Skin problem with a siamese cat

Old May 13th 05, 08:47 AM

Default Skin problem with a siamese cat

From some time now, my siamese cat has some problems with her skin. We
took her to a vet and after lab analysis, she defined the problem to be
some sort of a skin fungus (don't know if this is the medical term),
which makes her constantly itch, and the cat basically scratches small
parts of her skin to blood.

The vet tried a series of shots, but it didn't help at all. Her
response was that this medicine should have cured the cat, and only one
of every 1000 don't respond to the medicine used.

Anyone with similar problems, or ideas how I can solve this problem?

Old May 13th 05, 02:59 PM
Hopitus

Just a shot in the dark....only had one cat w/scratching to
bring blood (making crusty scabs on skin) and it was no
fungus, but cat's allergy to fleas! When we took steps to
make sure not one flea in house (ours don't go out) cat's
skin got a lot better, almost no scratching resulting in blood and scabs. If
your cat doesn't go out and there is not one flea in your house, it must be
something else. Shots will not cure a flea allergy.

wrote in message
oups.com...
From some time now, my siamese cat has some problems with her skin. We

Old May 13th 05, 11:15 PM
Hex

I read some 50 pages today and narrowed it down to either ear mites,
fleas or Yast, which is basically a nutrition/immune system problem.

It's an apartment cat, but we might have brought some fleas in with our
clothes. We tried powder against fleas, along with frequent baths, but
this didn't quite help.

I am considering buyng an anti-parasite leash and making the cat eat
actual real life food

Old May 14th 05, 04:36 AM
Hopitus

Are you the same dude that posted this problem in the first place? Different
names....anyway, if we're talking the same cat: I dunno anything about Yast;
never heard of it.
Vets and even places like PetsMart have strong flea killing meds that you
apply on certain spots on cat's body. They kill all the fleas and don't hurt
the cat. Powder is not strong enough. We've had cats w/ear mites a long time
ago; there is not as much scratching going on as flea allergy, and confined
to cat's ears. If the mites get bad enough, cat starts ambulating strangely,
head way to one side: you would have noticed this, and
mites make dark gummy stuff deep in ears. If you don't want to go to vet
w/this, why not check out strong flea
treatments @ a large pet store?

oups.com...