Kind of sad

Old May 15th 13, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Kind of sad

On 5/13/2013 6:36 PM, Joy wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

And if there's anyone who's willing to worry about it, it's me.

Try not to. Even if you or your cats were bitten by a bat (and how
likely is
that?) the likelihood of it having rabies is very small.

I know. I just have a genetic disposition to worrying.

No, you haven't.

You don't know my dad! He has the same ultra-sensitive temperament I do.
I'm pretty sure something like temperament is biological.

More likely "learnt behaviour" If your parents are anxious they teach
their children that without even knowing they are doing it.

You can work
with what you've got, and believe me, I have. But I'll always have a
tendency toward anxiety. Only reason I'm not beset with panic attacks
is "better living through chemistry", and I mean the prescription kind.

I did once need one of those, but only temporarily. It got me through my
mother's sudden death. I could of course have carried on with it for ever
but I asked myself why I couldn't brave up and decided I could.
I was a real mess at the time though so I will never say don't use
chemicals but they are not a permanent solution.

One size does not fit all. One solution is not right for everybody. Panic
attacks and anxiety, like depression, can vary greatly from person to
person. The intensity and frequency of the attacks can vary. Often there
is a (body) chemical cause, which can only be controlled through medication.

Consider yourself fortunate that you can do without the medication. You
can't possibly know what others are going through.

Joy

I've tried to get off of Paxil but when I've been off of them for a
little bit of time, I get the worst crying jags. I can cry at anything.
I've decided I need to stay on them probably forever.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old May 15th 13, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...
Consider yourself fortunate that you can do without the medication. You
can't possibly know what others are going through.

Joy

I've tried to get off of Paxil but when I've been off of them for a little
bit of time, I get the worst crying jags. I can cry at anything. I've
decided I need to stay on them probably forever.

I regret in some ways coming off anti-depressants and only did so as one of
my brothers - when he phoned me - would always say "are you off those
tablets yet?"
I still have some symptoms left, like poor sleep and lack of motivation so
don't anyone think I don't know what clinical depression is like. It was
the worst illness I ever had including cancer.
Simon was once a high earning IT manager until he got depression himself.
After that he decided to change career and help others to recover.
We often talk about how ill I was in 03, my house was subsiding, my mother
had just died suddenly and I was being bullied by a manager and it was all
too much. I sunk.

He says "when I saw you in your workplace and understood your situation, I
just knew I'd have to help and see you again."
I was weeping like mad and could not sit still.

He referred the issue of bullying to the Occupational Health doctors and it
was proved.

Old May 15th 13, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Your problem was temporary - you're a basically healthy person,
emotionally,
who went through a couple of traumatic events at the same time, so you
needed
some help. I've had anxiety and depression since I was a child. We have
different problems here, which calls for different treatments. It has
nothing
to do with being brave.

I agree it's not about being brave as such, but it is about whether you
accept your bad life experiences have stopped you and you then get afraid.
My(ex) husband once attacked me with a chain saw because he came home from
the pub and he'd had the same meal last week.
He started up the chain saw and smashed the phone so I couldn't call for
help and I fled to a neighbour, which was embarrassing but it probably saved
my life.
He got arrested.

anyway, Boyfie and myself are very happy on our own.

Old May 15th 13, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

I've had anxiety and depression since I was a child. We have
different problems here, which calls for different treatments. It has
nothing to do with being brave.

I agree it's not about being brave as such, but it is about whether you
accept your bad life experiences have stopped you and you then get afraid.

That is true - I did have bad experiences especially in childhood, which
have definitely affected me. I think personality is a combination of biology
and life experience. It's hard to tell which is which sometimes.

But I think biological temperament matters. My sister grew up in the same
household and took the same abuse I did, but she is not like me. She's just
a lot less sensitive than I am and doesn't react to every little thing. I'm
not saying she wasn't hurt by it, she just had different ways of dealing
with it. She's tougher than I am. (My mom also had a less sensitive
temperament, so that's probably where she got it.)

I used to be so jealous of that, and I hated myself for being such a
wuss and a crybaby. But it's not my fault I got the kind of nervous system
I got. Luck of the genetic draw.

My(ex) husband once attacked me with a chain saw because he came home from
the pub and he'd had the same meal last week.
He started up the chain saw and smashed the phone so I couldn't call for
help and I fled to a neighbour, which was embarrassing but it probably saved
my life.

Good lord! I didn't know about that. I'm glad you put a higher value on
your life than on saving face - and that your neighbors happened to be home
when you needed them!

He got arrested.

So glad to hear that. Hope he also got lots of prison time.

anyway, Boyfie and myself are very happy on our own.

I'll bet!

--
Joyce

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis
Old May 15th 13, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Yes, if I choose to let him out, I have to accept that he might kill

something I'd prefer that he didn't.
Normally, he is too lazy now unless something falls into his mouth so I
guess the bat and collared dove got the Darwin award, they both must
have
been really stupid.
They both fly and he doesn't..

Tweed

Perhaps Boyfie *can* fly and you just don't know it.

Jill

I suspect he comes upon them during rat patrol at dusk.
He likes to catch small things which won't bite him too much like mice and
baby rats.
If a rat gets big, he prefers to get the terriers in to do it, however if we
do, he has to make sure he's inside otherwise he'll be joining them at the
RB.
when the terriers have an appointment here for rats, Boyfie is not allowed
out.
the terrier man says "if you have a cat keep it inside otherwise it will be
an ex-cat." So I keep him in, even if he wants to go out.

Old May 16th 13, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
U-xps\\bud

On 2013-05-11, Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

You're lucky that you can enjoy a bat encounter, even if it was dead. And
not have to worry that Boyfie might have picked up rabies. I like bats and
I'm not afraid of them per se, but in the back of my mind I wonder if my
cats, or I, for that matter, would be in danger from one.

Yes, we are very lucky not to have rabies in the UK due to our previously
very stringent and some would say draconian quarantine laws. Now there is a
vaccine.

Rabies can't be quarantined out of existence in North America because it
exists in wild animal populations. Louis Pasteur famously treated a boy
with rabies vaccine in the 1880s.

Bud
Old May 16th 13, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
U-xps\\bud

On 2013-05-09, jmcquown wrote:

Some people in the US put up bat houses to attract them. They're very
beneficial creatures. John and I went to an outdoor concert one night a
few years ago. He looked up and said, "Are those bats?" Yes. They
were swooping down catching mosquitoes.

I remember seeing bats swoop down to drink from my Aunt Ruth's swimming
pool on the fly.

Bud
Old May 17th 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:12:07 PM UTC-6, Cheryl wrote:

It won't be long before insects are in full force. 17 year cicadas.

Ick. I had to ask about this because we had a brood of them in 2004.

My brother said they were brood x or something and this is a different

one. So why in the world are they call 17 year cicadas? I don't care

what brood they are, they are pests.

Cheryl,

The ones in 2004 were the 20 year cicadas. Apparently larger due to longer hibernation/incubation.

Personally, I don't know the difference, but I *love* to hear them.
Old May 18th 13, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...
On 2013-05-09, jmcquown wrote:

Some people in the US put up bat houses to attract them. They're very
beneficial creatures. John and I went to an outdoor concert one night a
few years ago. He looked up and said, "Are those bats?" Yes. They
were swooping down catching mosquitoes.

I remember seeing bats swoop down to drink from my Aunt Ruth's swimming
pool on the fly.

Bud

I feel very upset about the bat that Boyfie caught, but to be honest, he/she
can fly and Boyfie can't which suggests that either the bat was ill, or
should have been more careful.
Maybe it swooped down in front of him too low, he is still up to launching
himself off the ground after a birdie but usually he misses now (thankfully)
He will be 11 this year and I've decided to give him a birthday. It will be
June 1st.
It will be near enough as he was obviously a summer kitten getting lost by
hormones the next March.
Poor lad was well lost and he found how to sleep in my conservatory
overnight and disappear the second I opened the back door.
"Pfff," he says, "at my old life even if I did have a posh collar. I now
have my own bedroom and duvet and can hunt a bit if I want to"

Actually, he does have his own posh collar now and he also has a microchip
and he also met the vet for the snip. I thought the snip would be worse for
him than it
was. He licked his ex-testicles for a few hours and after that he was out
again on rat patrol and not wandering about looking for the girls which got
him lost in the first place.

If only his previous owners had got him neutered and microchipped they would
still have him. Bad luck, I've done it and he is mine, all mine!

I often wonder if they miss him still but it is all their own fault.
They should have neutered him. and then he would not have wandered.

Old May 18th 13, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...
On 2013-05-11, Christina Websell
wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

You're lucky that you can enjoy a bat encounter, even if it was dead.
And
not have to worry that Boyfie might have picked up rabies. I like bats
and
I'm not afraid of them per se, but in the back of my mind I wonder if my
cats, or I, for that matter, would be in danger from one.

Yes, we are very lucky not to have rabies in the UK due to our previously
very stringent and some would say draconian quarantine laws. Now there
is a
vaccine.

Rabies can't be quarantined out of existence in North America because it
exists in wild animal populations. Louis Pasteur famously treated a boy
with rabies vaccine in the 1880s.

Bud

we have successfully prevented rabies coming here in the past by six months
quarantine for cats and dogs. Let's hope the rabies vaccine works otherwise
we will be in real trouble.

So kind wafflycat Cat anecdotes 9 March 4th 07 03:48 PM
There might be a new kind of cat toy around here Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 5 September 11th 05 02:57 PM
Such a kind cat wafflycat Cat anecdotes 7 June 1st 05 10:03 PM
What kind of cat to get? Camilla Cracchiolo Cat health & behaviour 207 August 31st 04 06:59 AM
OT kind of bunny_baby Cat anecdotes 4 August 22nd 03 10:49 AM