Cat Hostile to Friend After Neuter. Why? UPDATE

Old May 5th 04, 04:47 PM
Robyn

Default Cat Hostile to Friend After Neuter. Why? UPDATE

Hi, just wanted to post an update to my post from last week for those
that are interested. I still think it's really weird.. Anyway, Squidly
did finally quit hissing at Froggy, although I was starting to wonder.
So we do have peace and everyone is getting along. However, I don't
think these two will ever be friends again. They occasionally sniff in
passing, but that's all. Since Squidly kept warning him off all the
time, Froggy no longer even tries to go to his old friend, and Squidly
doesn't want anything to do with him. It's really sad.

The vet said that the smell of the cat changes after neutering, but
I'm not so sure about that. Froggy escaped yesterday and ran right out
to his feral brother in the back yard. They hadn't seen each other for a
couple of weeks, well before the neutering. And they greeted each other
just like long lost well... brothers. :-D

I'm sure it's just Squidly. He's always been an odd cat. When we took
him in last year we had a terrible time getting him to behave with the
other cats. It almost didn't work out. (We called him Squidward then,
for those who remember my posting about it.) It's a shame that he
finally got a friend and now this happens.

On the bright side, we took in one of Froggy's feral brothers a few
days ago, so poor rejected Froggy now has Blackie to tear around with.
We're considering moving out to give the cats more room. (J/K) Blackie's
a little lover, he was begging for scrambled eggs the next morning,
allowing petting by the end of that day, and now lets me pick him up for
short periods. He's going to be a nice cat. :-) It took Froggy weeks to
get that far, and he still hisses if I pick him up. (My S/O can pick him
up without the hissing. :-P.)

Didn't mean for my little update to turn into War & Peace, I've got a
bad habit of doing that. :-) Thanks to all for the good advice. I wish
it had turned out better, but at least we do have peace and nobody's
fighting.

Take care all,
Robyn
--
To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch

Robyn wrote:
Hi All,
I'm having more cat trouble lately. :-) Fortunately, most of it
has turned out well. Anyway, Some weeks ago we took in a young feral
cat, Froggy. He settled in well and has begun responding to affection
and allowing our touch. :-) But from the moment he joined us, he and
my neutered male, Squidly, have been fast friends. I mean, totally
inseparable. Always playing or sleeping together in a tangle. It's
wonderful to watch. Squidly grooms the little one just like a mother
and they roll around on the floor for hours playing.Here they a

http://www.wtv-zone.com/nutfish/cats/squidfrog1.jpg

Anyway, yesterday came Froggy's day for neutering. We brought the
little guy home last night and let him out. Squidly HISSED at him!
Just refused to have anything to do with him. In fact he actually
seems to be afraid of him a little. He hisses and growls whenever the
young one gets near him. It's heartbreaking, because Froggy's in a
little pain and groggy, and he wants to sleep with his buddy and be
comforted. You can actually see the confusion on his face. It's the
weirdest thing.

We thought it was maybe the strange smells from the vet, but here
it is the next day and still he hisses and snarls whenever Froggy
tries to approach him. I realize that time is probably the only cure
for this, if any, but I'm very curious about why this happened and if
there's anything I can do to help restore a lovely friendship. Thanks
for any insights. :-)

Robyn

Old May 6th 04, 02:58 AM
Professor

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Wed, 5 May 2004 11:47:16 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
It will get better. Fear not. It takes weeks for hormones to subside
after neutering, and sometimes cats just hold grudges for a while.
Several months back, before Jacob started getting Pepcid for his
upset tummy (stomach acid due to CRF), he got *very* hostile towards
Oscar out of the blue. I suspect that Oscar had come up and done his
usual sprawl-on-Jacob's-midsection routine and that it had hurt
Jacob. For many weeks after that, Jacob would hiss at Oscar any time
Oscar came near him, and it was just so sad to see how unhappy it
made Oscar (he very much views Jacob as his bond-buddy). Eventually,
though, Jacob chilled out, and now they're back to their yin-yang
piling on the bed.

Laura

Hey look, Laura posted something other than a flame. What gives? It is
only a matter of time until you tear into the next innocent poster. I kind
of feel sorry for Oscar and Jacob, having such a psycho for an owner.

Old May 6th 04, 03:15 AM
Mary

"Professor" wrote in message
"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Only in your mind, dickweed.

---

Old May 6th 04, 03:17 AM
Cheryl

"Professor" dumped this in
on 05 May 2004:

Hey look, Laura posted something other than a flame. What gives? It
is only a matter of time until you tear into the next innocent poster.
I kind of feel sorry for Oscar and Jacob, having such a psycho for an
owner.

I believe it is time to say that she owns you. You are only following up
her posts now. Can we say o-b-s-e-s-s-i-o-n ?

(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=obsession) -- fits you like a
tee. lol

--
Cheryl

Old May 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
"Professor" dumped this in
on 05 May 2004:

Hey look, Laura posted something other than a flame. What gives? It

is only a matter of time until you tear into the next innocent poster. I
kind of feel sorry for Oscar and Jacob, having such a psycho for an
owner.

I believe it is time to say that she owns you. You are only following up

her posts now. Can we say o-b-s-e-s-s-i-o-n ?

And can we say post humping? A clear sign that Laura is living in his head.

---

Old May 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message