Facebook

Old October 11th 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

Default Facebook

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:31:26 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:

I'm not going to abandon Usenet. I liked the idea of connecting again with

the old-time posters of rpca in the Facebook group is all.

If I regret having a Facebook account, I will find a way to unsubscribe, but

I hope I won't ever have to.

Tweed

Now you got me thinking of going on FB.
But after hearing about the steep learning curve, I think I'll wait
a bit.
I recently got a new computer with Windows 8.
Learning to use Windows 8 can be frustrating at times.
Now Windows 8.1 is coming out as an update and I was advised
to get it.
There is just so much learning I can handle at a time.
I am not as sharp as I used to be. -- Winnie
Old October 11th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Friday, October 11, 2013 10:57:12 AM UTC-4, Bobble wrote:

Yes, you've accepted. Not to worry though, we all know the learning

curve is steep!

Bobble

Happy Thanksgiving Bobble!
IIRC, you are a fellow Canadian and we live in the same city.

Winnie
Old October 11th 13, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Rusty" wrote in message
On Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:31:26 PM UTC-4, Christina Websell wrote:

I'm not going to abandon Usenet. I liked the idea of connecting again
with

the old-time posters of rpca in the Facebook group is all.

If I regret having a Facebook account, I will find a way to unsubscribe,
but

I hope I won't ever have to.

Tweed

Now you got me thinking of going on FB.
But after hearing about the steep learning curve, I think I'll wait
a bit.
I recently got a new computer with Windows 8.
Learning to use Windows 8 can be frustrating at times.
Now Windows 8.1 is coming out as an update and I was advised
to get it.
There is just so much learning I can handle at a time.
I am not as sharp as I used to be. -- Winnie

I hear you, Winnie! I'm currently using Windows XP and know I'm going to
need a new computer very soon. I hate the idea of learning a new operating
system. Incidentally, my son, who is a programmer, has advised me to try to
find a computer that comes with Windows 7, as he considers it far superior
to Windows 8.

--
Joy

Each person is a snowflake. Some of us are flakier than others. --
Anonymous

Old October 11th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

I hear you, Winnie! I'm currently using Windows XP and know I'm going to
need a new computer very soon. I hate the idea of learning a new operating
system. Incidentally, my son, who is a programmer, has advised me to try to
find a computer that comes with Windows 7, as he considers it far superior
to Windows 8.

The hard disk on my laptop crashed the other night. It's an old computer,
and at this point, I'm thinking I should just get another one. I dropped
it off this morning at a repair shop so they could try to get my data off
of the disk. (I do backups, but not often enough. Bad computer user, bad!)

While talking to the guy at the front desk, I was reminded that new PCs
have Windows 8. He complained about it and said it was really hard to use,
and he's a tech guy, so you're in good company.

In the past, I was lucky because I managed to escape the disaster that was
Vista. Then Windows 7 came out, and I figured I'd buy a laptop with that,
when the time came. But I waited too long, apparently.

*Why do they do this*? They have something that works, that people are
happy with, so they decide to change a bunch of stuff that makes it unusable.

So, to find a computer with Windows 7, do you have to buy a used one, or
is your son saying that you can find a NEW one with 7? Whatever you find out,
could you pass it on to me? I'm in the market now myself.

Thanks!

--
Joyce

The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old October 11th 13, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_9_]

Rusty wrote:
On Friday, October 11, 2013 10:57:12 AM UTC-4, Bobble wrote:

Yes, you've accepted. Not to worry though, we all know the learning

curve is steep!

Bobble

Happy Thanksgiving Bobble!
IIRC, you are a fellow Canadian and we live in the same city.

Winnie

Thanks Winnie! And same to you

Bobble
Old October 11th 13, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_9_]

Joy wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message
[...]

A few months ago I bought a new Acer with Windows 7 (they had lots of
them). You could try to find one, while they are still available.

Bobble
Old October 11th 13, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_9_]

Bastette wrote:
Joy wrote:

[...]

Try Acer, they were still selling new ones with Windows 7. I love mine.

Bobble
Old October 11th 13, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

Now you got me thinking of going on FB.

But after hearing about the steep learning curve, I think I'll wait

a bit.

I recently got a new computer with Windows 8.

Learning to use Windows 8 can be frustrating at times.

Now Windows 8.1 is coming out as an update and I was advised

to get it.

There is just so much learning I can handle at a time.

I am not as sharp as I used to be. -- Winnie

I hear you, Winnie! I'm currently using Windows XP and know I'm going to

need a new computer very soon. I hate the idea of learning a new operating

system. Incidentally, my son, who is a programmer, has advised me to try to

find a computer that comes with Windows 7, as he considers it far superior

to Windows 8.

The main problem I have with Windows 8 is they took away the
Start Menu and replaced it with a Start Screen with different tiles on it,
similar to Microsoft's tablet the name of which I forgot.
But a friend loaded somthing for me so it "micmics" the Start Menu.
I was just informed that 8.1 is available for download and is better than
Windows 8.
My old computer has Vista (worse than XP in my opinion)
and it crashes all the time.
To be fair, I don't whether it is the hardware or Vista.
So I decided to replace it before it finally dies completely on me.
This way I was able to save all my data and files and moved them to my
new computer. -- Winnie

Old October 11th 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

I've been searching on line. I haven't found any new ones, but I did find
some reconditioned ones with 7, and my son says they should be fine, as long
as they have all the features I want (or the ones he thinks I need). I
think there are some reconditioned ones at Best Buy and ebay.

I agree with you about the changes. I don't think I've ever gotten any
upgrade of anything that didn't cause more problems than it solved. My
conclusion is that "new and improved" usually isn't either.

Joy

Old October 12th 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Friday, October 11, 2013 6:09:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I took one look at Windows 8 and decided my next computer would be a Mac.

--

Adrian

I also looked into getting a Mac and talked to a woman at an Apple store.
The price of a Mac is a lot higher than an average PC.
Plus you have to have your files from your old PC converted to an Apple format
or file type by the folks at the Apple store.
So I decided to stick with a PC.
I may get a mini iPad as I like its lightweight (less than a lb).
But again the price is higher than say, a Nexus 7.
I looked at a Microsoft tablet Surface(?).
Was not impressed. But there is a keyboard for it, which makes typing
faster. The one thing I don't much care for with most tablets is typing with
1 or 2 fingers. That's why I still want a desktop with a big screen.

Winnie

Facebook (again) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 5 September 10th 12 01:14 AM
FACEBOOK CAT :) Persian Cats - misc 1 July 9th 12 01:49 PM
Facebook (Again) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 12 March 31st 12 12:37 AM
r.p.c.a on Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 17 November 15th 11 08:31 PM
More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 76 November 15th 11 02:56 PM