Liverwurst, too

Old April 30th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Liverwurst, too

I don't remember the last time I've had liverwurst in the house,
although I eat it all the time at my parents' and especially in
Germany, where it's heavenly.

Anyway, it finally occured to me that I could buy some for myself, so
that's what I did. Oscar's crazy for the stuff. I'm surprised,
because it's seasoned pretty heavily, and normally she won't touch
seasoned meat.

It seems like Oscar has been broadening her palate recently, at least
as far as hoomin food is concerned. I hope that means that if she
ever gets sick, I'll have plenty of options with which to tempt her.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 30th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
I don't remember the last time I've had liverwurst in the house,
although I eat it all the time at my parents' and especially in
Germany, where it's heavenly.

Anyway, it finally occured to me that I could buy some for myself, so
that's what I did. Oscar's crazy for the stuff. I'm surprised,
because it's seasoned pretty heavily, and normally she won't touch
seasoned meat.

It seems like Oscar has been broadening her palate recently, at least
as far as hoomin food is concerned. I hope that means that if she
ever gets sick, I'll have plenty of options with which to tempt her.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

I have tried umpteen times to feed my kids chicken, steak, fish, pork, ham,
bacon, cheese, uh uh. They don't go for it. They don't like any kind of
veggie either. Are my cats just weird? The only thing they cry for is
crab. They know when I steam it and they know the sound of the shell
cracking. They come a-running. And they yell at me. I end up giving them
more than I end up eating!

kili

Old April 30th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .
I have tried umpteen times to feed my kids chicken, steak, fish, pork,
ham,

bacon, cheese, uh uh. They don't go for it. They don't like any kind of
veggie either. Are my cats just weird? The only thing they cry for is
crab. They know when I steam it and they know the sound of the shell
cracking. They come a-running. And they yell at me. I end up giving
them
more than I end up eating!

kili

Cats normally eat meats. The vet told me to be careful about giving Rusty
any
plant food as it will raise his urine pH which is not good for urinary
crystals.
Rusty has a history of urinary problems.
I do give hime a spoonful of canned pumpkin for hairball. He loves it.
In fact, Rusty always eat whatever I give him, except, of course pills.
We went through countless presciption food and he has never refused any.
The only time he won't eat were when he was on antibiotics.

Winnie

Old April 30th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-30, kilikini penned:

I have tried umpteen times to feed my kids chicken, steak, fish,
pork, ham, bacon, cheese, uh uh. They don't go for it. They don't
like any kind of veggie either. Are my cats just weird? The only
thing they cry for is crab. They know when I steam it and they know
the sound of the shell cracking. They come a-running. And they
yell at me. I end up giving them more than I end up eating!

They're cats, so by definition they're weird =P

I don't know. The only thing Oscar ever ate up until a year or two
ago, well, the only hoomin food, was canned tuna. Something's
changed; don't know what.

She still has no interest in veggies, although I've seen her eat
cereal!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 30th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-30, kilikini penned:

They're cats, so by definition they're weird =P

I don't think a more true statement has ever been spoken! ROFL. :~)

kili

Old April 30th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"W. Leong" wrote in message

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .
I have tried umpteen times to feed my kids chicken, steak, fish, pork,
ham,

bacon, cheese, uh uh. They don't go for it. They don't like any kind

of
veggie either. Are my cats just weird? The only thing they cry for is
crab. They know when I steam it and they know the sound of the shell
cracking. They come a-running. And they yell at me. I end up giving
them
more than I end up eating!

kili

Cats normally eat meats. The vet told me to be careful about giving Rusty
any
plant food as it will raise his urine pH which is not good for urinary
crystals.
Rusty has a history of urinary problems.
I do give hime a spoonful of canned pumpkin for hairball. He loves it.

Canned pumpkin? Really? I'm going to have to try that! Pua gets hairballs
occasionally, but my other two are really sleek tuxedos and don't have too
much hair. Interesting! Thanks for the idea.

kili

Old April 30th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message

Canned pumpkin? Really? I'm going to have to try that! Pua gets
hairballs
occasionally, but my other two are really sleek tuxedos and don't have too
much hair. Interesting! Thanks for the idea.

kili

Yes I read it in a vet column recommending a spoonful of canned pumpkin
every day.
Supposedly more nutritional than the
hairball remedys which are mainly petroleum jelly.
Pumpkin has lots of fibre. I put it in my pancake mix too
as I also need the fibre. But start with every once in a while. Sometimes
when Rusty has an upset stomach, the pumpkin came out from the tail end on
the floor.
Make sure you get the can with pumpkin only, not the pumpkin mix for pie
which
has other stuff in it.

Winnie

Old May 1st 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

It seems like Oscar has been broadening her palate recently, at least
as far as hoomin food is concerned. I hope that means that if she
ever gets sick, I'll have plenty of options with which to tempt her.

I have a friend who feeds her d*g her daily meds in a big chunk of
liverwurst. The d*g loves it and takes her meds eagerly, every day.

I have tried umpteen times to feed my kids chicken, steak, fish, pork, ham,
bacon, cheese, uh uh. They don't go for it. They don't like any kind of
veggie either. Are my cats just weird? The only thing they cry for is
crab. They know when I steam it and they know the sound of the shell
cracking. They come a-running. And they yell at me. I end up giving them
more than I end up eating!

Don't feel bad. Fin wouldn't, and now Rita won't eat anything that even
vaguely ressembles People Food. She will sniff at it, then it's lost
its appeal for her. Even good stuff, like meat.... I guess it has to
come out of a can that says Cat Food on the side before she'll eat it.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old May 1st 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jane wrote:

It seems like Oscar has been broadening her palate recently, at least
as far as hoomin food is concerned. I hope that means that if she
ever gets sick, I'll have plenty of options with which to tempt her.

I have a friend who feeds her d*g her daily meds in a big chunk of
liverwurst. The d*g loves it and takes her meds eagerly, every day.

The only problem with feeding cats "treats" highly seasoned
stuff like sausage, ham, etc. (I presume you don't let them
make a meal of it) is that it CAN cause intestinal
irritation and inflamation. (Like humans, they don't always
know to avoid something that tastes good, just because it
can cause gastric distress later.)

Old May 1st 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-01, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

The only problem with feeding cats "treats" highly seasoned stuff
like sausage, ham, etc. (I presume you don't let them make a meal of
it) is that it CAN cause intestinal irritation and inflamation.
(Like humans, they don't always know to avoid something that tastes
good, just because it can cause gastric distress later.)

She has had a very tiny amount; I found out she liked it when I left a
plate (I thought it was empty; after all, it only had a few crumbs!)
on a little TV tray style table. I couldn't believe it when I saw
Oscar *on* the tiny table, investigating the plate!

Okay, I did give her a very tiny bit, smaller than a kibble, on her
plate. But you do have a good point. This stuff is well-flavored.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully