Little Bit Update

Old September 20th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_2_]

Default Little Bit Update

Just got back from TED, and really no real news to report. As
suggested, we did so a blood test, and the results looked pretty good.
Everything, including glucose, was well within normal ranges, except
for the Sodium level with was slightly elevated (166 and the normal
range is 150 to 165) Ted said that probably just means she needs a
drink after the stress of being stuck in an box and hauled in.

She also tested positive for FIV, which initially freaked me out.
However, she received the FIV immunization when I first adopted her,
back before I made the decision that she would be indoor only. I
didn't even think to tell TED that when we were there. From what I
understand - and I'll google it and make sure - once a cat is
immunized false positives are fairly common since there will be some
FIV antibioties in the blood.

Aside from the FIV positve test result, which I think I have an
explanation for, TED was happy with her progress. The way she
responded to the steriod suggests she received an injury, although a
tumor is still a possibility. LB is now walking, well stumbling may be
more like it. At least she can stand and walk across the living room
without having to drag her legs. We'll begin tapering off the steroid
tomorrow.

Sammy and Spot are not going to be happy with her though. They're both
scheduled for blood work next week. I'm going to go ahead and get a
blood profile on them even if LB's FIV result can be explained by her
immunization. It's been a couple years since Sammy last had a profile
done, and Spotty just the one time before her spay last year.

Old September 20th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-09-19 19:03:31 -0500, Steve Touchstone said:

[...]

If you gave her the immunization then, yes, there is no point in
testing. It will be false. It's good she is getting better. Did they
talk about thrombosis at all? She might have thrown a blood clot. That
can be fatal but sometimes they can get over it for a while. I sure
hope she gets to feeling better. It sucks to not know what is wrong.

Old September 20th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_2_]

Karen wrote:

If you gave her the immunization then, yes, there is no point in
testing. It will be false.

Yeah, once I googled and read about the immunization I remembered
that. At the time the immunization sounded like a good idea. Then I
read about lost cats being routinely PTS at some shelters when they
came back positive, it no longer made sense for my cats, who are low
risk because they are indoor only.

It's good she is getting better. Did they
talk about thrombosis at all? She might have thrown a blood clot. That
can be fatal but sometimes they can get over it for a while. I sure
hope she gets to feeling better. It sucks to not know what is wrong.

The vet seemed to be leaning towards an unexplained injury. After the
FIV test eveything shifted to explaining that FIV positive cats could
still live a happy, good quality life. Partly my fault for not
remembering and mentioning the immunization back in 2003. OTOH, I
can't help being a little put out by the vet not asking if she'd been
immunized since that would have reminded me. Or, she could have
checked Little Bit's records. Afterall she received the immunization
at this clinic, where she's been a patient since 2001.

Old September 20th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-09-19 22:37:22 -0500, Steve Touchstone said:

Karen wrote:

If you gave her the immunization then, yes, there is no point in
testing. It will be false.

Yeah, once I googled and read about the immunization I remembered
that. At the time the immunization sounded like a good idea. Then I
read about lost cats being routinely PTS at some shelters when they
came back positive, it no longer made sense for my cats, who are low
risk because they are indoor only.

It's good she is getting better. Did they
talk about thrombosis at all? She might have thrown a blood clot. That
can be fatal but sometimes they can get over it for a while. I sure
hope she gets to feeling better. It sucks to not know what is wrong.

The vet seemed to be leaning towards an unexplained injury.

Oh yeah, that could be. All it would take is a tumble the wrong way.

After the
FIV test eveything shifted to explaining that FIV positive cats could
still live a happy, good quality life. Partly my fault for not
remembering and mentioning the immunization back in 2003. OTOH, I
can't help being a little put out by the vet not asking if she'd been
immunized since that would have reminded me. Or, she could have
checked Little Bit's records. Afterall she received the immunization
at this clinic, where she's been a patient since 2001.

That's a bit wierd. You would think it would be there in the records,
but then it might have been buried, and not very many people get the
FIV shots for the very reasons you state.

Old September 20th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Steve Touchstone wrote:
Aside from the FIV positve test result, which I think I have an
explanation for, TED was happy with her progress. The way she
responded to the steriod suggests she received an injury, although a
tumor is still a possibility. LB is now walking, well stumbling may be
more like it. At least she can stand and walk across the living room
without having to drag her legs. We'll begin tapering off the steroid
tomorrow.

I hope you're right about why LB tested positive for FIV. Purrs for your
little clowder. I hope you find out what's wrong.

Old September 20th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Steve Touchstone wrote:
Just got back from TED, and really no real news to report. As
suggested, we did so a blood test, and the results looked pretty good.
Everything, including glucose, was well within normal ranges, except
for the Sodium level with was slightly elevated (166 and the normal
range is 150 to 165) Ted said that probably just means she needs a
drink after the stress of being stuck in an box and hauled in.

snip

Thanks for the update. Continuing purrs for Little Bit.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 23rd 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Steve Touchstone wrote:

[...]

Continued purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek