Easier than I thought!

Old July 13th 05, 05:10 AM
Pat

Default Easier than I thought!

You learn something new every day: I just found a quick way to eliminate
troll/heckler messages from the NG using Outlook Express.

My original process was: (1) highlight one of the unwanted messages, (2)
click the Message menu, (3) select "Create Rule from Message", (3) follow
those steps, (4) go to the Tools menu, (5) select Message Rules/News and
then (6) use "Apply Now..." for the newest Rule.

With the new method, I do is Steps 1 + 2 above, then click "Block Sender"
and OK, and they all disappear.

But I bet you all knew that already

Old July 13th 05, 07:33 AM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:10:48 -0500, "Pat"
yodeled:

You learn something new every day: I just found a quick way to eliminate
troll/heckler messages from the NG using Outlook Express.

My original process was: (1) highlight one of the unwanted messages, (2)
click the Message menu, (3) select "Create Rule from Message", (3) follow
those steps, (4) go to the Tools menu, (5) select Message Rules/News and
then (6) use "Apply Now..." for the newest Rule.

With the new method, I do is Steps 1 + 2 above, then click "Block Sender"
and OK, and they all disappear.

But I bet you all knew that already

Well, Microsoft has to give its own names to everything, but that's
pretty much what everyone else calls a "killfile."

Theresa
Old July 13th 05, 01:55 PM
Pat

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:10:48 -0500, "Pat"
yodeled:

You learn something new every day: I just found a quick way to eliminate
troll/heckler messages from the NG using Outlook Express.

My original process was: (1) highlight one of the unwanted messages, (2)
click the Message menu, (3) select "Create Rule from Message", (3) follow
those steps, (4) go to the Tools menu, (5) select Message Rules/News and
then (6) use "Apply Now..." for the newest Rule.

With the new method, I do Steps 1 + 2 above, then click "Block Sender"
and OK, and they all disappear.

But I bet you all knew that already

Well, Microsoft has to give its own names to everything, but that's
pretty much what everyone else calls a "killfile."

So you are saying that "block sender" is the same thing as "killfile",
right?

There is one flaw with the method: Replies to the trolls still show up, with
the original unwanted posts inside. Is there a solution to this?

Old July 13th 05, 01:57 PM
Victor Martinez

Pat wrote:
So you are saying that "block sender" is the same thing as "killfile",
right?

Technically, the archive where the blocked senders are stored is the
actual killfile.

There is one flaw with the method: Replies to the trolls still show up, with
the original unwanted posts inside. Is there a solution to this?

My old unix-based newsreader killed every post by offending trolls as
well as any replies that referenced posts by the trolls. I don't think
that's easily doable with modern newsreaders. Sad, isn't it? "Progress"
made newsreaders less capable.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 13th 05, 02:23 PM
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. Ish.

There is one flaw with the method: Replies to the trolls still show up,
with
the original unwanted posts inside. Is there a solution to this?

That is because the people who reply leave the trollpost in to show the
context of their message. I've never found a solution to this.
What I like about block sender is that OE says "would you like to remove
all messages.. from this sender.. etc now?" And I say yes, and hey presto,
they all disappear!!
On the other hand, you can kill the whole thread if you want to.

I have used both the methods that you have. I am on another group for
another interest I have where there is almost the worst troll in the world
who changes names & ISP's weekly and I used both methods there.

Until recently I didn't have a single person on rpca in my killfile. With
the influx of new posters coming over here from the other group because of
crossposting my kf is beginning to bulge..
Sad, isn't it?

Tweed

Old July 13th 05, 02:29 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , Victor
Martinez wrote:

Pat wrote:
So you are saying that "block sender" is the same thing as "killfile",
right?

Technically, the archive where the blocked senders are stored is the
actual killfile.

There is one flaw with the method: Replies to the trolls still show up,
with
the original unwanted posts inside. Is there a solution to this?

My old unix-based newsreader killed every post by offending trolls as
well as any replies that referenced posts by the trolls. I don't think
that's easily doable with modern newsreaders. Sad, isn't it? "Progress"
made newsreaders less capable.

Most of the UNIX readers allowed you to have filters for the body of
messages. I don't know of Windows or Mac ones that do. With UNIX
available under Mac OS X, I may go back to UNIX for reading mail.
Old July 13th 05, 02:54 PM
Pat

"Christina Websell" wrote

you can kill the whole thread if you want to.

Please tell me how this is done with OE.

Old July 13th 05, 03:01 PM
Victor Martinez

Pat wrote:
Please tell me how this is done with OE.

My guess is that you just press "k" while reading an offending message.
That seems to be a standard command.
It's working great for me, as far as I can tell, the group is back to
normal!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 13th 05, 03:24 PM
Biskybabe

On 2005-07-13 05:55:59 -0700, "Pat" said:

Well, Microsoft has to give its own names to everything, but that's
pretty much what everyone else calls a "killfile."

So you are saying that "block sender" is the same thing as "killfile",
right?

There is one flaw with the method: Replies to the trolls still show up, with
the original unwanted posts inside. Is there a solution to this?

trn had a great feature that said "kill this article and any article
following up to it." I've never seen it on another newsreader... but
I'll admit to being biased and not liking any reader I've tried since
trn.

Old July 13th 05, 03:32 PM
Victor Martinez

Biskybabe wrote:
trn had a great feature that said "kill this article and any article
following up to it." I've never seen it on another newsreader... but
I'll admit to being biased and not liking any reader I've tried since trn.

Gosh, I miss trn...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he