Whiskas Cat Food

Old March 15th 07, 11:40 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Graham

Default Whiskas Cat Food

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Fred G. Mackey" wrote in message
. ..
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

What I *do* know - because Whiskas is produced at a large factory
only 12 miles away from where I live (and I know people who work
there) - is that the nutrition of it is very well researched. They
actually employ people, too, whose job it is to *taste* it. Ewwww.

Why "Ewwww"?

Well, for one thing, pet food does not have to live up to the same
standards as food meant for human consumption.

It does here, but still..I wouldn't want to have to eat it as part of my
job.
Interview: blah blah blah about the wonderful cat/dog food producing
factory.
And then, candidate, if we gave you this job, would you be prepared to
sample the food yourself?
Me: Bleh. I have another interview somewhere else, goodbye.

Tweed

Yes.....I think I would apply for a job at the caviar factory........

LOL!
There are a surprising amount of people who work at this factory that are
prepared to sample cat/dog food as part of their job.

Tweed --- will never be one of them

Reminds me of that Cheers episode where Norm gets the job of taster at the
brewery.......

Old March 16th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

polonca12000 wrote:
Sherry wrote:

LOL!!
Speaking of whiskas, Tweed, I heard that they are also the
manufacturers of "Sheba". Bosley always did like that. I buy it for
him occasionally, but could not find it on this trip to Petsmart. I
asked for it, and they told me they are closing out the regular flat
squarish ones. Do you have that in the UK?

Sherry

I've seen some new flavour and shape Sheba at our supermarket, but I
can't tell you any details since Soncek is on a strict kidney diet, so I
didn't really pay attention.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek (in Slovenia)

Yep, we have that in the US as well and it's *very* expensive, as Sherry
said. However, we can't feed it to Mistletoe any more. She hoovers it
down as though there's no tomorrow and yowls for more. Then she won't

Like Catnipped said, it's "Kitty Crack".

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old March 16th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

sam wrote:
Yep, we have that in the US as well and it's *very* expensive, as Sherry
said. However, we can't feed it to Mistletoe any more. She hoovers it
down as though there's no tomorrow and yowls for more. Then she won't

Like Catnipped said, it's "Kitty Crack".

And Miranda wouldn't even eat this. shakes head

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old March 17th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Sherry wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:35?pm, polonca12000 wrote:

Sherry wrote:

LOL!!
Speaking of whiskas, Tweed, I heard that they are also the
manufacturers of "Sheba". Bosley always did like that. I buy it for
him occasionally, but could not find it on this trip to Petsmart. I
asked for it, and they told me they are closing out the regular flat
squarish ones. Do you have that in the UK?

Sherry

I've seen some new flavour and shape Sheba at our supermarket, but I
can't tell you any details since Soncek is on a strict kidney diet, so I
didn't really pay attention.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek (in Slovenia)

Yes! I have seen that here too. It looks like human-grade shredded
chicken, and even smells good. But it is $1.19 for a tiny 3-oz. can
(Sorry, I don't know how to convert $$$)....I bet that is what is
replacing the old square tins.
Soncek is probably much better off with her diet food. I wish mine
weren't so picky.

Sherry

Soncek doesn't like wet food and I couldn't afford it if he only ate
Sheba. It's terribly expensive. I do wish he would eat more wet food
though. He only eats a pouch every ten days or so.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old March 20th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:16:00 -0800, jofirey wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

That would work great if you had x-ray vision.

Well, I didn't say it would be easy....

I did know of a case where someone caught a frozen food supplier
trucking their stuff to a fancy restaurant in San Francisco in the
middle of the night....Kinda proved that Chicken Cordon Bleu wasn't
made to order on the premises......

Only meat that has been passed for human consumption is allowed to be
used in animal-protein based pet food in the UK. Of course, the
manufacturers are likely to use "all" of it that they can, like grinding
up up some parts that a human would not choose to eat, but this is not a
bad thing. It approaches the diet a predator would choose for itself.
Besides, given that there are staff that have to eat it themselves,
imagine the lawyers bill if it was harmful! I always wondered if the
advert for this job clearly said "you will have to eat petfood on a
regular basis" so those of a squeamish nature could dismiss it straight
away, or whether it would a surprise at the interview ;-) Maybe it
depends on how desperate someone is for a job. OK, here's a survey.
1. If you already had a reasonable job, but you saw another one much
better paid and found out you had to taste cat/dog food as part of the
job, would you take it? (I don't think they have to eat the pet food
all day..)
2. If you had been out of work for a while and are beginning to
struggle for money to pay your bills, with no other interviews in sight
and you were offered the job, would you take it?

Tweed

Canned cat food, it would depend on how much better paid.

Kibble, not a problem. I wouldn't feed my guys anything I wouldn't eat.
But then again I'm not all that squeamish.

I know the Purina dog chow my daughter helped herself to when she was
crawling and learning to walk didn't hurt her. And the guy who works the
cash register at the local PetCo has been known to snack on the "dog"
pretzels and cookies.

Jo

That reminds me of an old story about my mother. She was in her 70s.
She was giving the dog a milk bone and wondered how it would taste. So
she ate one. We were sitting on the front porch. Shortly thereafter
she made a mad dash to the bathroom to throw up. MLB

Old March 21st 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 9, 11:53 am, "Scott Buchanan" wrote:
My Indy ate Friskies cat food for most of his life. I believe that it is
the best out there but have no facts. On day we ran out of his regular food
and not wanting to go the distance to the regular store I went to the quick
store and chose Whiskas.

He likes to eat it and won't eat his usual food any more. He has put on some
weight with this new food which he does not need.

I am wondering if the Whiskas is as healthy for him as Friskies is.

Thanks for your input.

I happened to ask my vet what "off-the-shelf" store brand canned cat
food was the best and he told me anything made by Purina. Friskies
happens to be made by Purina so I switched and my kids are as happy as
they can be. Whiskas I found to be too rich for them. They kept
throwing it up even if they did gobble it down.