Update on 2 kitty's living over my fence.

Old July 18th 04, 06:48 AM
suitta

Default Update on 2 kitty's living over my fence.

I wrote a couple of weeks ago for advice on handling a kitten and it's
mother living over my fence. Well, we invited the kitten, he's about 12 -
16 weeks old, into the house a few nights ago. I got an animal advocacy
group to donate some money toward his neuter. We took him to the vet today
and he's healthy and fixed and all spiffy looking. I am happy to report
he's leukemia/aids free. Next week I start looking for a home for him. The
mother will be fixed next month, after I trap her, by our local feral cat
coalition and I am trying to find a sanctuary that will take her. I know
relocation is not good, but she's become a pest to other neighbor's who I
don't trust not to hurt her. I do have one question. Our house cat was no
problem when we let the kitten in. Now, three day's later, he's been fixed
and tonight she's hissing and trying to smell his behind. She's shown
dominating actions since he came in, but nothing serious. Now, with the
hissing and agressiveness I'm afraid she may really mug him. Is this
normal? I'm guessing he smells different than he did before the neuter. Is
that right? Any advise is appreciated as I am really vexed.

thanks - Terri

Old July 18th 04, 02:19 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article vaoKc.24837$ve2.9487@okepread05, "suitta"
wrote:

[...]

I'd say your guess is spot on. Take a towel and rub it all over your
house cat, then rub it over the new guy, then back over your cat. That
may even out the scent and make him smell familiar again.

Priscilla

Old July 18th 04, 02:57 PM
Sherry

I wrote a couple of weeks ago for advice on handling a kitten and it's
mother living over my fence. Well, we invited the kitten, he's about 12 -
16 weeks old, into the house a few nights ago. I got an animal advocacy
group to donate some money toward his neuter.

Good job, Terri. You did a really good thing. Best of luck with your kitten &
getting Mama fixed. Don't worry about the hissing stuff. Mine even do that to
*each other* when they get back from the vet's. If they were getting along
before, they'll drop it in a day or two.

Sherry

Old July 18th 04, 03:03 PM
William Hamblen

On 2004-07-18, suitta wrote:
Our house cat was no
problem when we let the kitten in. Now, three day's later, he's been fixed
and tonight she's hissing and trying to smell his behind. She's shown
dominating actions since he came in, but nothing serious. Now, with the
hissing and agressiveness I'm afraid she may really mug him.

The surgical wound probably has triggered that behavior because it
smells like blood. You should keep them separated until the kitten
heals completely.

Old July 18th 04, 03:03 PM
William Hamblen

Old July 18th 04, 09:01 PM
MacCandace

Next week I start looking for a home for him. The
mother will be fixed next month, after I trap her, by our local feral cat
coalition and I am trying to find a sanctuary that will take her.

You're doing a good job. I'd be concerned about the mom cat getting pregnant
before then, though. Can you speed up her trapping?

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)