Medicating KFC

Old January 21st 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Medicating KFC

I was late for work this morning because it was far more difficult than I'd
hoped and took a lot of time.
I apologised when I got in 20 mins late and explained the situation to the
senior practitioner, Steve, that I had a very old cat who was ill, which he
knew, and it was proving time-consuming to give her medication.
He asked me how old she was and I said 24. He said "isn't that outside the
lifespan of most cats?" I said yes, probably.
He said "why are you keeping such an old animal? She is destined to get
iller and iller, surely?
Another colleague, Tom, rolled his eyes at me and said "Steve, shut up now"
He did not shut up. He kept on and on and I got annoyed. I asked him if he
thought I was not giving my cat the best veterinary attention possible. He
said no, but he still kept on about the wisdom of keeping such an old cat
alive. It seemed that he thought it was time that KFC was put down.
I rose up from my chair and everyone ducked.

He is senior to me in the workplace but what do I care? I stood in front of
him, rose my hands and said "please do not tell me how to look after my cat,
you know nothing about it"
He kept on. I said "you'd better not continue with this subject, or I will
get very angry."
Tom nudged him and said "Tina very rarely gets angry but when she does it's
spectacular so STFU"
He did.
That's the trouble with social workers, they sometimes think they are the
most ethical people in the world ;-)

Tweed

Old January 21st 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Christina Websell wrote:

He
said no, but he still kept on about the wisdom of keeping such an old cat
alive. It seemed that he thought it was time that KFC was put down.

I do hope there is nobody like him in charge of any NHS services if he
finds himself old, still active, but in need of medical care... :-/

BTW, if I was nearer I would gladly help you with KFC's meds but sadly
it is a bit far to come - am thinking of you with supportive thoughts,
anyway.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old January 21st 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

He
said no, but he still kept on about the wisdom of keeping such an old cat
alive. It seemed that he thought it was time that KFC was put down.

I do hope there is nobody like him in charge of any NHS services if he
finds himself old, still active, but in need of medical care... :-/

Don't worry, he was well slapped by myself and Tom and told to reconsider.
Tom has a dog and cat and a few chickens himself.
Steve has apologised to me now but it's not enough.
How dare he!

BTW, if I was nearer I would gladly help you with KFC's meds but sadly
it is a bit far to come - am thinking of you with supportive thoughts,
anyway.

Thanks for the thought, anyway. I could ask June to come I suppose but I
prefer to use her for real emergencies.
If I asked her to come she would but she has thirty or so whippets and a
husband who seems unable to stir his own cup of tea.
Don't start me on the husband who has to have a particular fork with two
tines bent downwards to pick up his peas.

Tweed

Old January 21st 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Jan 21, 11:38*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

I'll be honest, when all this started with KFC, it reminded me of a
lot of cases I've seen in the vet clinic.

I have my personal opinions, but as in the veterinary clinic, I felt
it was better to keep them to myself and to respect the wishes of the
client, whether I agree with them or not.

We see this all the time, and regardless of how we the techs feel, it
really is up to the owner how they really want to proceed and take
care of their cat.

And it's true, no matter how I feel about this, Tweed, she is your
baby and you give her the best love and care you feel is necessary. I
can already tell you are very sensitive to her situation and can tell
if she is suffering. Some clients I have seen become so blinded that
they are unable to see their pet is suffering. However, I am
confident that you are very aware of KFC's condition and will continue
to care for her and do your very best until the very end. You are a
wonderful pet owner and have given and will continue to give KFC lots
of love and care.

Purrs and hugs,

Kristi

ps, wish i was closer too. I've done a few freelance gigs where I've
gone to people's homes to help medicate their cats.
Old January 22nd 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Spot[_2_]

The last time a family member gave me crap about an old animal. I looked at
him and said - "well hell how about we just put you out of your misery when
you get old and decripit, don't you think it's fair what goes around comes
around"

There was not another word ever spoken of it again.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

Old January 23rd 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2009-01-21 15:34:34 -0600, "Christina Websell"

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Gosh. I would have been tempted to say "And at what age do YOU wish to
be exterminated?"

Old January 30th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2009-01-21 15:34:34 -0600, "Christina Websell"
said:

Thanks for the thought, anyway. I could ask June to come I suppose but I
prefer to use her for real emergencies.
If I asked her to come she would but she has thirty or so whippets and a
husband who seems unable to stir his own cup of tea.
Don't start me on the husband who has to have a particular fork with two
tines bent downwards to pick up his peas.

Tweed

Gosh. I would have been tempted to say "And at what age do YOU wish to be
exterminated?"

LOL. She's spoilt him. A while ago June was going away to judge a dog
show - he asked me if I would come and make him his dinner.
I said no way, I go to work and have enough to do here get up off your a**
and do it yourself.
He was shocked but not more than me that he thought he needed a woman to
make his food while he sat in his chair like a baby bird waiting to be fed.
He is perfectly capable of preparing a meal for himself even if it's just
fried eggs and bacon. He chooses to lie around wanting his wife, or someone
else to do it. We'd all like that, wouldn't we?
I'd love to get home from work and find that someone had prepared a meal for
me.

Tweed