Question about cat predatory behavior

Old January 14th 05, 01:35 AM
-L.

Default Question about cat predatory behavior

Do domestic cats bury their prey like the big cats sometimes do? I
personally have never seen one do so. My dog dug up a dead golden
crowned kinglet that was buried in yard debris (similar to how a cat
would cover poop). Just wondering if the neighbor's cat was the guilty
party.

TIA,
-L.

Old January 14th 05, 01:56 AM
KellyH

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Do domestic cats bury their prey like the big cats sometimes do? I
personally have never seen one do so. My dog dug up a dead golden
crowned kinglet that was buried in yard debris (similar to how a cat
would cover poop). Just wondering if the neighbor's cat was the guilty
party.

TIA,
-L.

I have no idea, as my cats have never caught anything. But, cats do that
mock burying move next to their food dish, and will sometimes bury their
remaining food with nearby objects (towels, paper, etc).

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 14th 05, 03:37 AM
PaBo

Star did he mock bury thing today. She did this on the papertowel that
we keep her food dish on.
My late cat Vincent used to hide his prey under bushes.

Old January 14th 05, 04:21 AM
Margaret

On 13 Jan 2005 17:35:03 -0800, -L. wrote:

Do domestic cats bury their prey like the big cats sometimes do? I
personally have never seen one do so. My dog dug up a dead golden
crowned kinglet that was buried in yard debris (similar to how a cat
would cover poop). Just wondering if the neighbor's cat was the guilty
party.

Guilty of killing, or guilty of covering? A veterinarian might be able to
tell the cause of death, or refer you to someone who could.

Margaret
Old January 14th 05, 04:22 AM
Ma3rk

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Do domestic cats bury their prey like the big cats sometimes do? I
personally have never seen one do so. My dog dug up a dead golden
crowned kinglet that was buried in yard debris (similar to how a cat
would cover poop). Just wondering if the neighbor's cat was the guilty
party.

TIA,
-L.

Oh, if only they would.

My two yr old Snorky figured out how to catch pigeons this last summer and
insists on bringing them in through the cat door. He was averaging more
than two a day at one point for weeks. Thing is, they aren't always dead &
sometimes get away from him.

Here's a shot of the little pigeon snapper:
http://www.home.att.net/~mdwhitney/I...onSnappers.jpg

Snork specializes in birds; the neighbor cat in rodents (at least they're
dead). I get both presented to me for some reason.

M.

Old January 14th 05, 05:07 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-14, Ma3rk penned:

Here's a shot of the little pigeon snapper:
http://www.home.att.net/~mdwhitney/I...onSnappers.jpg

Link's not working ...

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 14th 05, 06:07 AM
Ma3rk

Well, harrumph! Give this a try:

http://home.att.net/~mdwhitney/Image...onSnappers.jpg

M.

Old January 14th 05, 06:14 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-14, Ma3rk penned:
Well, harrumph! Give this a try:

http://home.att.net/~mdwhitney/Image...onSnappers.jpg

Cute!

Yup, the www on the front doesn't work, looks like.

Old January 14th 05, 06:17 AM
-L.

Margaret wrote:
On 13 Jan 2005 17:35:03 -0800, -L. wrote:

Guilty of killing, or guilty of covering?

Either.

A veterinarian might be able to
tell the cause of death, or refer you to someone who could.

Not a biggie. Besides, it's in the trash now. Awesomely pretty
little thing. I was just wondering if the bird could have been buried
by a cat - it was buried by *something*.

-L.

Old January 14th 05, 11:52 AM
Phil P.

"Ma3rk" wrote in message
news

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Do domestic cats bury their prey like the big cats sometimes do? I
personally have never seen one do so. My dog dug up a dead golden
crowned kinglet that was buried in yard debris (similar to how a cat
would cover poop). Just wondering if the neighbor's cat was the guilty
party.

TIA,
-L.

Oh, if only they would.

My two yr old Snorky figured out how to catch pigeons

Pigeon excreta is the chief reservoir for Cryptococcus - which causes
cryptococcosis in cats - a particularly nasty systemic fungal infection that
affects the cat's eyes, respiratory system and CNS. Crypto is extremely
difficult and expensive to treat - often takes 6 months to a year or more
to cure.

http://www.doctorfungus.org/thefungi/cryptococcus.htm

http://www.doctorfungus.org/mycoses/...cosis_cats.htm

Phil