Just read about what is really in cat food

Old August 13th 03, 07:44 PM
Steve Crane

(kate) wrote in message . com...
(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message ...

I've seen the book and don't fall for her scare tactics. Most of the research
that she did was in the 60s and 70s. Most of what she alleges in her book is
illegal (at least here in the US) nowadays.

The version I read was recently updated.

But still contains the same innuendo or her first book.

Almost all of the major brands include euthanized
cats and dogs in their formula

Not true. It is illegal here in the US.

I don't think it is enforced or checked on at all, though.

Yes it is checked and it is enforced. Less than two years ago the FDA
and USDA undertook another major study of pet foods and found no trace
of such ingredients in the major pet food company products.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Once a pet food ingredient enters a pet
food plant (regardless of it's quality), it is automatically designated as
"unfit for human consumption".

I am not an unreasonable person, but the concept of a diseased animal,
a cow with mad cow disease, etc, being fed to my cat, does concern me.

You may not be "unreasonable" but you are falling for scaremongering
tactics with absolutely no foundation in fact. You need to step back
just a bit. Follow the money trail. How can Anne Martin sell a book if
it doesn't contain horrific claims? who would be the least bit
interested in a book extolling the virtue of anything as mundane as
pet foods? How does the media sell TV add time if they can't entice
you with little teasers caliming to have horrific facts to impart.
There is a multi-billion dollar economy in selling fear to anxious
consumers. Books like Anne Martin junk, videos, TV, Radio and rpint
media all climb on the bandwagon if it will sell advertising space.
Don't let yourself fall victim to scaremongering.

IAMS/Eukanuba has been in the press for allegations of this sort. Science Diet
doesn't do the types of things that she alleges. If you are concerned, call
the companies in questions and she what they have to say.

Apparently many of these test are kep under wraps. She got her reports
by interviewing scientists at the schools. I suppose it could be
untrue, but it is still disturbing, esp. reading the listings of the
exact experiments which were conducted

"she" is full of BS with a capital B. Science Diet has not funded any
invasive studies in nearly 20 years. Period!

No, its the prospect of a cat or dog being unnwittingly forced into
cannibalism, or eating diseased animal parts that scares me.

It simply isn't true of any of the premium pet foods so find something
else to worry about. Perhaps worry about the nutrients that affect
your cats long term health perhaps?
Old August 14th 03, 03:55 AM
minerva nine

I realize I'm coming in late on this thread, but what the hell. I
agree that including cat and dog meat in cat food is ethically
questionable, but don't you realize what cats eat in the wild? They
eat diseased flesh, guts, feathers, hair, anything and everything they
can rip into small enough bits to get in their mouths. If you died in
your house alone with your cats, they would eat YOU to survive. Cats
aren't made like humans, and they don't need to be fed "human-grade"
food. Now, that said, it does make sense to buy food that contains a
high-quality protein source. If you read the label on most of the
mainstream cat food, there is always a "by-product" of some kind, and
that is where they sneak in the nasty stuff. If a "by-product" is in
the first five ingredients of your cat food, it's probably not the
best quality food to give your cat. Also, anything that is
unspecified "meat" probably should be avoided (kangaroo meat? rat
meat? who knows?) However, forcing cat food companies to supply
"human grade" food for cats causes more feed animals to be slaughtered
and more usable parts to be wasted (who's gonna eat those cow guts
from all your hamburgers, huh?), the price of cat food goes up, your
cats aren't any healthier, nobody wins. Just my $0.02.

M9

(kate) wrote in message . com...
I just read a book called "Food Pets Die For" and it is horrifying!!!
This woman did an extensive study about the ingredients which go into
cat and dog food. Almost all of the major brands include euthanized
cats and dogs in their formula, as well as all of the spoiled and
diseased parts of animals which are not fit for human consumption. In
some cases, the protein ingredients in cat food are actually heat
treated feathers and hair, and sometimes heat treated fecal matter.
There is even road kill in some cat food. Some brands, including Iams,
Eukanuba, and Science Diet, fund cruel animal experiments on cats and
dogs at universities. They give to good causes as well, but, wow...
Some of the pet food companies which have healthier ingredients are
Petguard, Natura, and some others (cant remember)

Old August 15th 03, 04:14 AM
GAUBSTER2

I didn't catch this. When/where did it happen? I've looked but can't find
anything about it on the internet. Would like to read about it if I can.

Thanks,
Purplecat

Me, too, Purplecat. I've never heard about the overturned pet food truck,

and
would like to read the article.
sherry

It probably never happened. I suspect that it was made up. Wouldn't have
proven anything even if it did happen. There are too many people out there
just waiting to be offended or scared these days.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/News/Story/69869.html

Enjoy!
-Alison in OH

Nice try, Alison--but there is nothing in there that has anything to do w/ that
truck going to a pet food facility. Besides, this only "happened" a couple of
days ago. The incident in question is part of an urban legend that supposedly
took place months/years/decades (take your pick) ago.

Old August 15th 03, 04:18 AM
GAUBSTER2

From: "Betsy" -0

You work for Hills?

Then you should clearly state that in each and every post you initiate or
reply to regarding pet food.

If you cannot do that, you have no credibility in my book. Anything less is
tantamount to deception.

Why don't we expect FULL DISCLOSURE from you on every post you make?? Steve
has stated in the past that the posts he makes are his opinion and only his
opinion and doesn't claim to speak on behalf of Hill's. Why are you trying to
discredit him?

If you can disprove anything he ever says, then you have something to gripe
about.
Old August 15th 03, 04:18 AM
GAUBSTER2

Old August 15th 03, 03:33 PM
Betsy

You are extraordinarily naive. And either you can't read or you are in
total denial.

First, here's the first bit of the article in question, in which you could
find no reference to a pet food factory:

"Carcasses are spilled on Route 7
August 8, 2003

By BRENT CURTIS Herald Staff

A truck carrying cattle carcasses to a dog food factory [clipped]"

Second: If you think that someone who works for a particular firm is
totally free to express his own opinion, you've never worked in the real
world.

I teach music, and am currently teaching in a studio located in a piano
store. I have done this in competitors stores for the past 25 years.

The salespeople from these stores don't stay long in any particular employ.
So it is not at all uncommon to see Joe Schmoe singing the highlights of
Steinways one day and trashing the competitor, and working for the
competitor the next day and trashing the Steinway. I can give you names and
firms, but I won't because I'd be in trouble.

I have no obligation to sell the pianos in those stores, nor would I allow
myself to be obligated in that way, as I consider it a conflict of interest.
However, recently I told one of my students where they might get a cheaper
used piano (rather than buy it at the store wherein I teach). Even though
it is contractually stated that I don't need to sell their pianos, there was
a huge brouhaha during which not only I but the other teachers in the
resident music school were almost booted out because of my "indiscretion"
and "lack of support".

Don't ever think that you can work for a firm and NOT tout it's products
publicly and still stay employed by that firm. That is why you should also
not believe any research funded by industry.

DUH!

Old August 15th 03, 04:50 PM
Alison Smiley Perera

In article ,
(GAUBSTER2) wrote:

[...]

Someone beat me to the punch but I'd be happy to quote the same passage.

"A truck carrying cattle carcasses to a dog food factory ... "

I do believe that you stated "Diseased parts aren't used" and "These
things DON'T happen in the US."

A poster responded "You obviously didn't catch the news story about the
truck that overturned on the way to the pet food factory." I don't get
the feeling that this incident, the one in question, is part of an urban
legend taking place decades ago.

Your response to this? "It probably never happened. I suspect that it
was made up."

Nope, not made up. Nasty, putrid, dead, diseased, and decaying meat
products are really and truly disposed of in our precious companion
pets' digestive systems. Some of us trust Hill's when they claim not to
use the loopholes in ingredient definitions for things like
"by-products". Still others would prefer to trust smaller companies that
grow based on a solid reputation of promoting health, and believe them
when they say that the ingredients they use are wholesome enough for you
and me to eat. And yet others, jaded and disillusioned, have discovered
that perhaps the best way to ensure the quality of their pets' food is
to pick it out in the grocery store themselves.

-Alison in OH