Disaster! I am SO allergic to Scooter!

Old January 11th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man

Default Disaster! I am SO allergic to Scooter!

On Jan 4, 2:26*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"dgk" wrote in message

Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
very bad allergy days.

Scooter is just about the sweetest cat I've ever known. He loves being
handled and rolls over for belly rubs constantly. Just a great cat.
But this is a huge problem.

I took him to the vet on Saturday because he's been making very weird
noises and seems to be trying to cough up a hairball. Plus his farts
could kill. Probably nothing but I wanted to check. The vet says that
he's fine and gave him a deworming plus a steroid and antibiotic just
in case he has some minor problem. He says that several stool samples
could be negative for parasites but he could still have worms so it's
best to just give the deworming gunk.

But I couldn't stand being near him. My eyes tear, my nose runs, and
everything itches. I have a headache. I bought some loratadine
(Claritin) and will give that a chance to work but it did nothing over
the weekend. I ended up taking a lot of benadryl which helps but makes
me sleepy. I couldn't sleep last night, partly because I was feeling
so crappy but also because I'm agonizing about having to put Scooter
out of the house. The Significant Other has no reaction at all.

He was sleeping at the foot of the bed around 1am and I picked him up
and put him in the Cat Introduction Room. Almost immediately I felt
better and slept the rest of the night. It might have been more
benadryl kicking in but it sure seems that when he comes near I
immediately have symptoms.

I'm also worried because it seems that Espy is also allergic to him.
He has been sneezing a bit and acting like his sense of smell is a bit
impaired (failing to locate a Temptation for instance). Can a cat be
allergic to another cat?

When I left this morning he wanted to go outside so I let him go but
no one will be home until around 9 PM to let him back in. It's 20F or
so outside but Pretty Girl was in my backyard this morning so I know
they can deal with it. Scooter does still have his heated box by the
front door.

Still, I'd like to keep him in as much as possible. Well, that's the
story. Does anyone have advice on how to limit allergies? I'm
certainly considering getting a Hepa system but the house is rarely
very clean. Still, having that run all day in the bedroom and maybe
one in the living room would likely help.

My vet said to try wetting a cloth with fabric softener and rubbing
that on him (wet, not a bath). He's heard that this is pretty
effective in limiting allergic reactions. I tried it with a dryer
sheet instead but while Scooter enjoyed it, I think I'll just do the
towel with the liquid stuff tonight.

I'm also looking into getting him a home with someone else if I really
have serious problems with this. He's such a good cat that he deserves
a home.

I don't know, dude, you just seem to have one emergency after another. I am
allergic to cats, loratidine covers it for the most part. I am not totally
comfortable all the time, but it is a trade-off.- Hide quoted text -

Kewl.....!!! Does your nose get big and red? I used to think you
people were just attention-seekers. Then one day I saw my sister-in-
law swell up like a rotten cantaloupe because she had to go into a
house with small dogs running about! I swear, you couldn't even see
her eyes. Just slits with mucus running down into what used to be her
mouth! LOL....!!! Now I know you guys are on the level.

Isn’t there any way you can keep an attack from coming on? Like trying
just a little harder in the willpower department?

The Nice Mean Man
Old January 12th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alison[_4_]

"dgk" wrote in message
Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
very bad allergy days.

Sorry to hear this. I am allergic to Kim my cat. I use allergy wipes from
the pet store on her. I take Fexofenadine Hydrochloride tablets on
prescription from the doctor (UK) and I have eyedrops and also also
Hydrocortisone cream for my skin.
alison

Old January 13th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:20:27 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
very bad allergy days.

Sorry to hear this. I am allergic to Kim my cat. I use allergy wipes from
the pet store on her. I take Fexofenadine Hydrochloride tablets on
prescription from the doctor (UK) and I have eyedrops and also also
Hydrocortisone cream for my skin.
alison

Thanks - it turns out that I mostly had a bad head cold that hit at
the same time. I actually do seem to be somewhat allergic to him but
it isn't bad enough to really worry about. If I have him in my lap and
I'm petting him my eyes do get a bit irritated and I feel a bit
stuffy, but it isn't enough to worry me. I think it was intensified by
the cold.

But the episode gave me greater sympathy for allergy sufferers who
keep cats anyway. And I'm seriously considering getting a good HEPA
filter. Just seeing all the stuff swirlling around in the air when the
sun hits it is pretty convincing. Do I really want all that stuff
coming into my body? I have a regular air cleaner but clearly it could
use some assistance.
Old January 13th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote
it turns out that I mostly had a bad head cold that hit at
the same time.

What is really odd is that the same kind of thing hit me at the same time
you mentioned it hitting you.

I actually do seem to be somewhat allergic to him but
it isn't bad enough to really worry about. If I have him in my lap and
I'm petting him my eyes do get a bit irritated and I feel a bit
stuffy, but it isn't enough to worry me.

This is exactly how my cat allergies are. It helps a lot to wash your face
and hands, even just splash cold water on your face, rinsing your eyes, too.
I do it twice. If it gets so bad my eyes feel grainy, a shower always helps,
I guess because I get the dander or whatever it is in my hair. (My kitten
plays with and chews on my hair .... )

But the episode gave me greater sympathy for allergy sufferers who
keep cats anyway. And I'm seriously considering getting a good HEPA
filter. Just seeing all the stuff swirlling around in the air when the
sun hits it is pretty convincing. Do I really want all that stuff
coming into my body? I have a regular air cleaner but clearly it could
use some assistance.

I love Hepas. I have a giant one in my bedroom. Not only are they great for
allergies, the white noise some generate helps me sleep.