Getting New Cats, Seeking Advice Thereupon

Old July 7th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robotech_Master

Default Getting New Cats, Seeking Advice Thereupon

My old cat just recently left me, and I'm planning to get another. In
fact, I'm planning to get two more, so they will have each other for
company while I am at work.

The cats do not yet know each other; they have never met. One is a 1
1/2 year old male Bengal cat (neutered, or will be): the other is a
2-or-so year old spayed female moggie down at my vet's.

Would it be best to introduce them both to their new home at the same
time, so they can get acquainted with me and each other before either
has had a chance to form a territorial attachment? Will I still need
to do the "separate rooms and feed each other on opposite sides of the
door" getting-acquainted time? Any other advice?

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
Old July 7th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Would it be best to introduce them both to their new home at the same
time, so they can get acquainted with me and each other before either
has had a chance to form a territorial attachment? *Will I still need
to do the "separate rooms and feed each other on opposite sides of the
door" getting-acquainted time? *Any other advice?

If it were me, I'd get them at the same time, but still keep them
separate until you get a sense of their personalities. Even if they
aren't used to your place, moving is still traumatic and they will
need some time to adjust to their surroundings (and you). If you can
get some Feliway diffusers, I would put one in each room where each
cat is.

Rene
Old July 7th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bobblespin

Robotech_Master wrote in
g:

My old cat just recently left me, and I'm planning to get another. In
fact, I'm planning to get two more, so they will have each other for
company while I am at work.

The cats do not yet know each other; they have never met. One is a 1
1/2 year old male Bengal cat (neutered, or will be): the other is a
2-or-so year old spayed female moggie down at my vet's.

Would it be best to introduce them both to their new home at the same
time, so they can get acquainted with me and each other before either
has had a chance to form a territorial attachment? Will I still need
to do the "separate rooms and feed each other on opposite sides of the
door" getting-acquainted time? Any other advice?

I've read that when cats go to a boarding place there is no problem putting
them in the same area because it isn't either one's territory. I would
think that would be the same in your case.

Bobble
Old July 7th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I've read that when cats go to a boarding place there is no problem putting
them in the same area because it isn't either one's territory. *I would
think that would be the same in your case.

The OP *could* do this, but IMHO, to minimize stress to the cats, it
makes more sense to separate them, even if for a couple of days. No
point in creating WWIII if you don't have to, KWIM?
Old July 7th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robotech_Master

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:24:15 -0700 (PDT), Rene
S. wrote:

The OP *could* do this, but IMHO, to minimize stress to the cats, it
makes more sense to separate them, even if for a couple of days. No
point in creating WWIII if you don't have to, KWIM?

Yeah, I think I'll introduce them gradually to each other--keep them
in different rooms, and every so often swap them between the rooms so
they can get used to each other's scent. The rescue agency says that
the bengal is very friendly and gets along well with other cats,
especially females.

Just have to see how things go, I expect. I'm quite looking forward to
it.

Old July 8th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to Robotech_Master :

The OP *could* do this, but IMHO, to minimize stress to the
cats, it makes more sense to separate them, even if for a couple
of days. No point in creating WWIII if you don't have to, KWIM?

Yeah, I think I'll introduce them gradually to each other--keep
them in different rooms, and every so often swap them between the
rooms so they can get used to each other's scent. The rescue
agency says that the bengal is very friendly and gets along well
with other cats, especially females.

Just have to see how things go, I expect. I'm quite looking
forward to it.

Hrmm... Rene S., is far more experienced than I, but I would be
tempted to feel this situation out.

I thought males and females naturally cohabited a LITTLE easier than
normally. Anyone?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old July 8th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I don't think there is any set rule...each cat is different. Right now, I
am having difficulty getting a female to cohabitate with my 2 male cats. I
agree with Rene S. I would introduce the 2 slowly. They make take to each
other right away...or they may not. Best to take it slowly and not have any
problems.

S.
---

Old July 8th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "blkcatgal" :

snip

I don't think there is any set rule...each cat is different.
Right now, I am having difficulty getting a female to cohabitate
with my 2 male cats. I agree with Rene S. I would introduce the
2 slowly. They make take to each other right away...or they may
not. Best to take it slowly and not have any problems.

How is that going by the way? Any headway on the "visible kitty"
approach?

Phat Kat and Gabby have been out, by themselves, and overnight for
probably a week now. It still gets too heated and Phat Kat seeks
shelter.

Once in a while we have and continue to anticipate having to put
Gabby up here and there.

We woke up the other night to yowling and pots and pans clattering.
Phat Kat somehow leaped onto the stove and I personally think picked
up 2 pots and hurtled them at Gabby -- I could be wrong though. ; )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old July 8th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"bobblespin" wrote in message

I've read that when cats go to a boarding place there is no problem

putting
them in the same area because it isn't either one's territory.

Most boarding facilities- including vets who board cats- keep the cats in
separate cages to avoid spreading undiagnosed or latent diseases as well as
avoiding intercat aggression. I don't know of any boarding facilities that
allow the cats to interact. I would be very surprised- and disappointed- to
see one.

I would
think that would be the same in your case.

I think it would be much safer- and wiser- to introduce the cats to each
other gradually- one sense at a time. First scent, then sight, then contact-
at least a week apart.

http://maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Old July 8th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robotech_Master

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:29:17 GMT, Phil P. wrote:

I think it would be much safer- and wiser- to introduce the cats to
each other gradually- one sense at a time. First scent, then sight,
then contact- at least a week apart.

http://maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Thanks for the link. Good advice on that page.

I was in touch with the lady who runs the rescue agency last night.
The agency is in Mansfield, about 45 miles away from Springfield where
I live; her "day job" (though I think she works a night shift) is with
the Springfield Police Department's K9 unit. She'll be bringing him
into town when she comes to work Friday evening, and I'll be picking
up Diva from the veterinarian's that day as well.

I'm quite excited about this, as it turns out that Benjamin is
actually an F3 (though a very gentle and good-natured one, according
to the lady--good with other cats, and with kids (including her
five-year-old)). He's going to be great big.