OT - UK Politics (Jeffrey Archer novel)

Old July 28th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default OT - UK Politics (Jeffrey Archer novel)

If anyone had told me I would find a novel about British
politics utterly fascinating, I would have told them they
were crazy! However, I recently picked up a second-hand
copy of Archer's "First Among Equals", and am finding it
hard to put down. But....

As a USAian, I know next to nothing about the mechanics of
UK politics, and the author blends actual historical
characters in with his fictional ones so skillfully that I'm
not sure what's real and what's fiction. The book was
copyright in 1984, and the story line runs from 1964 through
1991, so obviously many of the events MUST be products of
the author's imagination, but I'm not quite sure where fact
ends and fiction begins, in his portrayal of events for the
years that had already passed when the book was written.

If any of our UK posters has read the book, could you
perhaps enlighten me? (E-mail will be fine, if you don't
want to clutter up the newsgroup with off-topic material.)
Thanks.

Evelyn

Old July 29th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

If anyone had told me I would find a novel about British
politics utterly fascinating, I would have told them they
were crazy! However, I recently picked up a second-hand
copy of Archer's "First Among Equals", and am finding it
hard to put down. But....

As a USAian, I know next to nothing about the mechanics of
UK politics, and the author blends actual historical
characters in with his fictional ones so skillfully that
I'm not sure what's real and what's fiction. The book was
copyright in 1984, and the story line runs from 1964 through
1991, so obviously many of the events MUST be products of
the author's imagination, but I'm not quite sure where fact
ends and fiction begins, in his portrayal of events for the
years that had already passed when the book was written.

Archer's books have all been mostly ghostwritten. He can barely
string a written sentence together. But he was well enough
embedded in the inner circle of Thatcher's corruption and sleaze
that he probably had some actuality tips to pass on to the ghost.

Old July 30th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

Jeffrey Archer is scum here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/archer

I would rather lie down on hot coals than read one of his books.

Tweed

Old July 31st 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
poldy

In article ,
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Archer's books have all been mostly ghostwritten. He can barely
string a written sentence together. But he was well enough
embedded in the inner circle of Thatcher's corruption and sleaze
that he probably had some actuality tips to pass on to the ghost.

Corruption and sleaze aren't things I've heard associated with Thatcher.

Can you elaborate a bit?
Old July 31st 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

poldy wrote:
In article ,
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Archer's books have all been mostly ghostwritten. He can barely
string a written sentence together. But he was well enough
embedded in the inner circle of Thatcher's corruption and sleaze
that he probably had some actuality tips to pass on to the ghost.

Corruption and sleaze aren't things I've heard associated with
Thatcher.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Archer spent time in prison for perjury, many people think he should have
stayed their.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 31st 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Black

"poldy" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Archer's books have all been mostly ghostwritten. He can barely
string a written sentence together. But he was well enough
embedded in the inner circle of Thatcher's corruption and sleaze
that he probably had some actuality tips to pass on to the ghost.

Corruption and sleaze aren't things I've heard associated with Thatcher.

Can you elaborate a bit?

Both her husband and son have extensive connections, including
directorships, with companies that made fortunes from the 'outsourcing' of
government defence contracts, as did William Waldegrave's family, amongst
others.

--
William Black

Time for tea.