For those who live in Florida Rabies alert

Old December 29th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default For those who live in Florida Rabies alert

Rabies alert in Osceola county
http://www.local6.com/news/5699220/d... 2292005&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/cxtvr

Old December 29th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

NMR wrote:
Rabies alert in Osceola county
http://www.local6.com/news/5699220/d... 2292005&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/cxtvr

I am of the opinion that cats should live only indoors in the lap of
luxury with all necessary vaccinations. This will in fact eliminate the
possibility of rabies and numerous other feline diseases.

Old December 29th 05, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"NMR" wrote in message
. ..
Rabies alert in Osceola county

http://www.local6.com/news/5699220/d...d=265305504881
3&tml=orlpn_dailyforecast&tmi=orlpn_dailyforecast_ 1_04000112292005&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/cxtvr

Supposedly, Pasco County, where I live, has the largest incidences of rabies
right now. It's illegal to not immunize your animals yearly. I'm
oscillating between getting fined or giving my "kids" another yearly rabies
shot, however. I've heard they can contract some sort of illness from the
yearly shots and all the immunization they need is every *3* years. My cats
are indoor cats anyway.

Does anyone else have info on this?

kili

Old December 29th 05, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Old Salt" wrote in message
oups.com...

NMR wrote:
Rabies alert in Osceola county

http://www.local6.com/news/5699220/d... 2292005&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/cxtvr

I am of the opinion that cats should live only indoors in the lap of
luxury with all necessary vaccinations. This will in fact eliminate the
possibility of rabies and numerous other feline diseases.

I'm with you, Old Salt, but the UK crowd is going to disagree. They have
this "be fwee, wild creature" thing going, though of course cats are not
wild at all.

Old December 29th 05, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"NMR" wrote in message
. ..
Rabies alert in Osceola county

http://www.local6.com/news/5699220/d...d=265305504881
3&tml=orlpn_dailyforecast&tmi=orlpn_dailyforecast_ 1_04000112292005&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/cxtvr

Supposedly, Pasco County, where I live, has the largest incidences of
rabies
right now. It's illegal to not immunize your animals yearly. I'm
oscillating between getting fined or giving my "kids" another yearly
rabies
shot, however. I've heard they can contract some sort of illness from the
yearly shots and all the immunization they need is every *3* years. My
cats
are indoor cats anyway.

Does anyone else have info on this?

kili

Recent vet trip with all 3 cats for rabies shots revealed new 411 to me: vet
stated recent findings made known to vets are that 3-year vaccine provided
questionable protection for all 3 years (on % basis, like 80/20
effective/not effective - what if your cat was in the 20%?)
in studies of the 3-year vaccine. OTOH, the 1-year vaccine proved 100%
effective for full year against rabies.
Vet also informed me that even though my cats never go
outside and we have no screen nor way for them to interact with other
animals, the germs of any of the deadly
viruses protected against by the other immunizations can
come in on your shoes or pants legs - body secretions of any kind from
infected animals, so I opted for the full series of shots as well as their
rabies shots. AFA the "illness" from rabies injection site: it's a form of
sarcoma
cancer in very small % of rabies vaccine recipients; and
for this reason my vet injects vaccine into a rear leg instead of between
shoulder blades as IF (not likely) your cat would develop this lump there
(the sarcoma) a life-saving amputation would be far easier - gruesome detail
but I valued his honesty and care. I didn't ask if
the sarcoma - rare but a reality - develops more in the 1
or 3-year vaccine injection sites, but since I'd already rejected the 3-year
for reasons noted above, it didn't matter to me.Hope this helpful to you;
it's the law to give
cats/dogs rabies shots here also but believe me the cops are too busy to run
around looking for pets not having rabies tags, LOL. We do not live in
Florida.

Old December 29th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dnr" wrote in message
news

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"NMR" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks for the heads up, dnr. I'll ask my vet; my "kids" are due for their
shots in January, I believe.

kili

Old December 29th 05, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Well, my two are no longer getting shots AFAIC because of other health
issues. However, of note is that both Grant and SUgar were/are lump kitties
and we had switched to the new purevax shots. More expensive but guaranteed
not to cause reactions and it is true, they never had "the lumps that
wouldn't go away for months" once we switched to that. They are yearly, but
I think they are indeed safer. Just some more FYI.

"dnr" wrote in message
news

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

. ..

Old December 29th 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thanks for the heads up, dnr. I'll ask my vet; my "kids" are due for their
shots in January, I believe.

kili

Rabies and FeLV vaccines are both known to cause sarcomas in some of the
animals they're injected in to. However, that problem is not caused by the
viral component of the vaccination, but by the adjuvants - other things
added to improve the efficacy of the vaccine. While improving efficacy is
a noble goal, I'm not willing to expose my kitties to sarcoma
unnecessarily. PureVax does not contain adjuvants.

One of the other reasons for injecting rabies vaccine into a rear leg is
to identify which vaccine caused any sarcomas that show up. I don't have
notes in front of me, but the standard recommendation is to inject rabies
vacc into one of the hind legs, FeLV vacc into the other. But using
non-adjuvanted vaccines makes those concerns pretty much a non-issue.

Old December 29th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Rabies vaccine is given only to humans at high risk, such as
veterinarians, people who expect to be in the remote areas of countries
with large numbers of rabid animals, etc. Given the hazards of the
booster vaccines, however, people who have been vaccinated are tested
first for blood antibody levels.

If the levels are adequate for protection, no booster is needed that
year. If they are low, then the booster is given.

I don't know the costs of the antibody testing, but, if this were made
an option for cats, it might constitute a scientifically valid method
of exposing the furkids to the least possible number of rabies
vaccinations.
Old December 29th 05, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen" wrote in message
Well, my two are no longer getting shots AFAIC because of other health
issues. However, of note is that both Grant and SUgar were/are lump
kitties
and we had switched to the new purevax shots. More expensive but
guaranteed
not to cause reactions and it is true, they never had "the lumps that
wouldn't go away for months" once we switched to that. They are yearly,
but
I think they are indeed safer. Just some more FYI.

"dnr" wrote in message
news

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"NMR" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My cats are very large and very fiesty and during the injections, so much
commotion was going on with both the tech and me restraining them I didn't
notice which shot went into which leg (!) but it seemed like a waste of
money to get the 3-year rabies if vet said studies proved it not effective
for the full time. None of my cats over years have ever got any lumps at
injection site nor sarcomas. I
was amazed re the revelation about germs traveling into
house by foot (mine). We live and learn. The cats were upset bigtime by our
vet visit - not by their treatment, but
just coincidence - LOL - Santa was there that day, posing for photos with
many large dogs, who, while waiting, came over to sniff the doors of my
carriers, initiating much hissing, "popping", and yelling from the
incarcerated ones.