Latest on Brandy

Old August 22nd 04, 10:41 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "jmcquown"
artfully composed this message within
news
As the anniversary of the
9/11/2001 is coming up those horrific images will be all over
the news again. I don't plan to watch television on 9/11.

I don't watch all that on TV either. It was horrible enough when it
happened, and while I'll never forget, I don't need an "anniversary"
reminder.

--
Cheryl

Old August 23rd 04, 01:28 AM
jmcquown

Singh wrote:
OHMYGOD!!! I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Thank you. And their families thank you for the candles and prayers.

We were bought out by a company in 1999 whose headquarters were in the WTC.
I work in Info Tech which is both a blessing and a curse. After the
acquisition, some people came from NYC to work in Memphis for a while, then
they went back and took some of our Memphis colleagues with them.
(Thankfully some were only short-term assignments.)

As bad luck would have it, the morning of 9/11/2001 our techies were right
on top of things. Within minutes every TV and large screen for
presentations was connected to satellite so we could watch the events
unfold. Gee, thanks guys.

Some of the folks started getting text pages; it was heart-rendering.
"Please call my wife". Stuff like that. It was terrible.

My heart goes
out to you. I cannot imagine the horrors of that time, only try to
remember the heroes.

I do try. And in fact I still correspond with someone who was so very lucky
to escape that day.

Thank you for your thoughts. And you are NOT a psycho! I love your posts.

Jill

On the anniversaries I light candles and do my meditations for fallen
heroes. I was once Wiccan, and this is something from that past that
I have carried into my Sikh faith. We honor the spirits of those who
died heroically, and those who still live despite witnessing the
tragedy, for living through that horror is heroic itself. We
incorporated this concept into my own wedding, where we paid homage
in our temple for those who died in the Holocaust, the survivors and
their descendants (my parents were in the camps as political
prisoners. Matka was devoutly religious and forgave the Nazis, but my
father carried his bitterness to the end.)

You are a hero in your own right.

Blessed be,

Baha

jmcquown wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Singh" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

"Singh" wrote in message
Oh, no! I thought it was all over..

Brandy's mama-to-be is just out of the hospital, where I had to
spend a bit of time for observation. I had an interaction with
recently prescribed medication and they had to call the ambulance
to my work. Took forever to get out of there.

Did the kidneything go okay yesterday? I thought that's why you
were in there.

Oh, I'm not the kidney gal, I'm the psycho. The drug reaction was a
complication resulting from a change in antidepressant dosage and
the resulting effect on my system began to also affect my work.
I've
tried to get the powers that be to let me keep a cat at my cube to
keep the stress away, but no dice...

Blessed be!

Baha

whoops Sorry, I temporarily got you mixed up with CatNipped..
(sorry CN) You are *not* a psycho. I had to go on anti-depressants
myself as a result of a bereavement, and I don't consider myself a
psycho, just reacting to a bad happening. To have to take an
anti-depressant doesn't make you a "pyscho", whatever that is. You
are just sensitive, as are all the nicest people.

Tweed

Indeed. I had to go on anti-depressants after watching 30 (actually
295 but I personally knew/had worked with 30) co-workers die when
the World Trade Center collapsed. My doctor said it was the
"trigger" for my depression. Prior to those tragic events, I was
just fine. As the anniversary of the 9/11/2001 is coming up those

Old August 23rd 04, 01:52 AM
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
Christina Websell wrote:
"Singh" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

"Singh" wrote in message
[...]

OMG. How awful for you. It's no wonder you got depression. Sudden
bereavement was a "triger" for mine too, but actually depression doesn't
need a trigger at all, it can just happen. It's impossible to describe what
it's like to someone who's never had it, it certainly wasn't like I *ever*
imagined.

On 9/11 I went to the local farm, maybe 3 miles away to get chicken food,
like I have to do every week. I drove into the farmyard and when the farmer
came out, he said to me that a plane had crashed into the WTC and then
another one. And I am very ashamed to say that - as a Brit - I'd never
heard of the WTC before then and I had no idea what this news meant.
I just thought it meant two planes had crashed, sad as it was, and wondered
why he seemed so upset about it.
I soon found out when I switched on the TV. I was absolutely horrified,
almost traumatised, by what I saw, and I don't think I will ever get the
images of the people jumping from the windows out of my mind as long as I
live.
Some people from my home county also died there that day, one a 23 year old
young woman, who lived perhaps 15 miles away from where I do.
You might consider counselling to help you heal.

Tweed

Old August 23rd 04, 08:38 AM

Christina Websell wrote:

"Singh" wrote:

Oh, I'm not the kidney gal, I'm the psycho.
Baha

whoops Sorry, I temporarily got you mixed up with CatNipped..
(sorry CN)

That's funny - I confuse these two, also. I think because they joined
RPCA at about the same time, and are both very entertaining writers whose
writing styles have *something* in common that I can't quite describe.

To have to take an anti-depressant doesn't make you a "pyscho",
whatever that is.

"Psycho" simply means "I don't understand your behavior." Seriously. I've
heard people say, "I'm not crazy, I have bi-polar disorder." or, "Just
because you have schizophrenia doesn't mean you're *crazy*." But if these
things aren't "crazy", then what is? Crazy simply refers to unusual
behavior that has not been explained. When something can be labelled
and treated, then it is no longer scary, and people don't have to be
ashamed to say they have that illness.

But why should they ever be ashamed? Wouldn't it be great if people
could make the logical leap to say: They used to think that people who
heard voices were "crazy", and then they found out that those people
have a chemical disorder called schizophrenia. And they used to think
that people whose moods changed constantly from hyped-up to catatonic
with depression were "crazy", but then they found out that those people
have a disorder called bi-polar. So maybe all the so-called weird
behaviors we still don't understand and still call "crazy" (or "psycho")
are just not-yet-explained disorders, that are no more scary or weird
or threatening than the ones that have been explained and treated. And
that we don't have to call anyone "crazy".

Or else, we're all crazy, and proud of it!

Joyce