For MaryL

Old October 22nd 03, 01:32 PM
Rachel

Default For MaryL

Hi Mary, I've been looking again at your pictures and was wondering, where
did you get those tall carpet covered poles from, did you buy them or make
them yourself? If you made them could you share how you did it?

Thank you

Rachel

Old October 22nd 03, 03:26 PM
MaryL

"Rachel" wrote in message
Hi Mary, I've been looking again at your pictures and was wondering, where
did you get those tall carpet covered poles from, did you buy them or make
them yourself? If you made them could you share how you did it?

Thank you

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I bought the cat tree (with 3 poles of various heights) from
www.createacatcondo.com. The tree is wonderful, but after I bought it I
realized that Duffy could easily climb up the poles, but he had difficulty
getting down from the upper bed because he is blind and couldn't feel the
pole to get back to it. It became obvious that I needed another pole that
would mount to the outside of the upper bed so he could "navigate" better
(and get back down easily). Likewise, he could get to the top of the
computer hutch by using the little shelves to climb, but he couldn't reach
far enough (upside-down) to feel them to climb back down. So that was the
second place where I wanted a pole. Finally, another one was added to the
horizontal surface of the computer hutch to add some safety.

I have a handyman who does all sorts of odd-job work for me (and has done
this so long that he is now a good friend). I contacted him, and he made
the poles for me. He found carpet that is a close match to the carpeting on
the cat tree. The two vertical poles are 4" x 4" and the horizontal pole
(on top of the hutch) is 2" x 4". He wrapped the carpet very tightly around
the wood and stapled the edge VERY close together. He used a sturdy
stainless steel brace to mount the one pole to the top of the hutch, and it
is stabilized at the bottom by securing it to a heavy carpeted wood base
(similar to what you can see on commercial trees). The extra pole on the
cat tree was mounted by using heavy screws (more like bolts) directly
through the edge of the upper bed on the cat tree and into the pole. He did
a great job -- it looks good, and there are no loose edges or rough staples
to injure the cats. Let me know if you need more precise information than
this. I can call him and get whatever information you need.

The cats love these poles, especially Duffy -- he scrambles backward down
the poles like no cat I have ever seen.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old October 22nd 03, 04:55 PM
Rachel

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Mary, I really need to find something for my Murphy to
climb, he really wants to climb but I can't find anyone who makes good cat
trees over here. He uses the clothes horse at the moment but it's getting
scary, he's already had it over a few times. See over on binaries animals
group for a couple of pics. We'll see about giving them ago, or finding our
own handy man! If we need more help then I'll come back to you if you don't
mind.

Thanks again.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:33 PM
MaryL

"Rachel" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
[...]

I looked at your pictures of Murphy, and he is adorable. I can see why you
have some concerns about the clothes horse because it looks like it could
fall over as a cat leaps to or from it.

Where are you located? Are you in the U.S.? If so, the place I ordered my
cat tree ships anywhere in the U.S., and the cost of shipping is included in
their prices. You can locate them he www.createacatcondo.com

Many people do make their own cat trees. I think it is important for them
to be heavy and sturdy -- it is surprising how much stress a cat can place
on a tree as the cat scrambles up and down. Here are some places on the
Internet that have plans for cat furnitu
Plans for do-it-yourself cat furnitu

http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html#build-it

http://www.cat-tree-plans.com/

http://www.flippyscatpage.com/furniturediy.html

Please feel free to contact me by e-mail if you want more information from
the man who built my poles. However, as I said, I got the tree from
CreateACatCondo. My e-mail address that is is connected to this message is
valid except that you have to "take out the litter."

Old October 22nd 03, 10:40 PM
polonca12000

Great pics! Murphy is very athletic!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 23rd 03, 12:37 PM
Rachel

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Thanks MaryL, I wish I were in the US, you seem to have a greater range of
quality products over there at cheaper prices, from food to furniture. I've
ordered something that I found a while ago but wasn't keen on the look, now
that the exchange is so good for me I have ordered it. Thanks for the links,
I will use those another time, maybe when I get a bigger place and have the
room for some huge thing.....and more cats!