rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood

Old August 9th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Vichissoise (or potato leek soup) (WAS: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood)

Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
You bet yur bippy! Another of my signature dishes. Too bad I have
no ambition to be a professional chef Nor to compete on Hell's
Kitchen!

I think you'd have to be a *very* ambitious masochist to compete on
that show. ;-) Your soup sounds delicious! I've never been able to
get my mind around the idea of cold soup, so I'd definitely want it
hot.

I'm not a big chilled soup fan, either. Gaspacho has never been my idea of
a good time. LOL

Jill

Old August 10th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 9 Aug, 13:50, "jmcquown" wrote:
Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
You bet yur bippy! Another of my signature dishes. Too bad I have
no ambition to be a professional chef Nor to compete on Hell's
Kitchen!

I think you'd have to be a *very* ambitious masochist to compete on
that show. ;-) Your soup sounds delicious! I've never been able to
get my mind around the idea of cold soup, so I'd definitely want it
hot.

I'm not a big chilled soup fan, either. Gaspacho has never been my idea of
a good time. LOL

Me neither...I'm gonna try the recipe but it will definitely be for a
cold winters day with a whole French stick (or some sort of crusty
bread) on the side

Cold soup? Never tried it and never wanted to- soup should be hot

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 10th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Lesley wrote:
On 9 Aug, 13:50, "jmcquown" wrote:
Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
You bet yur bippy! Another of my signature dishes. Too bad I have
no ambition to be a professional chef Nor to compete on Hell's
Kitchen!

I think you'd have to be a *very* ambitious masochist to compete on
that show. ;-) Your soup sounds delicious! I've never been able
to get my mind around the idea of cold soup, so I'd definitely want
it hot.

I'm not a big chilled soup fan, either. Gaspacho has never been my
idea of a good time. LOL

Me neither...I'm gonna try the recipe but it will definitely be for a
cold winters day with a whole French stick (or some sort of crusty
bread) on the side

Cold soup? Never tried it and never wanted to- soup should be hot

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Try it served hot in the bread bowls I mentioned. Get four small sourdough
rounds. Cut a lid off the top, rather like you're cutting a pumpkin
Scoop out the center and use the bread to make breadcrumbs or croutons for
salad. Take 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed and rub them on the
inside of the hollowed out bread and on the "lids". Brush with olive oil.
Bake the "bowls" (and lids) at 350F until slightly toasted. Serve the soup
in the bowls. It's an all in one meal - you get to have the soup and eat
the bowl, too! (Of course, you should place it in a deep soup bowl or on a
plate so it doesn't get all sloppy.)

Jill

Old August 10th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 10 Aug, 08:42, "jmcquown" wrote:
Try it served hot in the bread bowls I mentioned. Get four small sourdough
rounds. Cut a lid off the top, rather like you're cutting a pumpkin

Sounds fantastic but what is sourdough? We don't have it over here I
think

Old August 11th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Lesley wrote:
On 10 Aug, 08:42, "jmcquown" wrote:
Try it served hot in the bread bowls I mentioned. Get four small
sourdough rounds. Cut a lid off the top, rather like you're cutting
a pumpkin

Sounds fantastic but what is sourdough? We don't have it over here I
think

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Oh dear. Well, it's um... a yeast bread made famous in San Francisco. I've
actually no idea how to make it. I'm not a baker; I buy it store-bought.
Here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

You could use any small bowl-sized loaves of bread.

Jill

Old August 11th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
On 10 Aug, 08:42, "jmcquown" wrote:
Try it served hot in the bread bowls I mentioned. Get four small
sourdough rounds. Cut a lid off the top, rather like you're cutting
a pumpkin

Sounds fantastic but what is sourdough? We don't have it over here I
think

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Oh dear. Well, it's um... a yeast bread made famous in San Francisco.
I've
actually no idea how to make it. I'm not a baker; I buy it store-bought.
Here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

You could use any small bowl-sized loaves of bread.

Jill

You can make your own sourdough starter, and make it from scratch. I did,
once. The problem is, you have to be someone who is willing to bake at
least once a week. The reason for that is, you have to feed the starter
weekly, to keep it alive. That means you add more flour and, I think,
water. (It's been a few decades) So you'd soon be overrun by the stuff
unless you take some of it out to bake with. It makes good bread with a
slightly sour taste. You can also use the starter for other things like
pancakes and even a chocolate cake. I used to have the instructions for
making the starter, and a bunch of recipes. I'm sure anyone who is
interested in going to all that work could find instructions and recipes on
the Internet.

Joy

Old August 11th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

what is sourdough? We don't have it over here I think
Oh dear. Well, it's um... a yeast bread made famous in San
Francisco.

It doesn't use added yeast, the yeast is whatever falls into the
starter from the air.

You can make your own sourdough starter, and make it from scratch.
I did, once. The problem is, you have to be someone who is willing
to bake at least once a week. The reason for that is, you have to
feed the starter weekly, to keep it alive.

It also works much better in some places than others, partly due to
climate and partly to whatever wild yeasts are in the air. It worked
very well for me in old houses I lived in in central Auckland and
north Edinburgh, out here a few miles to the south of in Edinburgh
in a house that's nearly as old it doesn't work at all. Whereas
houseplants grow better here than any other place I've lived.

Old August 12th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
[...]

A co-worker once gave me some sourdough "starter". You had to "feed" it on
a regular basis, rather like a cat G. It was more trouble than it was
worth and cats are more fun!

Back in my teens and 20's I used to bake bread frequently but I don't have
the strength in my hands to knead dough anymore and I don't own one of those
KitchenAid Mixers with dough hooks. Nor do I have a bread machine, which,
I'm told, will do the kneading for you. It's easier just to buy it at the
supermarket

Old August 12th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Marina wrote:
Yowie wrote:

so if you do post a recipe please be
careful as to the newsgroup line.

It's mushroom season, and this is a good year for forest mushrooms.
The shops are full of chanterelles, especially. Mmmm! This is is a
very simple dish I made the other day:

Zucchini au gratin

1 large zucchini/marrow (make sure it's fresh - it has to be hard as a
rock - or it will taste bitter)
½ litre chanterelles
olive oil
1 large onion
salt, pepper
Parmesan or other strong cheese

Trim the ends off the zucchini/marrow and cut it in half lengthwise.
With a spoon, scoop out the innards and chop the pulp. Sprinkle with
salt and set aside. Sprinkle some salt on the halves and set aside to
'weep'.

Chop the chanterelles roughly. Put them in a dry, hot frying pan. Let
them cook in their own juices until the pan is almost dry, then add
the chopped zucchini pulp and cook until the pan is almost dry again.
Add oil and the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is soft. Add salt
and pepper.

While the filling is cooking, pre-bake the zucchini halves for 5
minutes in the oven at 200 C. Take them out, scoop the filling into
the halves, sprinkle cheese on top, and gratinate for 15 minutes or
until the cheese has melted. Serve with new potatoes and a salad.

When I make this in the winter, I have to use factory-grown mushrooms,
and to spice it up, I add some chili powder to the filling. But these
fresh chanterelles are so mild in taste, I don't want to spoil them
with too many spices.

Sounds delicious!

If you can get yellow (crookneck) squash try this southern US specialty.
Squash casserole:

2 c. sliced yellow (crookneck) squash
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 c. cornbread stuffing crumbs
1 c. milk
1 small minced onion
1 Tbs. butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Place the squash in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients
and gently stir into the squash. Bake at 350F for 1 hour until set. Serves
6

YUM and YUMMER