Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

Old May 8th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rona Y.

Default Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

On May 8, 10:18 am, "cybercat" wrote:

I was talking about cat food. I had not noticed the crossposting.

I was talking about pet food, in general. I hadn't noticed the cross-
posting, either, but I felt it was important to point out that almost
no large pet food company is free of problems in this matter. Purina
might not have problems with their cat food, but they still had
problems with some of their food. Because of that, they aren't any
more trustworthy than Hill's in this matter (who also had two foods
recalled--the savoury cuts line and m/d).

Sorry for making it seem like there might be a company we can trust. What I
meant was, "PANIC! NO FOOD IS SAFE! OUR FOOD IS PROBABLY NEXT! AS A MATTER
OF FACT, THAT BURGER YOU HAD FOR LUNCH IS PROBABLY CONTAMINATED!!!

What I assume is sarcasm aside, people are already panicking. In
fact, people seem to be panicking more about this than they are about
any of the contaminated food (spinach, ground beef, lettuce) that
killed humans, and those things were actually grown/raised in the US.
To a certain degree, that worries me more than the pet food scandal.

And there really aren't many companies (pet food or not) that can be
100% trusted. That's just a fact. I'm not panicking over it, nor am
I getting paranoid. I just accept it, and then make any purchasing
decisions based on the information I have on hand, and based on the
least of all evils.

rona

Old May 8th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sherry

On May 8, 6:08�am, "Rona Y." wrote:
[...]

The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
folks, who seem
all that concerned. Some people have seen the signs on the store
shelves, but
don't really even know much about the recall at all. It's been on the
news,
but not anything like the coverage given to the peanut butter thing.
They're very blase about
it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
actually seen too
little concern about it.

Sherry

Old May 8th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 08 May 2007 09:36:46 -0500, diddy
wrote:

in thread ps.com: Sherry
whittled the following words:

They're very blase about
it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
actually seen too
little concern about it.

Why would they be concerned about it. If they were Feeding Science Diet
Dry, they WERE ok.
There were no recalls on Science Diet dry "DOG" foods, and only one recall
on Science diet dry prescription cat food.

Which is even worse. You pay top dollar for a 'prescription' food
that is supposed to help a medical condition, and it could kill your
cat.

Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

Mustang Sally

Old May 8th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

sighthounds & siberians wrote in
:

Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

I couldn't agree more.

Tara
Old May 8th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 08 May 2007 10:51:41 -0500, diddy
wrote:

in thread 4.196: Tara
whittled the following words:

sighthounds & siberians wrote in
:

Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

I couldn't agree more.

Tara

I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product not
on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it

Except that some people, myself included, do not want to buy food from
any of the companies whose products were recalled.

Mustang Sally

Old May 8th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

diddy wrote:

I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product not
on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it

You have *got* to be joking.

--
Shelly
Old May 8th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

diddy wrote in
:

in thread . net:
Shelly whittled the following words:

diddy wrote:

I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a
product not on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep
over it

You have *got* to be joking.

Nope, Why should I be? You can worry yourself to death over
possibilities. I'm not going to spent my lifetime in paranoia land

Its not "paranoia land" to be furious with a company for being more
concerned with cheap ingredients than the health of my pets.

I'm not going to reward them with my money any more than I would walk into
a pet shop that sells puppymill pups and become a regular customer of
theirs.

That's not paranoia, that's letting them know I don't support that
practice.

Big difference. Huge.

Tara
Old May 8th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

diddy wrote:

Nope, Why should I be? You can worry yourself to death over possibilities.

I'm not worried to death. But I am neither stupid nor naive enough
to think that because a food has not (yet!) been recalled, it is
safe. There are thousands of dead and dying pets who were fed food
that was not (yet!) recalled.

I'm not going to spent my lifetime in paranoia land

There is paranoia, and then there is sticking your head in the sand.
Somewhere between the two is the land where reasonable people dwell.

--
Shelly
Old May 8th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread ps.com: Sherry
whittled the following words:

They're very blase about
it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
actually seen too
little concern about it.

Why would they be concerned about it. If they were Feeding Science Diet
Dry, they WERE ok.
There were no recalls on Science Diet dry "DOG" foods, and only one recall
on Science diet dry prescription cat food.

The point is, because the recall started out small and keeps expanding, and
includes so-called "premium" brands that people pay extra for, as well as
"store" brands, we are supposed to believe that NO pet food is safe.

It is horse ****.

Old May 8th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cybercat

"Sherry" wrote

The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
folks, who seem all that concerned.

And are their pets sick or dying?