Has anyone tried a cat fence?

Old July 22nd 03, 02:04 PM
dgk

Default Has anyone tried a cat fence?

On 21 Jul 2003 22:26:07 GMT, ospam (Yngver) wrote:

dgk
wrote:

My newest cat Nipsy went right over the fence that stymied my previous
cats. It isn't much of a fence, mostly a 3 foot chain link, but it was
enough to keep the other ones in the yard. So I'm looking at this
http://www.catfencein.com/brochure2.php and wondering what experience
folks have had with it. Any other ideas for keeping a cat in the yard?

We already had a 7 ft. privacy fence on one side, so my husband made something
similar to the cat fence-in fence topper for the shorter chain link side. It
angles inward, the way the cat fence-in system does. It's too broad to jump
over, and if the cat tries to climb over, she falls back down. It's sort of
ugly, so I trained a vine to cover it. Anyway, after a few tries, our cat gave
up and she's never tried to jump or climb it since.

Some cats are diggers, so keep that in mind in terms of blocking any gaps under
the fence. Our cats have never tried that.

Thanks. I guess I'll take a look at Home Depot and see if I can find
anything that would achieve the same purpose.It just has to heighten
the fence and bend over into the yard I suppose. Something that won't
trap their little feets or harm them.

I'm sort of worried that a neighboring cat will get into the yard and
be unable to get out again but I think I can manage that with a door
that I'll leave open when my cats aren't back there.

Otherwise I guess I'll just buy the cat fence. It probably won't be
much more expensive than putting it together myself.

Old July 23rd 03, 05:14 AM

My newest cat Nipsy went right over the fence that stymied my previous
cats. It isn't much of a fence, mostly a 3 foot chain link, but it was
enough to keep the other ones in the yard. So I'm looking at this
http://www.catfencein.com/brochure2.php and wondering what experience
folks have had with it. Any other ideas for keeping a cat in the yard?

We bought materials from the catfencein.com and installed it on our wooden
fence. It's worked really well, except that Big Smokey figured out how he
could push his head around until he found a place where the staples were
too far apart. I should add that most of our outdoor guys have zero
interest in trying to get out.

My only concern is that your fence may be too short for the catfencein
product (maybe the more expensive version would work - we have an 8-foot
fence so we opted for the cheaper webbing and bracket version).

Old July 24th 03, 12:39 AM
Sharon Talbert

It works! And we recommend it highly, especially the combo version, which
keeps your cat safely inside and other cats outside.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org