Mabel's story (long)

Old August 24th 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lois

Default Mabel's story (long)

Mabel was one of my breeding Queens, she came to me at 10 weeks old, a
lovely little blue tortie.
When she was pregnant with her first litter I was selling two kittens from
another litter to a couple who lived 15 minutes away from me, they came out
often to visit their fur kids while they were growing up, Dave the male
slave was cat mad, he had been owned by Burmese previously his wife Joan was
a dog person (she had bred dogs and was a dog show judge) she quickly fell
in love with the two kittens, Emily and Jazmin, but Dave was besotted, he
asked to see my other cats, he loved my Mabel, she made such a fuss of him,
he said I will have this one too, no you can't have her she is one of my
breeders and she is pregnant, that doesn't matter he said. Every time they
came out to look and play with their babies he also went out to Mabel.

Eventually they took Emily and Jazmin home, we became firm friend, visiting
each other often.

Sometime later (probably a year) I got a phone call from a very distraught
man, I couldn't make head nor tail of what he was saying but manage to
gather that his cat had been in an accident, it was Dave, the love of his
life had been hit by a car and killed, he was crying I was crying, there was
almost a divorce in his family as he blamed Joan, I tried to calm him down
and then I couldn't believe what I was saying but said would you like Mabel,
really, would you give her to me, I feel better already. Then I fretted had
I done the right thing, I had not intended for her to leave but felt
compelled to help ease his pain.

I wanted her to have another litter (she had only had the one) so next day I
rang and spoke to both Joan and Dave, asked how would they feel if I mated
Mabel before they picked her up, they could bring the kittens up until they
were weaned, they could also have their choice from the litter, both were
over the moon at the prospect.

Fast forward a few years - Mabel had been sick on and off, throwing up for
no apparent reason, they had tests done, went to different vets, they were
very good cat slaves tried different foods with limited success, it all came
to a head 5 weeks ago when she had another bout of illness, was hospitalised
for 13 days, more tests then an operation, at this time Dave was also in and
out of hospital, everytime Joan visited him he would ask about "his" girl.

This morning Joan phoned me, Mabel has been throwing up again and can't keep
anything down, she phoned the vet to get the latest test results it appears
that for years she has suffered an allergy of some sort that has ruined her
gut and the food is only going so far down and can't go any further, it sits
there for a few days and then comes back up again, she is starving to death,
her insides are all scared, Joan has made the heart breaking decision to
have her put to sleep tomorrow. Dave is back in hospital having an operation
today, she hadn't told him the latest this morning, I talked her into taking
Mabel out to see him, I know he will be absolutely gutted at the news, but
feel he would want to see her.

My heart aches for them. Mabel is 10 years old.

They still have Emily and Jelly who is Mabel's son that they kept from the
litter they had way back when they first got Mabel.

Sorry this is so long but needed to get it off my chest.

Purrs for Mabel's soul.

Lois

--
http://zeotropeburmese.kiwiwebhost.net.nz

Burmese are like potato chips, you can't just have one!

Old August 24th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

"Lois" wrote in message

Sorry this is so long but needed to get it off my chest.

Purrs for Mabel's soul.

Lois

Many purrs and prayers. This is a heart rending decision, and Mabel and
her devoted slaves are very much in my thoughts, as are you.

Helen M

Old August 24th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:9e2d6cffd7cb23a1f33d45f85c2f0d36.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Lois" wrote in message

Sorry this is so long but needed to get it off my chest.

Purrs for Mabel's soul.

Lois

Many purrs and prayers. This is a heart rending decision, and Mabel and
her devoted slaves are very much in my thoughts, as are you.

*sniff*. Purrs & prayers for both Mabel, and htat hearts that are breaking
because of their love for her.

Yowie

Old August 24th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Lois wrote:
snip
My heart aches for them. Mabel is 10 years old.

They still have Emily and Jelly who is Mabel's son that they kept
from the litter they had way back when they first got Mabel.

Sorry this is so long but needed to get it off my chest.

Purrs for Mabel's soul.

Lois

How terribly sad :-( Purrs for Dave and Joan, and all who loved Mabel. I
will light a candle for her.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old August 24th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:05:13 +1200, "Lois" yodeled:

Purrs for Mabel.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old August 24th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

OH how sad Purrs for them all. Purrs for Dave. How will he recover from
the operation? ((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))to them all.

Old August 24th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie Cook

Lois wrote:

[...]

Purrs and gentle headbutts on the way for Mabel, Joan and especially
Dave. We'll light a candle tonight to help guide Mabel on her journey.
Purrs for you as well, Lois.

Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old August 24th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

What a sad story!
Lots and lots of purrs and hugs,
Polonca and Soncek

Old August 25th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Lois" wrote in message
Mabel was one of my breeding Queens, she came to me at 10 weeks old, a
lovely little blue tortie.
When she was pregnant with her first litter I was selling two kittens from
another litter to a couple who lived 15 minutes away from me, they came
out often to visit their fur kids while they were growing up, Dave the
male slave was cat mad, he had been owned by Burmese previously his wife
Joan was a dog person (she had bred dogs and was a dog show judge) she
quickly fell in love with the two kittens, Emily and Jazmin, but Dave was
besotted, he asked to see my other cats, he loved my Mabel, she made such
a fuss of him, he said I will have this one too, no you can't have her she
is one of my breeders and she is pregnant, that doesn't matter he said.
Every time they came out to look and play with their babies he also went
out to Mabel.

It does sound as though she found her one true home, even if it meant
leaving a perfectly good home. Her health problems would likely have
happened anyway. And it sounds like being a breeding queen might not have
been for her in the long run.

Strange how they can sometime tell us these things isn't it?

Our first little poodle had been intended for showing and breeding.
Absolutely perfect body and coat. Turns out the woman who sold her to us
made a good choice. Willie didn't have a brain in her head and definite
never developed the spark required to show. Definitely a lover. Also an
unsuccessful mom. She had lovely puppies, just refused to raise them.

Purrs for you as I know how much you feel this loss. And for Joan and Dave
at a very trying time in there lives.

Jo