Squirrels

Old May 28th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Squirrels

We have baby squirrels. (As well as a not so hot camera and shaky
hands)

http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/pickup/147673558EtlgSu

Old May 28th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Jofirey" wrote in message
We have baby squirrels. (As well as a not so hot camera and shaky
hands)

http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/pickup/147673558EtlgSu

Hours of entertainment! They are so agile and fast.

I have a backyard full of squirrels (with a treed lot behind my backyard)
but I've never seen any younguns. I also had an attic full of them at one
time. It took all summer to convince them to move out.

They delight in teasing the dogs and cats (I cat-proofed my backyard, the
cats cannot get out and can only go up the trees about 15 feet), so they
provide interest and frustration for my pets.

Thanks for the video,
Karla

Old May 28th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Karla" wrote in message

"Jofirey" wrote in message
We have baby squirrels. (As well as a not so hot camera and shaky
hands)

http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/pickup/147673558EtlgSu

Hours of entertainment! They are so agile and fast.

I have a backyard full of squirrels (with a treed lot behind my
backyard) but I've never seen any younguns. I also had an attic
full of them at one time. It took all summer to convince them to
move out.

They delight in teasing the dogs and cats (I cat-proofed my
backyard, the cats cannot get out and can only go up the trees about
15 feet), so they provide interest and frustration for my pets.

Thanks for the video,
Karla

They are the best and cheapest entertainment we have had in years.
Its the first squirrel colony in our part of town. (I guess they are
a colony now since the one little guy we had last fall and winter
appears to have attracted a mate and started a family)

Wish the babies weren't quite so bold. They really taunt Jake, but
they know he isn't coming up the tree after them. Molly will. Hope
they don't get their cats confused.

Also helps to entertain Charlie. He hasn't been well and has been
very depressed for months now. The squirrels get him involved.

Jo

Old May 29th 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jofirey wrote:
We have baby squirrels. (As well as a not so hot camera and shaky
hands)

http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/pickup/147673558EtlgSu

Cool! But was that Jake beneath the tree? Uh-oh!

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old May 29th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:
We have baby squirrels. (As well as a not so hot camera and shaky
hands)

http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/pickup/147673558EtlgSu

Cool! But was that Jake beneath the tree? Uh-oh!

That was Jake (aka Lard Ass). The squirrels know perfectly well he
will only climb two feet up the tree.

They seem to know the difference between Jake and Molly, too. They
will lure her up the tree until she is on branches that will barely
hold her, and then leap to a different tree and chatter at her.

They make for great cat entertainment.

Jo

Old May 29th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jofirey wrote:
That was Jake (aka Lard Ass). The squirrels know perfectly well he
will only climb two feet up the tree.

They seem to know the difference between Jake and Molly, too. They
will lure her up the tree until she is on branches that will barely
hold her, and then leap to a different tree and chatter at her.

They make for great cat entertainment.

They do. I remember one incident with Nikki on the island. A squirrel
had a nest of babies in a huge old pine tree at the edge of the woods.
Nikki, being the avid hunter she was, decided to go take a closer look
at the babies. She climbed up the tree, up to 5-6 metres (some 15-18
feet) and was coming close to the nest. She hadn't reckoned with the
mama squirrel, though.

This mama defended her babies fiercely. Nikki suddenly realised she was
very high up a tree, with an insanely chattering squirrel running in
circles around her. I was watching from our deck, and I could sort of
see the uh-oh face on Nikki. She started to very carefully ease herself
downwards, and the mama followed her all the way and ran in circles
around her until Nikki jumped down the final couple of metres.

Old May 29th 09, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

They do. I remember one incident with Nikki on the island. A squirrel
had a nest of babies in a huge old pine tree at the edge of the woods.
Nikki, being the avid hunter she was, decided to go take a closer look
at the babies. She climbed up the tree, up to 5-6 metres (some 15-18
feet) and was coming close to the nest. She hadn't reckoned with the
mama squirrel, though.

This mama defended her babies fiercely. Nikki suddenly realised she was
very high up a tree, with an insanely chattering squirrel running in
circles around her. I was watching from our deck, and I could sort of
see the uh-oh face on Nikki. She started to very carefully ease herself
downwards, and the mama followed her all the way and ran in circles
around her until Nikki jumped down the final couple of metres.

That's hilarious - I can just see the look, and hear her thinking,
"Ooooh-K, then, I think I'll be *going* now..."

One afternoon when Smudge was a kitten, I was at home playing on the
computer. She seemed fine and was running around entertaining herself.
I wasn't paying very close attention because my back was to her, but
I did notice at one point that she was very interested in looking out
the window. Eventually I got off the computer and was busy doing other
stuff.

At some point, I started to notice that I hadn't seen her in a while.
That was unusual because Smudge was very social and tended to hang around
any available human. So I started looking for her. Took me a long time
to find her - she was hiding under my bed. Way, deep in the back under
the bed. And she would not come out, no matter how much I called her.
That was also unusual. I started getting worried.

Eventually, I got her to come out, but she acted really strange - jumpy
and easily spooked. This went on for hours. I realized she wasn't actually
sick or hurt, just totally freaked out. But *why*?

I never did find out, but my theory was that when she was looking out the
window, she saw a squirrel on a branch of the tree right outside. The tree
was very close to the window, and I'm guessing that the squirrel came
right up close to Smudge, and then let out a barrage of that squawking
sound that I think sounds like a grumpy bird. (You know the sound I mean?)
It's an aggressive sound, and maybe poor baby Smudge wasn't expecting it!

--
Joyce ^..^