Strays - what to do? LONG

Old June 18th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default Good News! Strays - what to do? LONG

"Pat" wrote in
et:

"Christina Websell" wrote

| We are sending purrs that there will be room at the no kill shelter
| for these poor cats.

Great news -- a shelter I contacted near Columbia, five hours away,
emailed me back with contact info for a local rescue person who is
only 10 miles away. She said she will take them all, find homes for
the babies, get mama spayed and keep her. She asked about the boy with
the crooked tail too, but it may be impossible to capture him.

..
..
..
..

litterbox, food and water dishes out there. Earlier today I found
three kittens sleeping in one of the boxes. Hopefully tonight they
will all find their way into the boxes and I will have the new carport
door that I'm building all finished and put up, and can lock them in
and call the rescuer to come first thing tomorrow.

I am SO relieved!!!! With a bit of luck I will be able to tame the
crooked-tail boy later on and get him relocated to be a barn cat with
his mom.

Very excellent!

Old June 18th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Christina Websell" wrote

| We are sending purrs that there will be room at the no kill shelter for
| these poor cats.

Great news -- a shelter I contacted near Columbia, five hours away,
emailed
me back with contact info for a local rescue person who is only 10 miles
away. She said she will take them all, find homes for the babies, get mama
spayed and keep her. She asked about the boy with the crooked tail too,
but
it may be impossible to capture him.

This lady said in the past week she's had two pot-bellied pigs dumped at
her
farm!! She says they're out in a field and very afraid. Heck I'd be
terrified if I was someone's pet and was suddenly dumped in a strange
place
but at least they have food and water and companionship.

The plan is I will try to confine the whole kitty family in my screened
carport and then call the rescue lady to come get them. I've started
feeding
them in there. Luckily I still have half a case of PetGuard 14 oz. cans
that
all my clowder hate, they let it rot in the dish if I dare serve it to
them.
It's expensive food but that's what this poor mama needs right now, she
was
so hungry at lunchtime that she growled at her own babies when they tried
join her at the bowl, until she had wolfed half the can.

This is an ideal time to spay since she's still nursing a bit and probably
isn't pregnant. The lady asked if I can help with the cost. I can't, but I
decided to try and sell the old storm windows that are sitting in the
garage. I was saving them to make a cold frame later to start seedlings,
but
I can find another way when the time comes. They should bring at least
half
the cost of the spay, if they sell.

Another surprise this morning was seeing mama laying on the porch nursing
FIVE kittens. At first I thought there were three, then four, but now I
know
the truth. No wonder she's so ragged!! And they're probably not as old as
thought, maybe 7 weeks at most, could even be six weeks old.

There are two solid gray ones, two lovely tabbies (wide length-wise
stripes)
and one solid black. The black one is smallest and I haven't seen it since
early this morning. Mama seems to be a little worried too, she's been out
there looking all over, and I can tell she's tired and wants to sleep
after
her big lunch.

I put several boxes with old rags in them, and an old carpet, a litterbox,
food and water dishes out there. Earlier today I found three kittens
sleeping in one of the boxes. Hopefully tonight they will all find their
way
into the boxes and I will have the new carport door that I'm building all
finished and put up, and can lock them in and call the rescuer to come
first
thing tomorrow.

I am SO relieved!!!! With a bit of luck I will be able to tame the
crooked-tail boy later on and get him relocated to be a barn cat with his
mom.

Fantastic news.

Tweed

Old June 18th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

See, there is a Bast. Know you will feel so much better now.

Old June 18th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Christina Websell" wrote

| We are sending purrs that there will be room at the no kill
shelter for
| these poor cats.

Great news -- a shelter I contacted near Columbia, five hours away,
emailed
me back with contact info for a local rescue person who is only 10
miles
away. She said she will take them all, find homes for the babies,
get mama
spayed and keep her. She asked about the boy with the crooked tail
too, but
it may be impossible to capture him.

This lady said in the past week she's had two pot-bellied pigs
dumped at her
farm!! She says they're out in a field and very afraid. Heck I'd be
terrified if I was someone's pet and was suddenly dumped in a
strange place
but at least they have food and water and companionship.

The plan is I will try to confine the whole kitty family in my
screened
carport and then call the rescue lady to come get them. I've started
feeding
them in there. Luckily I still have half a case of PetGuard 14 oz.
cans that
all my clowder hate, they let it rot in the dish if I dare serve it
to them.
It's expensive food but that's what this poor mama needs right now,
she was
so hungry at lunchtime that she growled at her own babies when they
tried to
join her at the bowl, until she had wolfed half the can.

This is an ideal time to spay since she's still nursing a bit and
probably
isn't pregnant. The lady asked if I can help with the cost. I can't,
but I
decided to try and sell the old storm windows that are sitting in
the
garage. I was saving them to make a cold frame later to start
seedlings, but
I can find another way when the time comes. They should bring at
least half
the cost of the spay, if they sell.

Another surprise this morning was seeing mama laying on the porch
nursing
FIVE kittens. At first I thought there were three, then four, but
now I know
the truth. No wonder she's so ragged!! And they're probably not as
old as I
[...]

That is amazing good news. If they are all able to get neutered and
have a life it would be so amazing.

Jo

Old June 18th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

I've got them all trapped in the carport now and have left a message for the
rescuer. Keeping paws crossed and purring for a quick reply. The kittens are
adorable....

Old June 18th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default Good News! Strays

| I've got them all trapped in the carport now and have left a message for
the
| rescuer. Keeping paws crossed and purring for a quick reply. The kittens
are
| adorable....

The woman called back and will be here around dusk. She runs a horse rescue
and a Great Pyrenees rescue and has about 80 animals in total including the
potbelly pigs and her housecats and maybe some poultry.

Meanwhile all the rescued kitties are fast asleep with full bellies. I sat
out there with them for a while so they could get used to me a bit and won't
be quite as traumatized when I have to put them into a cage later.

Old June 19th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

On Jun 19, 7:48 am, "Pat" wrote:
| I've got them all trapped in the carport now and have left a message for
the
| rescuer. Keeping paws crossed and purring for a quick reply. The kittens
are
| adorable....

The woman called back and will be here around dusk. She runs a horse rescue
and a Great Pyrenees rescue and has about 80 animals in total including the
potbelly pigs and her housecats and maybe some poultry.

Meanwhile all the rescued kitties are fast asleep with full bellies. I sat
out there with them for a while so they could get used to me a bit and won't
be quite as traumatized when I have to put them into a cage later.

That is very good news Pat! I hope you can help the boy with the
crooked tail too, even if it takes a bit longer.

What's the name of the organisation the cats are going to and website
(if any)? I may be able to make a donation to them (next Wednesday) if
they have paypal. It won't be heaps but it's better than nothing.

Dewi
Old June 19th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Dewi" wrote

| What's the name of the organisation the cats are going to and website
| (if any)? I may be able to make a donation to them (next Wednesday) if
| they have paypal. It won't be heaps but it's better than nothing.

No website that I know of, but here is some info:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MO318.html

phone is 417-683-0082

Old June 19th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

On Jun 19, 10:22 am, "Pat" wrote:
"Dewi" wrote

| What's the name of the organisation the cats are going to and website
| (if any)? I may be able to make a donation to them (next Wednesday) if
| they have paypal. It won't be heaps but it's better than nothing.

No website that I know of, but here is some info:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MO318.html

phone is 417-683-0082

Thanks
Old June 19th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Wonderful news.

--
Ann