Real Life Intrudes and a Kitten Update

Old May 22nd 05, 06:44 PM
tanada

Default Real Life Intrudes and a Kitten Update

First of all I'd like to send apologies and purrs and hugs wherever
needed/wanted for those I haven't responded to or even read their posts
the last week (well since the 16th). I'm afraid that this is the
roughest time of the year for teachers and by extension for us subs.
Next Friday is the last day of school here in Cumberland County and
we're hopping on our toes to keep them busy, give them end of grade and
class tests, prepare them for said tests, and keep them from getting the
end of the year crazies.

This year's ending is a bittersweet one for me. Not only am I losing
some of my favorite students, but I'm going out on a limb and putting
myself out of a job for a few years. Starting next fall, I'll be
attending the local community college (Fayetteville Technical Community
College) to get my Associates of Arts degree and then transfer to
Fayetteville State University to finish my English and Secondary
Education degrees and get my teacher's certification.

Unlike most states, North Carolina doesn't require a teaching
certificate for substitute teachers. A lot of southern states don't
require one. I have the basic credentials in spades (SAT over 1100, or
47 college credits, or a score of 85% or higher on the ability tests)
but I want to do more now and I need to bring in more in the way of a
future for our family. So I'm taking that leap over a crevasse and
going for it.

I'm scared. I turn 50 this year and may be too old. It has been a long
time since I've been on the student's side of the classroom and I might
start critiquing my professors. Worse, I might give up on myself and
refuse to attend classes or pay attention in them. We'll see what
happens, but I'll admit that I'm terrified and thrilled at the same
time. If I could, I think I'd become a professional student.

Now onto a more relevant subject. The KITTENS!! They are ready for
their forever homes. They are spending most of their time away from
Sonya, have been taught basic litter box, food dish, and water bowl
etiquette, and have been doing their best to convince us that being a
hoolikitten is the best career for a young cat. Basically, they are
driving Mandy nuts and I'm getting there.

They keep her awake all night long playing on her computer and among her
breakables. Telling her to put them up does no good. She says that
they have to learn to behave. I tell her that kittens and little kids
are not the same. Kittens don't understand the world is not a bap toy,
where kids understand it at much earlier ages. We argue over this.
Sonya, in her wisdom doesn't get involved. She rarely does anything
about the kitten borne mayhem that dominates our house. On occasion,
she will call them to order, but that is rare. Sonya clearly has
decided that her job is done and it is time to get the little parasites
out of here. So, next week we will arrange to take them to The Haven
for their shots, neutering, and arrange for them to be adopted out.
I'll miss them, but then again maybe I won't. The little sh*ts tore my
sewing/craft holder and I now have to replace it.

Pam S.
Old May 22nd 05, 09:23 PM
Victor Martinez

tanada wrote:
myself out of a job for a few years. Starting next fall, I'll be
attending the local community college (Fayetteville Technical Community
College) to get my Associates of Arts degree and then transfer to
Fayetteville State University to finish my English and Secondary
Education degrees and get my teacher's certification.

You go girl!

I'm scared. I turn 50 this year and may be too old. It has been a long

Too old for what? School? I don't think so! I think it's awesome that
you want to go back to school.

Awww... the bitties grew so fast!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 22nd 05, 09:39 PM
polonca12000

You'll do great as a student, Pam, I'm sure about it!
We are sending lots of purrs and best wishes for the hoolikittens to find
their onetruehomes really soon and for you to not miss them too much,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"tanada" wrote in message
nk.net...
snip Starting next fall, I'll be

Old May 23rd 05, 12:38 AM
Jo Firey

So you are about to join the DAR,

Not Daughters of the American Revolution but Damned Average Raisers. At
least that is how they referred to women return students back when I was
one.

Proud of you.

Jo
nk.net...

Old May 23rd 05, 01:29 AM
Sam Nash

"tanada" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Purrs to get you through the bumps of schools' year-end, and many more on
your pursuit of the teaching cert.
And purrs for Mandy and you to get the kits through their journey to
forever-homes. We think of you all often.
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old May 23rd 05, 03:21 AM
catzr555

Pam you will be just fine. My sister-in-law is about to finish her
teacher cert. for the state of New Mexico. after raising 7 kids she
starting working at the local school as a room helper for Autistic(sp)
children and decided to get her certificate.
She just turned 63.
You go girl!!
cora

Old May 23rd 05, 03:35 AM
badwilson

Aww, thanks for the kitty update! Purrs for them to all go to
wonderful homes. And purrs for your new endeavors, I'm sure you'll do
well.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old May 23rd 05, 05:14 AM
Marina

tanada wrote:
snippage

This year's ending is a bittersweet one for me. Not only am I losing
some of my favorite students, but I'm going out on a limb and putting
myself out of a job for a few years. Starting next fall, I'll be
attending the local community college (Fayetteville Technical Community
College) to get my Associates of Arts degree and then transfer to
Fayetteville State University to finish my English and Secondary
Education degrees and get my teacher's certification.

WTG, Pam! When I graduated from university (at age 34; I was a 'mature
student' too), huge applause was given to a woman of around 70 as she
walked to the Dean to receive her diploma. People just wouldn't stop
applauding and cheering. So, as you well know, it's never *ever* too late.
more snippage

Now onto a more relevant subject. The KITTENS!! They are ready for
their forever homes.

Many purrs that the kittens find good foreverhomes. Are you still
keeping one?

--
Marina, Frank and Mere
Old May 24th 05, 12:41 PM
Jane

I'm scared. I turn 50 this year and may be too old. It has been a long
time since I've been on the student's side of the classroom and I might
start critiquing my professors. Worse, I might give up on myself and

You're never too old to go back to school. In fact,the biggest problem
you might have is being annoyed with the youngsters who just don't
understand the importance of being in school!

For what it's worth, I went back for my final year (and my only year
fulltime) at 33, graduated at 34, and FINALLY paid off my last
student loan at 44! It was a great moment for me. My mother didn't
live to see it, but my father was excited enough for all of us.
And the education was worth it, too. Just by the virtue of HAVING
that 4-year diploma, my salary almost tripled in 3 years!

So, you're never too old. You might have to re-learn the old study
habits and the art of reading something that you didn't pick
yourself, but it'll come back. Add that to the wisdom of age,
and you'll be a shoe-in for good grades!
Keep us posted, okay?

Jane
Old May 24th 05, 09:55 PM
Tanadashoes

Qui Gun Kit and Sonya (his momma) are staying with us. Qui is the most zen
of the kittens. He will curl up against me and take a nap upon occasion,
is willing to face down Tanada (then runs off), and loves to snuggle up
against my head.

Sonya is getting very relaxed being out on her own. The kittens are
becoming very independent and Sonya no longer worries about their
behavior.

We have this fabric covered foam cube bed thing. It used to be quite
popular with the cats. No longer. The kittens have taken it over. They
kick the greeblings out of it, climb in and out of it, attack the little
hanging toy in it and roll it over and around the floor. To preserve my
feet, I pulled it out from under my desk and tossed it into the center of
the bedroom floor. It takes a beating.

The night before last, I dreamed that I was being beat up, run over, and
turned into a speedway by tiny little people. I woke up with Eric staring
into my face while he tried to liberate some hair from my head. Mandy is
no longer their favorite play toy, I am.

Qui Gun Kit is not one of the ring leaders in the mayhem, Eric and
Traveler are. Qui tends to do his own form of mayhem, usually upon my
toes. He loves to follow Mike around.

Pine Cone sniffs the kittens and watches them at play. The rest of the
gang seem ok with them, so long as they know the limits of attack. You
can make a couple of swipes at the tail (which is usually left dangling
over a chair or bed) but you may not bite. Things are quite interesting
around here, but I'm looking forward to some quiet in the future.

Pam S.