It gets worse (Still OT)

Old December 29th 12, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default HOORAY! (Still OT)

On 12/29/2012 8:52 AM, Lesley wrote:
Dave got a call from his bank on Thursday saying could be take some ID to his branch and they'd sort out a new debit card and everything had been refunded to him including the overdraft.

The woman he saw yesterday said it should have never taken as long as it did to sort out. Dave said they seemed to think as he'd given it to me for safe keeping it was dodgy and she said that was completely stupid as she had her husbands card on her that very second. Then she showed Dave the screen so he could see everything had been put back into the account and apologised that due to the bank holiday it would take a little more than 2 working days to get his new debit card to him and also apologised for the time it had taken to sort this out.

So that's that sorted. Our new rent payment card came this morning. Still waiting for the water people to contact me as it's not been paid yet when they do I can phone them and ask for a new card and pay this months on my debit card. Also no sign yet of a replacement loyalty card for the Co-Op.

But other than those everything is back to normal apart from the purse not being returned with my mums photo and my special key ring

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I'm so glad someone at Dave's bank was sensible and able to help! It's
a shame about the photo of your mum and the keyring

IMHO, it would behoove employees of *any* bank to remember, there are a
lot of banks! I can easily change banks. It might not be quite that
easy for them to find another job.

Jill
Old December 30th 12, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default It gets worse (Still OT)

On 28/12/2012 1:40 AM, Jane wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2012 3:59:11 PM UTC-5, Yowie wrote:

I have toyed with the idea of getting another less paranoid credit card
just for internet purchases, and reached the conclusion that it would
just mean I got further in debt. Its taken nearly 8 years to reduce my
credit card debt down to a level that doesn't keep me awake at night
(although I'd be more comfortable if it was halved again) and I don't
need to add to it.

Yowie

Here's an idea that I got from my last bank, and have carried through to my new bank.
For starters, I don't have ANY credit cards right now. I'm getting over a bankruptcy, so everything is paid for (except my car).

The bank gave me a 2nd checking account for free. This is the account that I use ONLY for Internet payments of any kind. It only has the money that *I* put into it, and that's it. No direct deposit, nothing. That all goes into my main checking account.
So, if anyone cracks this account number, all they'll ever get is the $100 that I keep in there. On the down side, you have to plan your purchases and make sure the money is in that account first. But since I access this bank account online, it's easy to move money around there.

It's been working very well for me for the past few years.

I've got something similar for things that must be paid for online. I
have to put money into it before I can purchase anything - its a two
step process that takes two days for cash to land in there for use. And
usually after 2 days has passed, my initial reaction of "oooh, shiny, I
wantsses it!!!" has usually passed and I don't purchase something I
don't need. But for Christmas shopping, it was ideal.

Yowie

Old December 30th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
Dave got a call from his bank on Thursday saying could be take some ID to
his branch and they'd sort out a new debit card and everything had been
refunded to him including the overdraft.

The woman he saw yesterday said it should have never taken as long as it did
to sort out. Dave said they seemed to think as he'd given it to me for safe
keeping it was dodgy and she said that was completely stupid as she had her
husbands card on her that very second. Then she showed Dave the screen so he
could see everything had been put back into the account and apologised that
due to the bank holiday it would take a little more than 2 working days to
get his new debit card to him and also apologised for the time it had taken
to sort this out.

___________
I thought they would come good.
I've used Barclays since I was 18 and only had one minor problem as reported
upthread and even then they thought they were protecting me from a lost
cheque book.
My only fault with them is that I can't phone my local bank any more, I get
a call centre in India.

Old December 31st 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

NIN are fabulous, IMO. You will never get any spam and it costs so little.
The downside is they do not support any binary groups. I can live with
that.
It costs 10 euros a year. I don't do euros so they take my equivalent in
GB pounds and are quite happy to take any currency to give a great service.

That's good to know about, in case I ever want to switch providers. For the
time being, though, eternal-september seems to be working OK for me.

--
Joyce

What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry
Old December 31st 12, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

My only fault with them is that I can't phone my local bank any more, I get
a call centre in India

That was most of the problem even when Dave went to the branch they were kept on hold for 30 minutes trying to call the call centre in India, Dave said he thought they'd have a direct line and the answer was "We do I'm on it"

Hid new debit card arrived this morning- now we can pay some rent

Old December 31st 12, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Monday, December 31, 2012 8:41:47 PM UTC, Judith Latham wrote:
At least you can sort yourselves out now, ready for the New Year. I hope you have a good one.

Same to you

Old January 1st 13, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

NIN are fabulous, IMO. You will never get any spam and it costs so
little.
The downside is they do not support any binary groups. I can live with
that.
It costs 10 euros a year. I don't do euros so they take my equivalent
in
GB pounds and are quite happy to take any currency to give a great
service.

That's good to know about, in case I ever want to switch providers. For
the
time being, though, eternal-september seems to be working OK for me.

The problem can be that free servers are a home for spammers and you can
find yourself deleted.

Old January 1st 13, 11:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

NIN are fabulous, IMO. You will never get any spam and it costs so
little.
The downside is they do not support any binary groups. I can live with
that.
It costs 10 euros a year. I don't do euros so they take my equivalent
in
GB pounds and are quite happy to take any currency to give a great
service.

That's good to know about, in case I ever want to switch providers. For
the
time being, though, eternal-september seems to be working OK for me.

The problem can be that free servers are a home for spammers and you can
find yourself deleted.

There seems to be very little spam on usenet these days, fewer posts in
general, some days a.b.p.a only gets one or two posts.
--
Adrian
Old January 3rd 13, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message

My only fault with them is that I can't phone my local bank any more, I
get
a call centre in India

That was most of the problem even when Dave went to the branch they were
kept on hold for 30 minutes trying to call the call centre in India, Dave
said he thought they'd have a direct line and the answer was "We do I'm on
it"

Hid new debit card arrived this morning- now we can pay some rent

Lesley

I'll give you a little tip. Threaten Barclays about their Indian call
centre as a reason to change banks and they will give you your local branch
phone number. Worked for me anyway ;-)
You have to be firm with banks - they are using the money that you deposit
with them to invest for their profits and don't really want you to take your
account away.
I could switch to Llo as I have Boyfie's vets bill account there but it's
unlikely they would want me do so.
I found this approach very successful but tbh I've been with Barclays since
I was 18 and only had one problem which was probably a misunderstanding
about a cheque book that I couldn't find and they thought I'd lost it
elsewhere.
Other than that they operate my finances very well and I am very happy with
them.
Tweed

Old January 3rd 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

When I had my first computer running on Win 95 there was a button that said
"newgroups" on the toolbar and that's how I got into the wonderful world of
Usenet.
That button is not there AFAIK since then . No one will know it's there
now, it's not there on my XP machine so I wouldn't ever have known about
rpca.
Some might say that would have been a good idea after the gun discussion.

Tweed