Furby, locksmith

Old January 15th 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

Default Furby, locksmith

Lately, within the past week, Furby has discovered the joy of opening
things. The only cupboards safe from her are the upper ones which she
can't reach. Here she has climbed into the pantry
http://tinyurl.com/8mnhke looking for the catfood. She found the
canned stuff http://tinyurl.com/82ncfc but prefers dry food, which is
stored in an upper pantry which, so far at least, she hasn't managed
to figure out how to climb up and open. She's also found out how to
open the drawer under the work bench where I keep cleaning rags.
http://tinyurl.com/84w4rt Princess has also decided this is a good nap
spot, http://tinyurl.com/7g2wzt but so far, Princess has to wait for
Furby to open the drawer. Also, I'm willing to bet that the reason
I've found the door to the fridge open a couple times recently is
because Furby learned to pull the door open by pulling on the towel I
kept hanging there.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old January 15th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Piglet can open the fridge, Just sits and keeps pressure in one spot long
enough and it opens.

Old January 16th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Sounds like you need child proof locks.

--
Ann
in Connecticut

Old January 16th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ann wrote:
Sounds like you need child proof locks.

Most likely! I know the magnetic catches most modern cabinets use are
no challenge at all to any cat I've ever had. Of course, mine manage to
open the (very heavy) sliding wooden doors to my clothes closets at
will, too. The smaller of the two learned the trick first - she keeps
throwing her body against the door until the vibration of the repeated
impact creates a small gap, then lodges a paw in the space and keeps
pushing. (It doesn't take a very wide gap, if a cat really wants "in"!)

Old January 17th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2009-01-15 00:58:11 -0600, Steve Touchstone
said:

[...]

Oh my! You might need child proof locks soon!

Old January 17th 09, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On 2009-01-15 00:58:11 -0600, Steve Touchstone
said:

[...]

I'm pretty much used to it, since Sammy has been doing this pretty
much all her life. I just don't keep anything that I mind them getting
into in the bottom cabinets. Sammy does get into the top of the pantry
on occasion (where I keep the kibble), so I've switched the location
in case Furby follows her up there.
Old January 17th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Steve Touchstone wrote:
[...]

Oh, so that's what she was doing. I can't imagine her opening the
fridge by pulling on a towel - wouldn't the towel just fall off? You
have to watch out, or else they'll spoil all your food.

Here, it's Dot who is inclined to open things, and Buster watches Dot
and copies her. He fortunately doesn't seem to have figured out yet
that he has thumbs, while she doesn't.