question on eye infection

Old July 12th 03, 06:08 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Lauralai at
wrote on 7/12/03 1:33 AM:

hi
Tonight I went down to a place to pick up a kitten from an ad in the paper.
I was expecting to see a litter of kittens maybe 2 since the lady on the
phone said she had litters from 7 weeks to 12. When I got there I was
shocked, the lady had a bunch of kittens and cats there that were stray that
she had brought in. She had said that the animal control was there and said
she had 2 weeks to rehome the cats or they would take them, and that she
could only have one cat. Well she said the guy from the animal control said
she had at least 34 cats. Well my mother and I being the softies we were
ended up taking home a kitten, she's got a fairly bad eye infection, I mean
the inner eye lid is over the eye a little bit. I don't know how bad it is
on the scale of eye infections but anyway she has one. I am going to try
to get an appointment to the vet tomorrow to have it looked at. I know I
shouldn't have probably taken the kitten but at least this way I know it
will get the vet care it needs. I took a picture of the eye and it's
http://photo.starblvd.net/~Lauralai/...g?i=1059747040 and there are
other pictures of the kitten
http://photo.starblvd.net/Lauralai?s...pg=2&ro=2&co=2 and her eye. She
is still name less but hopefully she'll have a name soon.

So anyway I was wondering how congious are eye infections, I have another
cat and have not allowed them to be near each other but there's only a door
blocking the kitten from my other cat so I can only hope that the kitten
doesn't have anything serious. It's awfuly tiny though, I swear it's not
even a pound. The lady said it was born March 24 but she didn't even really
know that the kitten was there, she was kinda shocked that it was, only
makes you wonder how many more where like that, so anyway i don't think that
the kitten is older than 7 weeks, if not it wasn't feed that well, even
though there was food everywhere in the lady's place. On a good note though
the lady had food and water out and the litter boxes were clean since she
didn't use litter she had them trained to go on newspaper. She seemed to
switch the foods often though so this little girl has the runs, and it
smells fairly bad. I had no kitten food so i ended up going to the local
variety store and got some cans til i can go out tomorrow and get all the
supplies I need.

thanks for reading my ramble

Well, kitty needs a vet for sure. Some steady love and food will help her
feel more secure. Keep her separated until you know the health status. I've
certainly seen WAY worse eyes (Sherry, you should give her Jacky Boy's link
when you first got him). Let us know what the vet says. Good luck and I hope
everything turns out OK.

Karen

Old July 14th 03, 04:06 PM
Bill

"Lauralai" wrote in message
[...]

Eye infections, such as you describe, and upper respiratory infections are
very common in kittens that have been in an animal shelter or an overcrowded
situation. It is contagious and can be transmitted though the air. The
kitten should be quarantined for 7 to 10 days because it may have something
more serious than an eye infection.

You should take the kitten to the vet, who will probably prescribe
antibiotics. These infections usually take about 3 weeks to resolve. Be
sure to have the kitten tested for other infections, such as feline AIDS or
feline leukemia. There's a combo test for this.

I'd buy premium dry food (like Authority) for kittens for now and provide
plenty of water. Cow's milk may tend to give kittens the runs, so it's
usually a good idea to avoid it except perhaps in very small quantities when
her poop is normal.

Bill