Lethargy, voice loss, weight loss, thirst

Old April 4th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Lethargy, voice loss, weight loss, thirst

Our 11 year old cat who is usually pretty spry just lies around
everyday and doesn't eat as much and is losing weight. She has
increased thirst too. All of this sounds like diabetes, but she has
also lost her voice. She doesn't purr anymore and when she does meow
(which isn't very often anymore), she sounds really hoarse and it
usually either sounds like a little squeak or kind of a hiss. She
doesn't seem to have any pain anywhere in her body. We've got her an
appointment with the vet, but we tried to put it off for a while
hoping it was just a cold or something, because it's so traumatic for
her to go to the vet, and we hate putting her through that. Does
anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her? I'd just like to
hear some guesses before her appointment tommorow. Thanks!

Old April 4th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Could be damage to the throat
a tumor
diabetes
many possibilities

Make sure you list all the symptoms so the vet knows

Was the furball exposed to the any bad pet food list in mass pet food recall

ups.com...

Old April 4th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

On Apr 3, 5:38 pm, wrote:
Our 11 year old cat who is usually pretty spry just lies around
everyday and doesn't eat as much and is losing weight. She has
increased thirst too. All of this sounds like diabetes, but she has
also lost her voice. She doesn't purr anymore and when she does meow
(which isn't very often anymore), she sounds really hoarse and it
usually either sounds like a little squeak or kind of a hiss. She
doesn't seem to have any pain anywhere in her body. We've got her an
appointment with the vet, but we tried to put it off for a while
hoping it was just a cold or something, because it's so traumatic for
her to go to the vet, and we hate putting her through that. Does
anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her? I'd just like to
hear some guesses before her appointment tommorow. Thanks!

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Don't be surprised if they
want to check her thyroid levels. Hyperthyroidism can cause rapid and
significant weight loss in older cats, and also causes hypertension
which results in larger amounts of urine loss from pressure effects in
the kidneys. I'm not sure about the voice, but the thyroid is in the
neck region, and if there is a mass effect in the neck, it could
theoretically affect both the thyroid and the larynx.

Diabetes is still a strong contender too, and more reason to go sooner
rather than later since it can occasionally present as a silent
killer, even in people, where the diagnosis gets made after someone
passed away in their bed. Fortunately you already have an appointment
made. Weight loss in cats should always be attended to immediately,
since they can die quite quickly even from plain digestive complaints
that result in a biochemical storm known as fatty liver. Is your cat
at all overweight to begin with?

--tension

Old April 4th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On 3 Apr 2007 17:38:31 -0700, wrote:

Our 11 year old cat who is usually pretty spry just lies around
everyday and doesn't eat as much and is losing weight. She has
increased thirst too. All of this sounds like diabetes, but she has
also lost her voice. She doesn't purr anymore and when she does meow
(which isn't very often anymore), she sounds really hoarse and it
usually either sounds like a little squeak or kind of a hiss. She
doesn't seem to have any pain anywhere in her body. We've got her an
appointment with the vet, but we tried to put it off for a while
hoping it was just a cold or something, because it's so traumatic for
her to go to the vet, and we hate putting her through that. Does
anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her? I'd just like to
hear some guesses before her appointment tommorow. Thanks!

Defintely sounds like you need bloodwork done.

Kira had these symptoms too, and she was anemic. She fought it all
summer and then suddenly developed kidney failure and died iin
October.

When it started, I described her as lethargic, not eating, and her
meow-er was broken. I don't know how to spell it, but I say the meow
as one syllable, but spelled that way looks like a lawn mower.

Anyway, he mouth opened a lot, but very little came out.

Old April 4th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Moongal

wrote in message
ups.com...
Our 11 year old cat who is usually pretty spry just lies around
everyday and doesn't eat as much and is losing weight. She has
increased thirst too. All of this sounds like diabetes, but she has
also lost her voice. She doesn't purr anymore and when she does meow
(which isn't very often anymore), she sounds really hoarse and it
usually either sounds like a little squeak or kind of a hiss. She
doesn't seem to have any pain anywhere in her body. We've got her an
appointment with the vet, but we tried to put it off for a while
hoping it was just a cold or something, because it's so traumatic for
her to go to the vet, and we hate putting her through that. Does
anyone have any idea what might be wrong with her? I'd just like to
hear some guesses before her appointment tommorow. Thanks!

You should definately get some blood work done. My cat has those same
symptoms, he has kidney failure and he's anemic, but without the blood work
it's hard to tell for sure because those symptoms can apply to other things
too and you need to know so you can treat your cat properly.

Good luck, I hope it's something that can be cured.

Old April 4th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 4, 7:34 am, "Moongal" wrote:
You should definately get some blood work done. My cat has those same

symptoms, he has kidney failure and he's anemic, but without the blood work
it's hard to tell for sure because those symptoms can apply to other things
too and you need to know so you can treat your cat properly.

Good luck, I hope it's something that can be cured.

Well, it's not good news. According to the vet, she's a very sick
cat. She has some sort of auto-immune problem and she's severly
anemic. Basically now we have no choice but to give her steroids
twice a day that will either make her better, or, if she has a kidney
or liver problem, make her worse, and kill her.

Old April 4th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Make sure you get another vets advice

When will the blood work be back?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old April 4th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Matthew wrote:
Make sure you get another vets advice

When will the blood work be back?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 4, 7:34 am, "Moongal" wrote:
You should definately get some blood work done. My cat has those same
symptoms, he has kidney failure and he's anemic, but without the blood
work
it's hard to tell for sure because those symptoms can apply to other
things
too and you need to know so you can treat your cat properly.

Good luck, I hope it's something that can be cured.

Well, it's not good news. According to the vet, she's a very sick
cat. She has some sort of auto-immune problem and she's severly
anemic. Basically now we have no choice but to give her steroids
twice a day that will either make her better, or, if she has a kidney
or liver problem, make her worse, and kill her.

Well, they can't even test the blood. They tried a couple of times
(she loved being dragged back out to have blood drawn again, as you
can imagine) and they can't do anything with it because she's so
anemic, so they can't determine if she has any kidney or liver
problems. So she says the only thing we can do is to give her the
pills and see if she gets better or worse, and if she gets worse,
there's nothing that can be done for her. They first suspected
diabetes and ruled that out through a urine test.

Old April 4th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Moongal

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, they can't even test the blood. They tried a couple of times
(she loved being dragged back out to have blood drawn again, as you
can imagine) and they can't do anything with it because she's so
anemic, so they can't determine if she has any kidney or liver
problems. So she says the only thing we can do is to give her the
pills and see if she gets better or worse, and if she gets worse,
there's nothing that can be done for her. They first suspected
diabetes and ruled that out through a urine test.

How would the vet know your cat is anemic without a blood test? The
symptoms sure sound like it, but I didn't think you could know for sure
without testing the blood (I'm certainly not a medical expert though!)

Anyway, I don't know about liver problems, but if it's kidney problems your
cat can be treated. It's more like palative care, but she could have much
more time. My cat has surprised everyone at the vets with how well he has
been doing these last few months even though he has kidney failure and
anemia. In fact he's in my lap right now tapping me to keep petting him.
I don't like that your vet says there is nothing that can be done. If you
can, try for a second opinion.

My thoughts are with you. I really hope the pills she is taking now really
help her.