Can cats be embarrassed?

Old January 24th 13, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Can cats be embarrassed?

Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

He *knows* that it is not allowed and I found him doing it. He was either
embarrassed or ashamed.
Another thing not to mention to him. I don't need to.
He is very aware that he can go all over the house except my bedroom and he
jumped into the air when I saw him in there.
I smiled to myself.
He absolutely knew he should not be in that room.

Tweed

Old January 24th 13, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

He *knows* that it is not allowed and I found him doing it. He was either
embarrassed or ashamed.

(snip)
Tweed

He didn't expect to get caught! Feeling a little guilty is more like it

Jill

Old January 25th 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my
bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

He *knows* that it is not allowed and I found him doing it. He was either
embarrassed or ashamed.

(snip)
Tweed

He didn't expect to get caught! Feeling a little guilty is more like it

Jill

g but if shame or embarrassment are beyond cats, wouldn't guilt be, also?
It's not as if I have ever punished him or raised my voice to him so he has
no fear about that. Whatever he felt, he knew he shouldn't. Keeping the
door shut seems to send him a message that it is out of bounds. He only
went in there once before (also illegally) and saw himself in the floor
length mirror. He bopped that cat and it bopped him back.
He claims he knew about the wood mouse I caught in my catch-alive in my
bedroom last week and was just checking to make sure there wasn't another
one.
Which was fairly brave since there was a cat in there that would match him
blow for blow;-)

Tweed

Tweed

Old January 25th 13, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my
bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

He *knows* that it is not allowed and I found him doing it. He was either
embarrassed or ashamed.

(snip)
Tweed

He didn't expect to get caught! Feeling a little guilty is more like it

Jill

g but if shame or embarrassment are beyond cats, wouldn't guilt be, also?
It's not as if I have ever punished him or raised my voice to him so he has
no fear about that. Whatever he felt, he knew he shouldn't. Keeping the
door shut seems to send him a message that it is out of bounds.

Of course. But my limited exposure to just Persia has taught me closed
doors are temptations!

He only
went in there once before (also illegally) and saw himself in the floor
length mirror. He bopped that cat and it bopped him back.

LOLOL! I can picture that.

He claims he knew about the wood mouse I caught in my catch-alive in my
bedroom last week and was just checking to make sure there wasn't another
one.

Any excuse to find out "what is behind that door?" G With Persia it
is usually the door to the linen closet in the hall. Every once in a
while she wants me to leave the closet door slightly open. I have no
idea why but I indulge her

Which was fairly brave since there was a cat in there that would match him
blow for blow;-)

I've seen videos of cats slapping at their image in a mirror. Or
jumping away from it. Persia is odd. She has never paid attention to
her own image. She used to jump up on the sink in the bathroom and
drink out of the tap. There was a mirror right there and she just sort
of looked at herself and shrugged.

Jill
Old January 25th 13, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:42:26 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

He *knows* that it is not allowed and I found him doing it. He was either
embarrassed or ashamed.

No, cats CAN NOT feel shame or embarrassment like humans can.

They react on a different level.

A post here, on Craigslist Pets today, had a picture of a dog
with an obvious eye issue, and the person posting it CLAIMED
that the dog was crying because it was in the 'pound'.

Well, they certainly do not cry from emotion and if I had a dog or cat with
tears flowing I would be certain it had a medical issue.

Boyfie is not allowed in my bedroom - mainly because I am such a bad
sleeper, and showed that he knew that by jumping out of his skin when I saw
him in there and then running downstairs.
Maybe we should call it intuition rather than embarrassment, shame or guilt.
For whatever reason, he knew he was not allowed to be in there.
Maybe the mouse left a smell which he could detect, but he still knew that
going into my bedroom was a no-no.
He says it's my fault I got a mousie in my bedroom as he is not allowed in
that one room - serves you right, he says he is an ace mouser - which he is.
He can catch a mouse by sound only, he does not have to see it. I think
Kitty Farmcat taught him that skill.
I love that boy.

Tweed

Old January 25th 13, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

Any excuse to find out "what is behind that door?" G With Persia it is
usually the door to the linen closet in the hall. Every once in a while
she wants me to leave the closet door slightly open. I have no idea why
but I indulge her

Which was fairly brave since there was a cat in there that would match
him
blow for blow;-)

I've seen videos of cats slapping at their image in a mirror. Or jumping
away from it. Persia is odd. She has never paid attention to her own
image. She used to jump up on the sink in the bathroom and drink out of
the tap. There was a mirror right there and she just sort of looked at
herself and shrugged.

Very few of my dogs would react to their image in a mirror or to something
on the TV.
Only Daisy.
Boyfie seems to be aware of his image in the mirror.
Daisy could see things on the television. She liked looking at bears and
wolves and would always watch them and go behind the Tv to see if they were
there.

Old January 26th 13, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Which was fairly brave since there was a cat in there that would match
him
blow for blow;-)

I've seen videos of cats slapping at their image in a mirror. Or jumping
away from it. Persia is odd. She has never paid attention to her own
image. She used to jump up on the sink in the bathroom and drink out of
the tap. There was a mirror right there and she just sort of looked at
herself and shrugged.

Most cats and dogs are not able to see an image of themselves in a mirror or
see TV. ~Boyfie can see himself in a mirror but he doesn't watch TV.
Daisy (whippet) watched TV all the time. Her best was polar bears but any
bear would do. After bears it was wolves. she could hardly look at a wolf
without barking at it so I know she saw it.
She was the only dog I ever had that seemed to see TV images.
She was fascinated by bears on the telly and wolves.

Old January 27th 13, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

wrote:

Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

Kitties are very contextual too. Buster likes being pet in some rooms, but
not in others.

I do think that cats can feel somewhat guilty. Buster gets this coy look,
glancing over his shoulder, when he thinks that he might be doing something
"bad". The girls, Dot and Spicey, are more likely to brazen out any
situation though.
Old January 27th 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my
bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

Kitties are very contextual too. Buster likes being pet in some rooms, but
not in others.

I do think that cats can feel somewhat guilty. Buster gets this coy look,
glancing over his shoulder, when he thinks that he might be doing
something
"bad". The girls, Dot and Spicey, are more likely to brazen out any
situation though.

Boyfie also knows that he is not allowed on my work surfaces in the kitchen
but he will risk it in case there is something I've cooked and is cooling.
If I hear him jump down, I go into the kitchen with an angry face and a
calm voice and say "what do you think you were doing?"
He knows very well what is allowed, or not.
He sometimes risks it.
How are you getting along with Spicey now?

Tweed

Old January 28th 13, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

Boyfie knows very well that the only place he is not allowed is my
bedroom.
He snuck in there today and nearly jumped out of skin when I found him in
there looking around.
He rushed back down the stairs.

Kitties are very contextual too. Buster likes being pet in some rooms, but
not in others.

I do think that cats can feel somewhat guilty. Buster gets this coy look,
glancing over his shoulder, when he thinks that he might be doing
something
"bad". The girls, Dot and Spicey, are more likely to brazen out any
situation though.

Definitely about contextual kitties. Waffles loves to have me skritch his
ears if he comes on my lap, or if he comes to me when I'm in bed. However,
I have a scratch on my wrist to remind me that, no matter how cute and
pettable he looks, when he's lying on the couch, I am *not* to try.

Joy