Black cats

Old December 4th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

Default Black cats

On 4 Dec, 20:43, Judith Latham wrote:

Within the first 6 weeks of sooties arrival, I won three £10 prizes on the
Lottery each for 3 numbers. I tried to get her to realise I needed 6
numbers but she must have taken offence because I haven't won anything
since. Maybe tomorrow.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

I've had Annie for two years, and the best I've done is £2 on a
scratchcard! Or should that be scritchcard?

Jeanette

Old December 7th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Netmask[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
They are considered very lucky here but in USA the reverse.
Why do you think that is?
Tweed

well here in satanic Sydney (Babylon-on-harbour) both black cats and
Friday 13th are considered lucky by the statistics on lottery ticket
sales. But then we never had the puritans in our founding culture, just
a bunch of London crims who didn't trust authority and churches even
less. Glad we got it the right way around LOL
Old December 12th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I have had people ask me, seriously, if I am ever concerned about
Nocturne bringing me bad luck.

I have also had people insinuate that I adopted Nox solely for her
colour when they find out I'm a Witch (Wiccan).

For the record, I went in to adopt a young, calm-tempered, female cat
who showed an interest in DP and I. The colour was nothing more than
coincidence

--Fil

Old December 12th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 11, 11:24*pm, wrote:

* For the record, I went in to adopt a young, calm-tempered, female cat
* who showed an interest in DP and I. *The colour was nothing more than
* coincidence

And apparently, you weren't destined to adopt a "calm-tempered" cat,
at least not on that day.

Ya beat me to it!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 13th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Well to be fair to Nocturne, she's *not* a rambunctious cat.

It's Smokey who's climbing up on the fridge or the shelving or the
television. It's bitties who chase each other about and knock things
off. It's Smokey who has been known to tackle people's ankles, Kumani
who climbs up guests' bodies, Tyche who puffs up and hisses.

Nocturne is an elegant lady who would never lower herself to
interacting with commoners, or sully her own living space with
shenanigans, or bang around on top of cabinets. She's not
destructive, doesn't claw the couch, doesn't make a mess when she
eats, etc.

So in that regard, for a first pet, we did get a well mannered and
placid cat.

It's just the evil cunning and the fact that we were to submit
ourselves to her much wiser care (and her iron paw) that we weren't
expecting.

--Fil

Who tattles that Nox's worst behaviour as a young cat was pouncing our
feet under the covers.

Old December 13th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Dec 1, 5:09*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
They are considered very lucky here but in USA the reverse.
Why do you think that is?
Tweed

Why do think that? I've never heard of black cats being "unlucky."
Aside
from the "black cat crossing your path" nonsense.

Sherry
Old December 13th 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Enfilade wrote:
Well to be fair to Nocturne, she's *not* a rambunctious cat.

It's Smokey who's climbing up on the fridge or the shelving or the
television. It's bitties who chase each other about and knock things
off. It's Smokey who has been known to tackle people's ankles, Kumani
who climbs up guests' bodies, Tyche who puffs up and hisses.

Nocturne is an elegant lady who would never lower herself to
interacting with commoners, or sully her own living space with
shenanigans, or bang around on top of cabinets. She's not
destructive, doesn't claw the couch, doesn't make a mess when she
eats, etc.

However she likes to give love bites to hoomin tummies.
Old December 13th 09, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Enfilade wrote:

[...]

Aww, how cute, Nox as a baby demon.

Joyce

--
I can still remember you
When you were backlit from inside
Old December 13th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 12, 8:24*pm, Sherry wrote:
Why do think that? I've never heard of black cats being "unlucky."
Aside
from the "black cat crossing your path" nonsense.

In the UK a black cat crossing your path is supposed to be lucky
although it has to be said one major time a black cat crossed my path
on the stairs, it was Dunzi and to avoid hurting her I jumped back,
missed the step and spent the next day in casualty with a major ankle
sprain (the ankle is still a bit stiff 18 months later but the most
important thing is she wasn't hurt)

I've been told by a couple of people from the Caribbean that black
cats are associated with the Devil because at night all you can see is
"Satan glowing out from their eyes" but that no-one would harm a black
cat because they are under Satan's protection and Satan will take care
of his own. One of them told me that her cousin was getting ready to
go out one night with some friends and as they were about to get in
the car a black cat crossed the driveway and stopped to look at them.
The friends all refused to get into the car saying Satan was about but
her cousin laughed and told them not to be so stupid and drove
off......apparently after the resulting car crash his brain was found
20 feet from the car. She swore blind it really was her cousing but I
think we're talking urban legend.