Are cats susceptible to WNV?

Old October 26th 03, 07:26 PM
MacCandace

Default Are cats susceptible to WNV?

West Nile Virus, that is. I've pretty much ignored all info on WNV because I
live in Phoenix, where you don't see many mosquitos and because WNV didn't even
hit AZ until this year. Now the other day, I heard on the news that one of the
thick-billed parrots
(endangered, native species) at the Phoenix Zoo died of WNV last week and they
are trying to protect the other birds there. My employee picnic is at the Zoo
next weekend but, meanwhile, last night it was very, very windy and today,
while breakfasting outside, we got bit by skeeters repeatedly. They must have
blown in from somewhere. We don't really have any standing water around the
neighborhood. I have a birdbath but change the water daily. I don't know
where they came from...probably blew in from the Zoo, which is about 3 miles
away (and in the direction from which the wind was blowing). The Zoo has
several manmade lakes around and in it that are pretty stagnant, unfortunately.

So...which animals are susceptible other than birds and humans? Horses? But
surely not cats or dogs, right? I figure if I get exposed, I can overcome it
but kitties are little.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)
Old October 26th 03, 07:34 PM
MacCandace

This is the only news story I can find on this in the local print media. I'm
surprised that people aren't more concerned about it. The Phoenix Zoo gets
thousands of visitors daily.

Oct. 22, 2003 12:00 AM

West Nile virus kills parrot at Phoenix Zoo

EAST PHOENIX - A thick-billed parrot at the Phoenix Zoo has died of West Nile
virus, zoo officials said Tuesday.

The parrot was one of eight on exhibit on the zoo's Arizona Trail and is
endangered in Arizona. It became sick three weeks ago and died the day after
zookeepers noticed its illness. The University of Arizona veterinary lab on
Tuesday confirmed the cause of death as West Nile virus.

It is the first animal case of the virus at the zoo. Officials say they will
continue monitoring zoo animals for West Nile, which is transmitted through
mosquito bites.

The zoo routinely vaccinates its flamingos, zebras, horses and mules against
West Nile.

Old October 26th 03, 07:39 PM
Sherry

So...which animals are susceptible other than birds and humans? Horses? But
surely not cats or dogs, right? I figure if I get exposed, I can overcome it
but kitties are little.

We have had several horses in this state infected, but I can't find any data
about dogs or cats. I hope someone has an answer, I would also be interested.

Sherry

Old October 26th 03, 07:45 PM
MacCandace

Bummer, just found this info on the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/west..._dogs_cats.htm

West Nile Virus and Dogs and Cats
Q. Can West Nile virus cause illness in dogs or cats?
A. Since 1999, there has been one confirmed death of a dog, and of one cat,
infected with West Nile virus. It should be understood, however, that the dog
was already in poor health, and was immune compromised - and therefore is not
representative of dogs in general. Experimentally infected dogs* showed no
symptoms after infection with WNV. Some infected cats exhibited mild,
nonspecific symptoms during the first week after infection-for the most part
only showing a slight fever and slight lethargy.
It is unlikely that most pet owners would notice any unusual symptoms or
behavior in cats or dogs that become infected with WNV.
Q. How can my veterinarian treat my cat or dog if they are/may be infected with
WNV?
A. There is no specific treatment for WNV infection. Full recovery from the
infection is likely. Treatment would be supportive and consistent with standard
veterinary practices for animals infected with a viral agent.
Q. Does my dog/cat becoming infected pose a risk to the health of my family or
other animals?
A. There is no documented evidence of dog or cat-to-person transmission of West
Nile virus. The evidence suggests that dogs do not develop enough virus in
their bloodstream to infect more mosquitoes. Cats develop slightly higher
levels of virus in their bloodstream, but it is unclear if this would be enough
to infect mosquitoes. It is very unlikely that cats would be important in
furthering the spread of the virus. *

If your animal becomes infected with WNV, this suggests that there are infected
mosquitoes in your area. You should take measures to prevent mosquitoes from
biting you (use repellent and wear protective clothing.)
Veterinarians should take normal infection control precautions when caring for
any animal (Including birds) suspected to have this or any viral infection.

Q. How do cats and dogs become infected with West Nile virus?
A. Dogs and cats become infected when bitten by an infected mosquito. There is
also evidence that cats can become infected with the virus after eating
experimentally infected mice. *
Q. Can I become infected with WNV if a dog with the virus bites me?
A. Preliminary studies have not been able to detect virus in the saliva of
infected dogs. This suggests that dog bites pose a low risk, if any, of
transmission of WNV from dogs to other animals or people.
Q. Is there a vaccine for cats or dogs?
A. No.
Q. Should a dog or cat infected with West Nile virus be destroyed?
A. No. There is no reason to destroy an animal just because it has been
infected with West Nile virus. Full recovery from the infection is likely.
Treatment would be supportive and consistent with standard veterinary practices
for animals infected with a viral agent.

Q. Can I use insect repellent on my pets?
A. DEET-based repellents, which are recommended for humans, are not approved
for veterinary use (largely because animals tend to ingest them when licking.)
Talk with your veterinarian for advice about the appropriate product for use on
your pet.
* Based on Augusten et al., forthcoming publication. Reference will be posted
on the CDC website when published.

Old October 26th 03, 09:16 PM
Cathy Friedmann

I don't know... WNV has been here in the NE for a few years now, but come
to think of it, I've heard/read only about humans, birds (esp. crows), &
horses, never house pets & other animals. I wonder about bats, too,
considering how many mosquitoes they devour.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon