The Owl and the Pussy-Cat

Old March 28th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

Default The Owl and the Pussy-Cat

Saturday's "9 Chickweed Lane" comic is cute, and references the Edward
Lear poem "The Owl and the Pussy-Cat" (I think the reason I like that
strip so much is the literacy of the creator and the characters).

Links: strip - http://comics.com/9_chickweed_lane/
poem - http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/pussy.html

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old March 28th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
Saturday's "9 Chickweed Lane" comic is cute, and references the Edward
Lear poem "The Owl and the Pussy-Cat" (I think the reason I like that
strip so much is the literacy of the creator and the characters).

Links: strip - http://comics.com/9_chickweed_lane/
poem - http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/pussy.html

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and
Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

I liked that one too. I wonder how many people got it?

Joy

Old March 29th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:26:12 -0700, Joy wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
Saturday's "9 Chickweed Lane" comic is cute, and references the Edward
Lear poem "The Owl and the Pussy-Cat" (I think the reason I like that
strip so much is the literacy of the creator and the characters).

Links: strip - http://comics.com/9_chickweed_lane/
poem - http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/pussy.html

I liked that one too. I wonder how many people got it?

Joy

It took me a couple of minutes - then I realized the thing on the left was
an owl. From there it took only seconds: it *had* to be a literary
reference, and owl + cat = "The Owl and the Pussycat". It couldn't be
anything else. When I looked up the poem, I noticed that the illustration
at the top of the page bore a remarkable resemblance to the comic.

Old March 29th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:26:12 -0700, Joy wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
[...]

It didn't look much like an owl, did it. I thought of the reference
immediately, but decided it wasn't an owl. I tried to figure out what it
was, then saw the claws and realized it was some sort of bird. I started
trying to puzzle that out when I realized - Duh! An owl *is* a bird!
Bingo! The cartoonist must have patterned the picture after the
illustration. Otherwise he probably would have had a more owl-looking owl.

Joy

Old March 29th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Ted Davis wrote:
Saturday's "9 Chickweed Lane" comic is cute, and references the
Edward Lear poem "The Owl and the Pussy-Cat" (I think the reason I
like that strip so much is the literacy of the creator and the
characters).

Links: strip - http://comics.com/9_chickweed_lane/ poem -
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/pussy.html

I love that strip, especially the Hallmarks of Felinity (hallmarks from
1999-2004 are gathered on
http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~osbodr0...llmark00.html).

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old March 31st 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Joy wrote:
"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:26:12 -0700, Joy wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news Saturday's "9 Chickweed Lane" comic is cute, and references the Edward
[...]

IMHO a Scottish Fold cat looks like an owl, except for the beak/\

Should I microchip my pussy? James Cat health & behaviour 7 August 8th 07 03:13 PM
even if all pussy... reeper[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 9 June 12th 07 01:30 PM
See my pussy. James Cat anecdotes 10 January 27th 07 10:49 PM
pussy please chili palmer Cat health & behaviour 0 September 19th 06 10:38 PM
Good Pussy! Mr Tibbs Cat health & behaviour 10 February 11th 06 07:19 PM