Does Your Vet...

Old April 8th 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Does Your Vet...

On Apr 8, 3:23*pm, "Joy" wrote:

The bottom line is, we both (and nearly all of us cat slaves, at one time or
another) made what seemed like the right decision at the time. *We did what
we both would be best for our beloved cat.

Thanks Joy

I keep telling myself why should I consider it at all? I did what I
thought was best at the time and it's not like worrying about it can
change things is it? And still I do

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 9th 12, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 3:23 pm, "Joy" wrote:

The bottom line is, we both (and nearly all of us cat slaves, at one time
or
another) made what seemed like the right decision at the time. We did what
we both would be best for our beloved cat.

Thanks Joy

I keep telling myself why should I consider it at all? I did what I
thought was best at the time and it's not like worrying about it can
change things is it? And still I do

Lesley

***

Yes, I know what you mean. I do find that the times I think like that get
farther apart as time goes by. It's too bad we can't just say "That's in
the past. I can't change it now." We can say it, but it would be nice if
we could feel it, and just move on.

Joy

Old April 9th 12, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

I had a very different vet experience years ago, when my cats were
indoor-outdoor. The girl next-door, who was the one who fed my cats when I
was away, knocked on my door and asked, "Is Herbie black and white?" She
knew perfectly well that he was, so I knew something was up. Then she
explained that a black and white cat had been hit by a car around the corner
from me. I walked around, and the cat had crawled up into the underside of
a parked car. Some neighbors were standing around, and one of them crawled
under and got the cat when I said he was mine. The mother of the girl who
had knocked on my door drove me to the vet so I could hold Herbie in my
arms.

I guess my regular vet wasn't open, because we went to her vet. He
immediately examined the cat, took x-rays and said he had a broken jaw. I
had called my son to come pick me up, so the neighbor could leave. After
the vet gave the cat something for pain, he put him in a cage in the back
room. I was allowed to go back and pet the cat and talk to him while I
waited for my son.

When my son arrived, he was directed into the room where I was. He looked
and said, "Are you sure that's Herbie? The markings don't look right."
When we got home, Herbie was lying on the couch.

I called the vet and said that I'd be willing to pay for the care of the cat
anyway, although I really couldn't take him. He said they'd find a home for
the cat, and there would be no charge!

Wow! They don't hardly make 'em like that anymore!

--
Joyce

Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating -- Sarah McLaughlin
Old April 9th 12, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 10:40:27 -0700, Phoenix
wrote:
Takayuki wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:32:28 -0700, Phoenix
wrote:
We miss Louie a lot. He was one of our BEST cats.

That's heartbreaking.

Believe me, Tak, Louie's last surgery WAS heartbreaking.
He had been hiding and off his food for a day or so, and
John took him in. They palpated a mass, recommended an
exploratory. John, as usual, put him in the induction
chamber & petted him, then went to wait. As soon as they
had poor Louie open, it was clear he had an inoperable
cancer. John had to make the decision, all by himself,
to not let Louie wake up, and thus, not to be able to
say good-bye.

The entire household was devastated. He was 16, but
seemed to be in good health, up until the very last.

I think it was a kindness to not let him wake up, even if it was hard on
his people.

When Betty was on radiation, it meant that for a brief while she was put
under on an almost weekly basis. Each time, she woke up from her strange
nap to find herself going back home for more days of love and cuddles.
Until one day, she didn't. So I know that whereever she wakes up, she'll
always be full of love and forgiveness.
Old April 9th 12, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 30/03/2012 11:36 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Let you in the exam room with your cat? Persia's vet in Tennessee did.

The only exception was when she was microchipped. The vet took her in
the back, ostensibly to weigh her. When he came back he said the deed
was done, she's chipped. He didn't want me to watch because he said the
size of the needle freaks some pet-parents out. (It's about the size of
the end of a ball-point pen.)

Otherwise, I was in the room, able to comfort her while she was being
poked and prodded.

Her vet in South Carolina makes you sit in the waiting room while they
do whatever it is they're doing. I don't like that. I want to be with my
baby to reassure her. Don't get me wrong, I like this vet very much.
She's saavy and she diagnosed the hyperthyroidism pretty quickly and
immediately went into action. When it turned out Persia was allergic to
Tapazole (Methimazole) she found the clinic for me for radioactive
isotope therapy and arranged everything. So yes, I like her. But for
routine exams I'd really like to be in the room with Persia.

I buy her R/x food from a different vet, closer to me. I've noticed all
the pet-parents there are sitting in the waiting room, too.

Does your vet let you come into the exam room with your cat(s)?

Wouldn't have even considered there was any other way until you just
mentioned it. I've always just walked into the exam room with the
patient each time, in much the same way I always come into the exam room
with The Yowlet when he's there to see the hoomin TED. It hadn't ever
occured to me to do otherwise, and vet has ever raised an eyebrow or
tutt-tutted. In fact, I think the words of the current TED has always
been "Come on through."

If they asked me to leave the room, my first reaction would be "Why?".

Naturally, I've never been present for *surgery*, but for the initial
exam, temperature reading & blood draw, *always*.

Yowie
Old April 9th 12, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 2/04/2012 11:25 AM, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

"Magic Mood wrote in message
. Even on the "final exam" (and they've never charged us for that
one).

We do have to pay for that, but unlike a normal consultation where we have
to pay immediately, we are allowed to rush out to our cars weeping our
hearts out and have to pay later.
Two weeks is allowed, otherwise you'll be chased for the money.

The place I took Smudge to had me pay *beforehand* - that way I could
run weeping out to my car without worrying about payment. And then I
wouldn't get a very unpleasant bill in the mail a couple of weeks later,
reminding me of the whole nightmare.

Ours does that too. They're good peeps. Didn't rush us out of the exam
room once the deed was done either. Just let us leave in our own time.
And were very good with the Yowlet when, at the last minute, he decided
he didn't want to be in the room as Fluffy passed, but let him back in
once everything was over (and I was trying *very* hard not to be
hysterical).

Competent vet care should be available from anybody who passed their
veterinary degree. Knowing how to treat the hoomins when they are having
to make emotionally fraught decisons on behalf of their loved ones,
IMHO, the difference between a *competent* vet and a *good* one.

Yowie

Old April 9th 12, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 8/04/2012 2:32 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Apr 6, 2:59 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

----------

Are they massive rip-off merchants? You needed a vet, and they provided
that service.
My vets are expensive because they are there 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
and have scanners and all sort of expensive equipment

This vet is only 9-5 and half a day Saturdays- if they had all the
equipment your vet has then I might have done things differently as
it was they were just stabilising her so I could take her to an
emergency hospital several miles away if scanners etc had been on site
she might have stood a better chance. No vets around here have 24
hour 365 service they all use the emegency hospital

And yes I think over £300 for a perfunctory examination, a drip, a
shot of antibiotic, blood test,, euthanasia and non-individual
cremation (and what that vet said to me when she was trying to hard
sell individual cremation has given me nightmares ever since) is a bit
much but it's not about the money- although they seemed to think so I
felt a lot like a bloke in a Victorian novel having to establish his
financial credentials with his intendeds father. I am dealing with a
cat getting seriously sick really suddenly and having most of my
discussion with the vets being me explaining how much of an overdraft
I have, how much I have on my credit cards etc- I got the impression
if the sums were not adequate we would have been shown the
door.....although oddly when the conversation turned to sending her
other the Bridge after her blood test came back ("She shouldn't look
as healthy as she does" as the vet put it) it helped me decide- if
that vet was urging me to go down that path rather than persuading me
to spend more then I knew her chances were far far from good 'cos up
until that point she'd been asking if I could cover £800 to start
probably considerably more for treatment

Ours is a 8am-6pm weekdays, 8am-12noon Saturdays clinic, here a
consultation is $80. Between the hours of 6pm-11pm on weekdays and
12noon-11pm Saturdays and 8am-11pm Sundays, it costs $120 to get the vet
in to the clinic on top of the consultation and outside those hours, it
costs $300. When Fluffy had her ulcer and was not acting right, I got
her down to the clinic at 9pm. As the vet was already there dealing with
a road accident, he was very kind and decided to split the after-hours
fee between us and the owners of the road accident victim. I probably
could have got persnickity and say "but you were already there" but had
it not been for that poor other animal, I would have been up for the
$120 anyway, so thought it a Good Deal rather than a rip-off.

Yowie
Old April 9th 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

I've now been told of a vet not charging for euthansia in the UK- a
friend of mine took a cat in who needed surgery and when the vet made
the incision he found the cat had cancer so much so he advised the
slave it would be kinder to let the cat go- when the slave went to
settle the bill he was charged for the surgery but not the
euthanasia......

Beleive it or not this was at the practice I took Dunzi to!

Old April 9th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 9, 12:03*pm, "MaryL" wrote:
vet has never charged me for euthanasia. *It is not something I
expect,

Seems like it's not standard to charge in the US but is in the UK

Old April 9th 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 12:03 pm, "MaryL" wrote:
vet has never charged me for euthanasia. It is not something I
expect,

Seems like it's not standard to charge in the US but is in the UK

Lesley

***

I think it depends on the original vet. All those I've encountered have
charged.

Joy