Cat wrangling

Old October 5th 03, 03:28 AM
Christine Burel

Default Cat wrangling

Hi all,

Haven't been around much recently because my every spare evening minute now
is devoted to cat wrangling. I've been working on integrating Tucker in
with the other 4 cats the past 2+ weeks and this has turned into a
considerable effort. Basically, my best time to work on letting him out
with the other cats is in the evenings after dinner when I arm myself with
the welding gloves, laser pointer, Feliway spray bottle, piece of string,
and a roll of paper towels. I need 2 more hands at least for all this
stuff. Tucker starts out pretty well and has learned to inhibit a lot of
his fight and bite reflexes but after Oreo has hissed and postured at him
with full tail puff-out for the umpteenth time,he's had it and he wants a
piece of her so I'm there to insert the roll of paper towels so he can bite
and take his aggression out on this. He's figured out that when he gets
angry it's okay to destroy the evil paper towel roll rather than end up in
his cage from trying to bite his meowmie. I guess we've found a new use for
Bounty paper towels that isn't listed in their ads...

Making progress albeit slowly, but I sure miss hanging out as much as I am
wont to here. I definitely get my workout as I try to convince each cat
that Tucker's being here also means playtime with meowmie, hence the laser
pointer and string. Liberal dispensing of cat treats also occurs...At
bedtime for my daughter though (9 pm) I end this as I'm worn out by this
point (however, I guess I'm getting great experience if I ever want to go
into the circus with a cat act). Tucker and Celeste and I go into her room
for a few minutes and Tucker takes turns gracing our laps with his rather
rotund furballness. He noses each one of us, purrs, and has a silly, happy
look on his face (much better than the scared face he always had before).
After mutual schmoozing he goes into his cage for the night and Celeste gets
tucked in...I leave, close the louvre door, and fall into bed.

Christine (slave of Midnight, Omar, Oreo, Robin & Tucker)

Old October 5th 03, 05:17 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:28:39 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like good progress, so wouldn't worry much if it seems slow
sometimes. It's great that he's so bunch better with you, and will
hope that he can get along with the other furry masters soon. Sounds
like Robin is fitting in well, so hope Tucker can as well.

I'm just lucky that Rocky was a regular here, and had regular
interactions with my girls before his official adoption. He may never
be best friends with Little Bit, but plays with Sammy and they have
even been known to do a little mutual grooming lately.
Old October 5th 03, 05:40 AM
Marina

"Christine Burel" wrote

Haven't been around much recently because my every spare evening minute

now
is devoted to cat wrangling.

It sounds like you are getting there, slowly but surely. Soothing purrs for
you, I think you need them. You have done a wonderful job with Tucker (and
Robin, of course).

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 5th 03, 07:11 AM
LOL

"Christine Burel" wrote in message ...
[...]

Errr, Christine, I believe you *are* in a circus with a cat act. ;-)

It sounds like Tucker has made really remarkable progress - after all,
he is *reacting* to aggression, appropriately or not, rather than
initiating it. We are steadily sending purrs your way, hoping
everything settles down eventually.

------
Krista
Who thinks the roll of paper towels is a brilliant idea
Old October 5th 03, 11:01 AM
polonca12000

What great progress!
Continued purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
Hi all,

Haven't been around much recently because my every spare evening minute

now
is devoted to cat wrangling. I've been working on integrating Tucker in
with the other 4 cats the past 2+ weeks and this has turned into a
considerable effort. snip

Old October 5th 03, 03:23 PM
Lisa Katt

Oh Christine, I admire your patience.
Purrs that everything will continue to go in the right direction!
Elisabet and Hugo Katt

Old October 7th 03, 03:50 AM
Cheryl

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
Hi all,

Haven't been around much recently because my every spare evening

minute now
is devoted to cat wrangling. I've been working on integrating

Tucker in
with the other 4 cats the past 2+ weeks and this has turned into a
considerable effort.

Hang in there Christine. I've been looking for your Tucker posts.
I know you're exhausted and it seems like it is too slow but it sounds
like you're making progress. If it helps any, just this weekend
Bonnie jumped up on the couch and half sat on my lap. I know Tucker
is the opposite of Bonnie and integrating him with your cats is your
problem, integrating Bonnie with me is mine (she's been so great with
Shadow and Shamrock). This weekend was a bunch of firsts. Even just
last night I kept waking up and she was laying on top of me. I picked
her up today. lol After she got over the shock, she realized I
lifted her to the counter where the food was out of Shadow's reach and
she ate. Came to me later so it wasn't that traumatic. Purrs that the
other guys accept Tucker.

Old October 7th 03, 08:22 AM
Yowie

"LOL" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Or in a cat's circus with you as the "human act".

Sounds like you are doing really well, Christine. More purrs for Tucker and
the rest of the crew to become, if not best buddies, at least comfortable
enough with each other for you to trust them without supervision (Sorta like
Fluffy & Shmogg - while they'll destroy things individually if we're not
supervising, at least they aren't trying to destroy each other any more)

Yowie