Ding Dong the Witch is Gone! (OT and long)

Old September 25th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Ding Dong the Witch is Gone! (OT and long)

On Sep 24, 2:41 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
I just found out from a friend who works at the company where I used to work
that the woman who fired me after 11 years received the same treatment.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't like it when anyone loses their job. But
this woman pillaged and plundered her way through the 4 departments she was
over in IT*, firing people right and left or otherwise making their lives so
miserable they jumped ship.

She then moved on to a lofty position on the 3rd floor, which is where the
bigwigs reside. Corner office, all those happy horse apples. Apparently
her style didn't go over quite so well up there.

At this company, if you're fired the euphemism is so-and-so has been "given
the opportunity to pursue interests elsewhere". Apparently this past
summer, she was "given the opportunity". Can you say Karma? LOL

However, I am not simply posting this to gloat over the fact that she got a
dose of her own medicine. I was contacted by a job recruiter just before my
trip to ask if I'd like to go back to work there. I explained to her we
parted under less than favourable circumstances. (I also informed her of
the trip I couldn't cancel at that point.) She checked with her account
manager, the talked with her contact at the company. The long and short of
it is they would like to schedule an interview with me!

Two rays of sunshine but then another cloud. When I returned home from my
trip I had a message from my brother saying he was going to the emergency
room due to a feeling of tightness in his chest. They ran some tests. His
CT scan showed a mass in his lung several centimeters wide. They can't get
at it via a needle biopsy, so he's going in for surgery on Wednesday, 9/26.
They will remove the mass using video laproscopic something-or-other and
send it for testing to see if it's cancerous. Barring complications, he'll
be in the hospital 2-3 days.

So I relayed this information to the job recruiter, saying I really don't
know what's going on. My concern is, would it be fair for me to interview
and then if I get the job suddenly have to take time off to deal with a
critical family health issue?

First things first. She contacted the company and explained about his
surgery and the uncertain outcome. They graciously said they'd interview me
at my earliest convenience (assuming the position hadn't been filled).
That's very nice of them. I'll be touching base with her after his surgery
on Wednesday so she can keep them apprised.

So, I'm happy Karma came around for this woman and hopefully she learned
something from it. And there's a remote possibility I could go back to work
for the company I devoted so much of my time to. According to my friend who
still works there, there are very few people left that I knew, but the ones
who are left are the ones I loved to work with!

Jill

Purrs on the way Jill that your brother's issues can be resolved
quickly and that you are offered the job of your dreams and the timing
all works out.

Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old September 25th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Sep 24, 11:41 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

*No idea why this woman had any sort of authority in IT, let alone as much
authority as she did. She did not have an IT background. Email was the
extent of her knowledge and heck, 5 year olds can do that these days.

Jill, I hope you get the job, and that your brother's mass won't be
malignant.

It's about time you had some good luck.
I've got the girls on purr patrol.

Melissa

Old September 25th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_2_]

purrs for your brother to respond well to the treatment.

Also purrs for the job to come through.

Old September 25th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
First things first. She contacted the company and explained about
his surgery and the uncertain outcome. They graciously said they'd
interview me
at my earliest convenience (assuming the position hadn't been
filled). That's very nice of them. I'll be touching base with her
after his surgery
on Wednesday so she can keep them apprised.

Is there something you'd be doing for your brother during working
hours that couldn't be done by another family member?

If it turns out not to be benign, he'll need someone there for him
to help him out as he goes through chemo, radiation treatments, etc.
My other brother is not only rather flaky (read: not dependable), he
just started a new job himself and is on 6 months probation. He
can't take time off. I'm
already not working and don't want to start a new job only to have to
suddenly ask for family leave. Does that make sense? I'd rather
have a more concrete idea of what's going on before I schedule an
interview.

Yes, that does make sense. And, of course, it's not up to anyone
else but you to judge what you should do. I'm sorry your brother is
having to go through this, but I'm glad he has you to help him.

don't think I'd have told the recruiter about this after telling her
about the trip. I think they'll probably figure you don't really
want the job. And if you don't want the job, it would be nicer to
just tell the recruiter that (most on commissions so any time they
waste is like money out of their pockets).

The trip was scheduled and paid for since June. I couldn't cancel
or John would have been out a lot of money.

I totally understand not wanting to cancel your trip - on only the
chance of an interview (which might not result in a job, after all).

It wasn't a pleasure trip. Sure, we took a couple of days ahead of, and
after, to just relax. But when I go to these art shows with him I *work*.
It was sooo windy on the day of set-up I thought the canopy would blow away
before we could get it set up and anchored. Aside from that, I carry, frame
and hang paintings. Tearing it all down again is no piece of cake, either.
This is how I make money when I don't have a "real job".

I never said I didn't want the job. And the company said they are
willing to accomodate me regarding scheduling the interview, as long
as the position
hasn't already been filled. The recruiter is a 2 year lymphoma
survivor herself so she is completely sympathetic with the worry and
stress of not knowing, as well as the issues which arise should the
mass turn out to be malignant.

That's good! Again Jill, I'm sorry if my post sounded judgemental - I
didn't mean it to be.

Sorry, but it did, Lori. That's okay. I'm feeling a tad sensitive these
days to posts like this. I'm doing what I can do. I had a phone interview
last month (contacted by another recruiter) for a contract position at FedEX
doing software testing. It didn't pan out. It's not like I'm not looking.

Looking at this from another angle, this might make them even more
eager to hire you (playing hard to get is a legitmate tatic - even
when you're not playing!).

LOL True, but that's not what I'm doing. If they find someone else who
fits that's great, really. My first priority is my family, such as they
are. Heheh.

Anyway, good luck with the job, and again, purrs for a good outcome
with your brother's diagnosis.

Thanks. He asked me last night if I'd be there when he has the surgery, in
case he dies or something. He has this image of the television show ER
where they come out of the operating room to tell the family and there's no
one there He's not going to die, but I said I'll be at the hospital at
10am. Gee, I might even get to eat in the hospital cafeteria! LOL

Jill

Old September 25th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 24 Sep, 13:37, wrote:
Maybe she was sleeping with the big guys?

Ooo, low blow. Even for her.

One place I worked the manager was plainly not up to the job and drove
out me and the original manager out because we made her look bad- not
deliberately just couldn't help it and my brother speculated that
perhaps she had given the MD oral sex

When I said to my manager that that was my brothers theory, he went
white and said he'd always vowed he would do anything to keep a roof
over their heads and food on the table for his wife and their
children...But that he'd realised even he had a limit!

Purrs for your brother

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 25th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I apologize, Jill, I truly didn't mean to "ding" you - I so hate that email
and posts can't convey body language or tone of voice, I was just concerned.
I know how long you've been looking for work, the stress of that has got to
be tremendous. But nobody can judge what's best for you but you.

[...]

I know how that feels. When we first moved to Houston I had to have a
hysterectomy. Ben still had to go to work and there was nobody else in
Houston whom we knew. It's hard to be in the hospital alone - you can't
rely on nurses to be there for everything you need, they're just too busy.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jill

Old September 25th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 25 Sep, 04:01, "jmcquown" wrote:
Gee, I might even get to eat in the hospital cafeteria! LOL

Take it from someone who over the past year has had to eat many meals
in hospital cafeterias -Never mind the one at work- they recently
tarted it up and it is now impossible to get a basic meal, it's all
Chinese, Indian and pizza. Went once with a friend had a "speciality
pie" (Apparently "flown in daily from Cornwall"!) cost me over three
quid (and that was without any veggies) and afterwards I did what I
should have done in the first place- went ot the Friends snack bar in
outpatients and had a sandwich to fill me up!

Anyway unless you are very lucky (and honorable mentions to the salad
bar at Ravenscourt Park and the chips at Mile End which also had
occasional good meals but always good chips) it's not the sort of
experience I would recommend

Old September 26th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

jmcquown wrote:

Thanks. He asked me last night if I'd be there when he has the
surgery, in case he dies or something. He has this image of the
television show ER where they come out of the operating room to tell
the family and there's no one there He's not going to die, but I
said I'll be at the hospital at 10am. Gee, I might even get to eat
in the hospital cafeteria! LOL

Jill

It's too bad he's not going to the Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. No
caffeteria there but several very nice restaurants on the mezzanine
level. When Dennis was in there for 10 days for his back operation, I
ate sushi, really nice made-to-order sandwiches, steak and veggies,
Starbucks coffe etc. And since the hospital has all patients on a 2000
calorie per day diet, Dennis was eating that plus what I was bringing
for him from the restaurants!
Purrs for your brother and also for this job to pan out.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old September 26th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

badwilson wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Britta! Just so you know, I despise both sushi and sashimi
I've never had Starbucks coffee and would never be tempted to pay the
over-inflated prices for a cup. LOL The steak & veggies sounds good, as do
the custom sandwiches.

Scott will be fine. I'll be at the hospital at 10am tomorrow. He's really
worried about this, to the point where he said he's giving me a copy of his
power of attorney and his Will. Sheesh!

Regarding the job, since the woman and her counter-part in Human Resources
are both gone, I actually might have a shot at going back to work there.
I'm not going to hold my breath, but you never know.

Jill

Old September 26th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

jmcquown wrote:
badwilson wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

That's too bad you don't like sushi. I think it's the most wonderful
food ever. But there are huge variations in quality. I must admit that
the sushi in Bangkok was only adequate. Nothing compared to the
incredible sushi of Vancouver, which is said to be better than that in
Japan.
Starbucks in Thailand, while overpriced, is still seriously cheap
compared to what you'd pay anywhere else. And it is handy to get a
decent cup of coffee right in the hospital without having to go anywhere
else in the heat. I hate drinking bad coffee and would rather not have
any if it's not right.

Scott will be fine. I'll be at the hospital at 10am tomorrow. He's
really worried about this, to the point where he said he's giving me
a copy of his power of attorney and his Will. Sheesh!

He seems to be really pre-occupied with powers of attorney and wills
lately! I hope he will be fine and this experience will put things into
perspective for him. Also, getting a cat would be really great.

Regarding the job, since the woman and her counter-part in Human
Resources are both gone, I actually might have a shot at going back
to work there. I'm not going to hold my breath, but you never know.

Best of luck! I've got to run, my morning "me-time" is over and I'm off
to the hosue to do more door staining.