Odessa in hospital :-( (long)

Old September 22nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Default Odessa in hospital :-( (long)

Yesterday morning we ran our Odessa-Doll to the vet. An all day stay turned
last night into a transfer to an animal ICU an hour's drive from home.

Thurday night we got home from work to find Odessa laying on her side like a
downwd horse, coughing like all hell. We could tell there was something stuck
in there. She hadn't eaten all day.We were up all night with her; something
in our guts told us to give fluids the only way we could, with a baby
medicine syringe I got free at some local thing. Thank God and all the saints
for my fondness for free crapola. Our guts also told us to get her somewhat
inverted and pat her around the ribs.

The vet told us this probably saved her; the water helped thin out the horrid
stuff round her throat as well as simply hydrating, and the upside-down
gymnastics were a species of kitty heimlich. We learned she was a whisker
away from choking.

I called my boss and told him damn the numbers I had to call, I had a vet
visit to make and NOW. She was admitted and put into a contained cage where
they pumped oxygen mixed with a nebulised antibiotic, and later in the
afternoon we had to move her to this big veterinary complex in what we call
'the southtowns." We live in "the northtowns" and damn the gas prices at this
point, and damn the traffic laws; Louie blew them all off even as we passed
police cars in cetain localities known for stopping minorities for no good
reason. We weren't stopped, a small miracle. Probably because Louie was
breaking everything in the book. If he'd been Sunday-driving we'd hve been
pulled over for sure. It was a long drive but this hospital is the most state-
of-the-art place for animals in the area and Dolly can't be in better hands.
The shelter where we got her uses the place for their initial exams, and the
most critically injured of their rescues. Odessa is, in effect, in an ICU;
the unofficial diagnosis is pneumonia, brought on by the suppression of her
immunities created by anaesthesia from the dental operation, and subsequent
steroids that allowed the gingival infection to move to the tonsils and
southward. Ballplayers get big biceps, my Dolly gets pneumonia. Some illegal
muscles would have been nice, for Godsake...

We did go to work, at least for a while. Vince, my manager, was glad to see
me but thought I ought to be home. He didn't get that I needed the work,
would have gone nuts with worry. Louie too. When he heard that we needed to
move Odessa he signed out, thining he'd be back around 6. No such luck. We
hung about Orchard Park about 3 hours, waiting on test results and a chance
to visit Dolly before going home. She was already looking better.

God, did we sleep! We watched a Nanny tape to take the edge off, but I don't
remember it. I zonked right the hell out. It helped that I'd been a little
naughty and had taken a drink. I went to work in the afternoon in the midst
of an impromptu office party, for the collectors were celebrating that not
only did everyone "meet goal," they got bonuses all of them. Big ones. And
one of them used his to buy food for the office and a bottle of Hennessey.
Just before leaving for the afternoon, I'd decided to take me a shot, for as
tired as I was from being up all night with Odessa-Doll, I was running on
pure manic nerves. By the time we'd gotten home the shot had worn off but had
done its job. I landed in bed and slept like a rock.

We'll know later what's up, whether we can take Odessa home later or need to
leave her. If we bring her back she needs a good week of sequestering; it'll
depend too on if they can get her to eat. I know she wants too as she had
tried, but Thursday all the pep was out of her.

I warned the vet that Louie and I are absolute pests about knowing out
babies' conditions and will call so much it'll make her crazy.

The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to bring our
Odessa-Doll though?

Blessed be,
Baha

Old September 22nd 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
snip
The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to
bring our Odessa-Doll though?

Blessed be,
Baha

Poor baby! :-( More purrs on the way for Odessa.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 22nd 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to bring our
Odessa-Doll though?

Lots and lots of healing purrs on the way. Please keep us posted.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 22nd 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Baha via CatKB.com" u18616@uwe wrote in message news:78993eb0b56a2@uwe...
..

The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to bring
our
Odessa-Doll though?

Blessed be,
Baha

Purrs a-plenty, not only for Odessa, but for your nerves, and your
pocketbooks as well...
--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:

Old September 22nd 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

[...]

We are directing concentrated get-well purrs at Odessa, and stress-reduction
purrs at you and Louie.

Old September 22nd 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Baha wrote:
Yesterday morning we ran our Odessa-Doll to the vet. An all day stay turned
last night into a transfer to an animal ICU an hour's drive from home.

We just talked to the Orchard Park vet; Odessa is eating, than k God, an d
apparently with good gusto! They have reported that she's very alert and
respondig well to all treatment, and theythik we can bring her home tomorrow
after some more nebulizing.

Thanks to all.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old September 22nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Oy. Louie has concerns about affording next semester (he is taking some
statistics classes.) The job will reimburse part of the tuition if he gets
good grades, which he should; he does math in his sleep. We moved a bit from
savings to cover the OP vet, and our regular vet has given us an organizing
of sorts; that is to say their busting up the amount we owe from the
beginning of this nightmare. On the whole, everyon e's b een quite good ab
out it...except our other cats, who've been going bats since last night. They
know something's weird.

I think our Dolly, like Mary Tyler Moore, is going to make it after all.

Blessed be,
Baha

.

Old September 22nd 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
.

The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to bring
our
Odessa-Doll though?

Blessed be,
Baha

Purrs a-plenty, not only for Odessa, but for your nerves, and your
pocketbooks as well...

Lot's of healing and stress reduction purrs comming from the Chigger
Ranch Crew...Keep us posted!

--Kim

Old September 22nd 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
[...]

(snippage)
The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to
bring our Odessa-Doll though?

Blessed be,
Baha

Purrs on the way for your sweet Odessa. And for you and Louie, too.

Jill

Old September 22nd 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

(snippage)
The purrs have kept her going this far. Please spare a few more to
bring our Odessa-Doll though?

Many purrs and Bright Blessings for Odessa.

--Fil

Can Odessa have a few more purrs? Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 17 September 10th 07 10:15 PM
Odessa purrs please! Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 7 August 19th 07 10:14 PM
Mad Odessa Singh Cat anecdotes 3 June 14th 06 03:44 AM
Odessa, you little brat! Singh Cat anecdotes 10 December 13th 04 03:47 AM
WELCOME ODESSA!!! Singh Cat anecdotes 87 October 20th 04 04:55 AM