Question about cat predatory behavior

Old January 14th 05, 12:01 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Ma3rk at
wrote on 1/14/05 12:07AM:

Well, harrumph! Give this a try:

http://home.att.net/~mdwhitney/Image...onSnappers.jpg

M.

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-01-14, Ma3rk penned:

Here's a shot of the little pigeon snapper:
http://www.home.att.net/~mdwhitney/I...onSnappers.jpg

Link's not working ...

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What an awesome shot!! Nice teeth. Very healthy looking.

Old January 14th 05, 12:21 PM
Phil P.

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Do domestic cats bury their prey like the big cats sometimes do? I
personally have never seen one do so.

Ferals do - but I'm not sure if they bury food for sanitary reasons or if
they're burying their stash for later. Its probably a combination of both.

I've seen ferals dig up partially eaten prey but I don't know if the cat
digging up the prey was the cat who caught and killed it.

Phil
--
Cat: A pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings.
--- Oliver Herford

Old January 14th 05, 01:20 PM
Jim Lawton

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:56:52 -0500, "KellyH" wrote:

"-L." wrote in message
roups.com...
Do domestic cats bury their prey like the big cats sometimes do? I
personally have never seen one do so. My dog dug up a dead golden
crowned kinglet that was buried in yard debris (similar to how a cat
would cover poop). Just wondering if the neighbor's cat was the guilty
party.

TIA,
-L.

I have no idea, as my cats have never caught anything. But, cats do that
mock burying move next to their food dish, and will sometimes bury their
remaining food with nearby objects (towels, paper, etc).

When Smudge does that, he's saying "this food is poo" - he does that also if
his sister sicks up - tries to bury it. Never buried anything he caught more fun
to bring it in and let it go - and see that human run, wow !!

Jim

Old January 15th 05, 12:55 AM
-L.

Phil P. wrote:
"Ma3rk" wrote in message
news Pigeon excreta is the chief reservoir for Cryptococcus - which causes
cryptococcosis in cats - a particularly nasty systemic fungal

infection that
affects the cat's eyes, respiratory system and CNS. Crypto is

extremely
difficult and expensive to treat - often takes 6 months to a year or

more
to cure.

http://www.doctorfungus.org/thefungi/cryptococcus.htm

http://www.doctorfungus.org/mycoses/...cosis_cats.htm

Phil

Oh God - this reminds me: One of the worst cases I ever saw was a cat
with Crypto in its sinus - the poor thing eventually had to have a
shunt put into its skill and drugs pumped directly into the shunt. the
cat survived but just barely.

-L.