looking for a vet in NYC

Old August 12th 04, 01:01 PM
Arjun Ray

Default looking for a vet in NYC

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:14:45 -0400, MadHatter wrote:

I need to get Shaina spayed soon and i was wondering if anyone
can recommend a good vet in Manhattan.

My recommendation is the Humane Society of New York, on 59th St
just off 2nd Ave towards 1st. (next to the Queensboro bridge.)
310 E 59th, 212-752-4840.

They are a high-volume operation; they do this every day and are
very experienced. No frills, though.

also, i would like to know how much it is, approximately. my
mom got our cat spayed in Boston and she said it cost her $100.

With a vet in private practice in NYC, it will cost you at least
that much, if not quite more. The HS charges around $40, which is
also about the cost of a Muffins certificate, which a number of
vets will accept.

http://www.muffins.org/spay.htm

Old August 13th 04, 12:52 AM
PegNDerek

We have tried three different vets on Manhattan:

1. East Side Vet--horrible--I might send a dead rat to them for
"treatment", but no living animal! I am convinced that they did
nothing to help save our Saunas, who had a blocked urethra and ended
up having to be euthanized. Traumatic for everyone, including our Bank
Manager!

2. Manhattan Veterinary, which is highly recommended by the ASPCA,
but lost our business after they mixed up the medications that our
cats require and gave Lactulose (a highly concentrated sugar solution)
to our Diabetic cat, while giving insulin to the one who has a problem
with constipation. IDIOTS! I wouldn't go back to them if they paid
me!

3. Park East Animal Hospital. Dr. Berman, who heads ParK East, is one
of the editors of the Cornell Book of Cats. They are VERY expensive,
but we have had no problems at all with them and "service" is very
definitely their middle name! Alino's vet is Dr. Theodore Johnson and
Amaretto's is Dr. Benjamin Spitz. Dr. Johnson is more friendly than
Dr. Spitz on a personal level, but both give consistently terrific
care to our boys! They are also very responsive to us and regard the
partnership of vet and owner as sacrosanct when it comes to cat care.
Just the way it should be, albeit for a very high price--but worth
every penny!

Call them--212-832-8417--and feel free to give our names as a
reference. You can also check out their website at
www.ParkEastAnimalHospital.com

Peg Caldwell-Ott and Derek Ott at 90th and Lexington in NYC

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:14:45 -0400, MadHatter
wrote:

Hi,

I need to get Shaina spayed soon and i was wondering if anyone can
recommend a good vet in Manhattan. also, i would like to know how
much it is, approximately. my mom got our cat spayed in Boston and
she said it cost her $100.

-L

"Scientists' say intelligent life
sprang from the sea.
Really intelligent life returns to
the sea now and then."

Old August 13th 04, 12:57 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"PegNDerek" wrote in message
Peg Caldwell-Ott and Derek Ott at 90th and Lexington in NYC

Whoa - you're so close to a *bunch* of museums, the Conservatory Garden...
:-)

Cathy

Old August 13th 04, 04:25 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"PegNDerek" wrote in message

We have tried three different vets on Manhattan:

3. Park East Animal Hospital. Dr. Berman, who heads ParK East, is one
of the editors of the Cornell Book of Cats. They are VERY expensive,
but we have had no problems at all with them and "service" is very
definitely their middle name! Alino's vet is Dr. Theodore Johnson and
Amaretto's is Dr. Benjamin Spitz. Dr. Johnson is more friendly than
Dr. Spitz on a personal level, but both give consistently terrific
care to our boys! They are also very responsive to us and regard the
partnership of vet and owner as sacrosanct when it comes to cat care.
Just the way it should be, albeit for a very high price--but worth
every penny!

I work in a bookstore that has sveeral locations in NYC. Three of them have
cats, and one store brings their resident cat to Park East. I get the bills
to process for payment and the prices do seem pretty steep to me, but the
store seems very happy with the service. Fortunately, my boss doesn't
complain too much when he sees the bills. I'm not sure which vet(s) Minnie
sees there.

I've taken our work cats to The Cat Practice (5th Avenue & 20th Street, I
think. Maybe 19th). Also a little pricey but not as bad as Park East. I
like the vets I've dealt with there. They've also gone to the Gramercy Park
Animal Hospital. Cheaper than The Cat Practice. We've dealt with only one
vet there, a woman whose name I forget right now. She's okay, but always
seems like she wants to get them in & out. She doesn't have much
personality to speak of and while the cats don't care, it puts me off.
Stinky & Harriet are due for their annual exam, and I'm going to push to
take them back to The Cat Practice even if it's a little more money.

I've also taken Tiger to the Soho Tribeca Animal Hospital (I think that's
the name) when she was a working cat. The staff were extremely bland. I
guess I feel that vets should at least try to act happy to see my cats, and
not just talk to me in a monotone. Tiger has also been to Westside Vetinary
(I think... West 83rd? 84th? between Broadway & Amsterdam). I liked the
vets there, and Tiger would actually jump into the lap of one male doctor,
instead of trying to retreat into the carrier. She hasn't been there in
about 8 years and I don't remember any of the vets' names.

My vote is for The Cat Practice downtown, Westside Vet uptown.

--
Liz

Old August 15th 04, 05:06 PM
Arjun Ray

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:54:51 -0400, MadHatter wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:01:19 GMT, "Arjun Ray" wrote:

With a vet in private practice in NYC, it will cost you at least that
much, if not quite more. The HS charges around $40, which is also about
the cost of a Muffins certificate, which a number of vets will accept.

http://www.muffins.org/spay.htm

what exactly is that certificate?

Participating vets will accept the certificate as payment for the basic
spay services: exam, anaesthesia and surgery. It doesn't cover addons or
shots, but even so, the savings can be substantial, considering that just
these basics could run to something like $100 instead.

You can order the certificate; some vets will accept a fax; and some pet
food stores carry them.

As far as spaying and the first round of shots are concerned (as opposed
to finding a vet for regular care), I'll repeat my recommendation of the
Humane Society. In one sense it's a bargain basement, but they are far
and away the best low-cost spay/neuter program in the city, besides being
a pretty good general clinic in their own right. I have taken many cats
there, and never had a post-op problem (in fact, only one cat ever came
close to having me worried, but I was prepared for that.) I would trust
to their expertise over any random vet in private practice (who simply may
not have enough *experience*.)