Need help choosing new cat

Old January 27th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Need help choosing new cat

My wife and I are retired and our cat recently died and we want to get
another. We have had several in the past years and we really want an
affectionate cat that will sit on our laps while we watch TV or read. Not
all cats will do this, some are friendly but skittish and will not sit on
your lap and don't like to be held.

Our kids want to get us a kitten (specifically a main coon) but I am afraid
that if we get a kitten we don't know how it will be when it matures. I am
thinking that adopting a mature cat from the SPCA (Humane Society here in
Canada) might allow us to see first hand if a specific cat is acting they
way we want.
I have been told that there is a critical socialization period when the
kitten is small that can be used to influence it's behaviour but don't know
what we have to do to produce the desired behaviour.

We don't care about breeding or size-- just temperament

Can you offer some advice?
Thanks
Wayne in Ottawa

Old January 27th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Wayne almost any shelter will gladly let you spend some time with a mature
cat. Check out in your area to see if there is a no kill shelter and talk
to he workers they should be able to tell you how the cats are. At our
shelter in Florida we have a play room that people can see the cats up
close.

Old January 27th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Maine Coons like to hang out in the same room with you, but they *DON'T*
like being held - definitely not a lap cat if that is what you're looking
for. I'd agree you should get a cat that's at least 1 or 2 years old if you
want to know what their temperment is like (and you'd also be saving a
life - everyone adopts kittens and lots of very delightful adult cats are
euthanized because everyone is looking to adopt a kitten and overlook adult
cats).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Can you offer some advice?
Thanks
Wayne in Ottawa

Old January 27th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Yes, adopt an adult cat. People at the shelters know their personalities and
can tell you all about them. You can also go to www.petfinder.com and look
in your area for cats available in shelters or in rescue groups.
Gail

Old January 27th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wayne

We had to have our 20+ yr. old kitty put to sleep about a year ago. I
THOUGHT I wanted a kitten when I went out to look last spring. I went
to an area cat shelter and there was a 3-year old Maine Coon that just
took my heart right away. I am SO glad I didn't get a kitten - I am
not used to all that energy after 20 years with my other kitty.

My 3 year old is plenty playful. And yes, Maine Coons are not lap
cats, but they sit beside you and are following you all day. They love
to be with you - on the desk by the computer, etc. They are the most
gentle, funny, well behaved, intellegent cats I have ever had. And
this is my first Maine Coon. I keep wondering why I hadn't discovered
them before!

Maine Coons are great!
Sharon

Old January 27th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wayne wrote:
My wife and I are retired and our cat recently died and we want to get
another. We have had several in the past years and we really want an
affectionate cat that will sit on our laps while we watch TV or read. Not
all cats will do this, some are friendly but skittish and will not sit on
your lap and don't like to be held.

Our kids want to get us a kitten (specifically a main coon) but I am afraid
that if we get a kitten we don't know how it will be when it matures. I am
thinking that adopting a mature cat from the SPCA (Humane Society here in
Canada) might allow us to see first hand if a specific cat is acting they
way we want.

Hi Wayne,
I suppose handling a kitten a lot might influence whether or not it's a
lap cat, I don't know. We got lucky because both our cats will lay on
our laps, although they are quite energetic too. In your situation, I
would recommend adopting an adult cat, and preferably two of them. I
think you'd have a better idea in how they interact with humans and
each other. But don't forget, they will be in a new setting so might
act differently.

Old January 27th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wayne

Here are a couple pictures of my funny, loveable adopted Maine Coon.

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...lamerica/1.jpg

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...lamerica/2.jpg

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...lamerica/3.jpg

What's not to love?!
Sharon

Old January 27th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wayne wrote:

[...]

It is very hard to tell the personality of a cat you will get from the
SPCA. The major problem being that their personality won't truly emerge
until they get comfortable and settle in. Best to communicate with the
staff about what you are looking for, they may have some insight into
the pets they have.

If you do decide on purebred... I have a Ragdoll breed cat that is just
wonderful. Very sweet, laid back and loving... and many of them are lap
cats.

I'm in the Ottawa area as well. I had good success with a tuxedo cat I
got from the SPCA and also good luck with a Ragdoll from a breeder.

That breeder... http://www.fancyrags.com/

As per her website, she has a kitten available right now.
Old January 27th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wayne wrote:
My wife and I are retired and our cat recently died and we want to get
another. We have had several in the past years and we really want an
affectionate cat that will sit on our laps while we watch TV or read. Not
all cats will do this, some are friendly but skittish and will not sit on
your lap and don't like to be held.

Our kids want to get us a kitten (specifically a main coon) but I am afraid
that if we get a kitten we don't know how it will be when it matures. I am
thinking that adopting a mature cat from the SPCA (Humane Society here in
Canada) might allow us to see first hand if a specific cat is acting they
way we want.

Excellent idea!

I have been told that there is a critical socialization period when the
kitten is small that can be used to influence it's behaviour but don't know
what we have to do to produce the desired behaviour.

We don't care about breeding or size-- just temperament

Can you offer some advice?
Thanks
Wayne in Ottawa

All I can tell you is what has worked for me in selecting cats for
myself and helping others select cats as a volunteer at the Humane
Society and as a vet tech. Adult cats may or may not display their
true temperment while in a shelter - but you can pretty much bet that
if a kitty is laid-back and likes to be handled while at the shelter,
that the cat truly is that way most of the time.

As for kittens, my test has always been to pick the kitten up, and hold
it on its back, like a baby. If it lays back and relaxes in your
hands, and lets you rub its belly, it has likely been handled as a
younger kitten and will be a love bug if you continue to treat it as
one. My experience has also been that neutered male cats are more
tolerant of receiving affection when the human wants to give it than
females; females tend to want to cuddle on their own terms.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with a black or black-and-white tuxedo male
kitten selected in the manner stated above. While some people do not
believe in color traits linking to behavior, I have seen enough
anecdotal evidence that I believe some personality traits are
color-linked. This especially holds true for calicos and torties,
orange males, black males, and black-and-white tux males.

Also, the workers and volunteers at the SPCA or HS where you visit
should be able to help match you with a cat that is likely to be a
"good fit".

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

-L.