Major Purchase H*ll

Old May 4th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Major Purchase H*ll

On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:10:01 -0700, sriddles wrote:

I guess when it rains, it really does pour.

The transmission went out on DH's truck. Thirty days later it "threw a
rod" which I don't understand but assume it's bad. So we decided we
better get rid of it, and though neither one of us wanted to take on a
new truck loan, we bought another one.
Seven days after we bought the new truck, the riding lawnmower quit.
Being a 1982 model, it wasn't worth repairing, so we bought another
one. Yesterday.
Just today I went to the referigerator and the ice cream is mushy.
Really bad sign for a 26-year-old refrigerator. Going tomorrow to shop
for one.
While fixing dinner tonight, I was going bake some fish that was
thawing in the freezer, and went to pre-heat the oven. Ten minutes
later it was still cold. The heating element went out. Fortunately,
that's not too big a deal to fix, but I bet it has to be ordered.

I can't believe this.

Sherry

That is the problem -- when you originally buy things around the same
time, they decide to turn up their little feet around the same time
Deepest sympathy....been there. MLB

Old May 5th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

I knew you all had been having trouble w/that truck but it has given up
the ghost unless you have family/pals who can efficiently replace the
entire engine and trannie in it.
Havng never had a lawn mower of any sort, I sympathize but fail to
relate to its loss. Men love to pick those things out personally; it
seems to be mostly a "male" thing.
BUT....I'm really impressed by "26-year-old-fridge"!!! Never heard
of one that lasted that long....I thought I had a good time record
for longevity when mine gasped its last after 13 years. Now you,
Sherry, should select, when the time comes, *your* personal
fave features to replace the beast (faithful servant beast it was
for such a long time).....when you shop, you will be blown away
by the nifty things they've put in high-end fridges lately, and I'm
not talking SubZero or most expensive models. I bought a state-of-
the-art Maytag in '01 (black) - now the in thing is stainless and
"brushed effect" metallic outer finishes - but I think fridge shopping
is lots more fun than mower shopping, stove-element (yawn) shopping,
and *almost*, truck shopping. Condolences on P.O.ing the
Appliance Dieties, who have landed on you w/all four feet.....

Old May 5th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-04 20:52:37 -0500, "dnr" said:

[...]

I saw one with a *T.V.* in the door at Best Buy! I thought that was
just ridiculous. It was like 3K.

Old May 5th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen" wrote in message

when you shop, you will be blown away
by the nifty things they've put in high-end fridges lately, and I'm
not talking SubZero or most expensive models. I bought a state-of-
the-art Maytag in '01 (black) - now the in thing is stainless and
"brushed effect" metallic outer finishes - but I think fridge shopping
is lots more fun than mower shopping, stove-element (yawn) shopping,
and *almost*, truck shopping. Condolences on P.O.ing the
Appliance Dieties, who have landed on you w/all four feet.....

I saw one with a *T.V.* in the door at Best Buy! I thought that was just
ridiculous. It was like 3K.

ROFL - if I could spend $3000 on a fridge, I'd fudge on the fridge
price, settle for (LOL) NO tv in door (I saw that, too.....I think that has
same future as ones w/PC's in door) and......blow most of it on one of
those imported ranges (ah, yes, to dream....)....to fry one's bacon on
a Gaggenau........

Old May 5th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, they do have them with computers (the fridges), and are programmable to
program your other appliances and electronic components (TV, stereo, and
yes, even lights and garage door). The question should be changed from
"what can brown do for you?" (UPS commercials) to "what can your fridge do
for you?" LOL

Old May 5th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
[...]

It's history. Never buy a Dodge Ram Hemi. It looked great in the
driveway, but spent an inordinant amount of time in the shop and on the
end of a tow truck. It was a serious lemon.

Havng never had a lawn mower of any sort, I sympathize but fail to
relate to its loss. Men love to pick those things out personally; it
seems to be mostly a "male" thing.

He was quite bonded with the old John Deere. It was purchased in 1982.
Like the guy said who saw it when he delivered the new one, '"It sure
don't owe you nuthin'."

BUT....I'm really impressed by "26-year-old-fridge"!!! Never heard
of one that lasted that long....I thought I had a good time record
for longevity when mine gasped its last after 13 years. Now you,
Sherry, should select, when the time comes, *your* personal
fave features to replace the beast (faithful servant beast it was
for such a long time).....when you shop, you will be blown away
by the nifty things they've put in high-end fridges lately, and I'm
not talking SubZero or most expensive models. I bought a state-of-
the-art Maytag in '01 (black) - now the in thing is stainless and
"brushed effect" metallic outer finishes - but I think fridge shopping
is lots more fun than mower shopping, stove-element (yawn) shopping,

Can't wait! I don't even have an ice-maker on the old one. The old
fridge was the same age as the house. So is the central air, which we
haven't turned on yet this year. I'm scared to turn it on now!

Old May 5th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I not only sympathize; I empathize.

Some say that a couple has its worst run of bad luck after the wedding,
and it could not have been truer for me and Louie. In the space of less
than two months, he ran over a pothole that could have floated an aicraft
carrier, and blew the whole wheel of his car into the next county--not the
tire, the wheel. A couple of weeks later, the electric thing that triggers
the furnace to kick in when the temperature gets to a certain low point
blew, and on a night that was easily 10 degrees Fahrenheit below zero,
with windchiils of minus 25 or worse. And, less than a month after, our
water heater blew a gasket, spewing hot water everywhere and requiring yet
another purchase of several hundred dollars. Eventually we did get some
good karma back. I can now fit into the nice new car, far better than I
did with the roller skate with a roof we used to drive.

We still have not had our wedding pictures done after climbing out of the
hole. So boy, do I understand!!!

Blessed be,
Baha