Spider

Old March 2nd 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mack A. Damia

Default Spider

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 16:52:08 -0800 (PST), Rusty
wrote:

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:13:26 PM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 14:53:53 -0800 (PST), Rusty
wrote:

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 2:43:35 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
On 2/28/2015 11:52 AM, Rusty wrote:
The local market sells bison meat. I am tempted to try, but not sure how
to cook it.
Rabbit meat is also available, probably because of the large French Canadian
population in town.

Winnie

Rabbit is not very popular in the US but yes, I've actually cooked and
eaten it. When I still lived in west Tennessee one supermarket sold it
cut up and frozen, like packaged chicken. Come to think of it, it
pretty much tasted like chicken.

Jill

I agreed. Had rabbit once long time ago. it tasted like chicken.

There are also frogs legs in the market.
Again probably for the French Canadians.
I had frog legs once in a Chinese restaurant and
just love it. Have to figure out how to cook them. A cooking competition
on the Food channel tonight includes frog leg in an appetzer dish.

Don't think I could do frog. It was hard enough trying to eat
shark's fin soup in Hong Kong. Reminded me of the joke about a guy
who bets he can drink a mouthful of the contents of a spittoon.

I love shark fin soup.
The real ones ( not canned) can be quite pricey.
But now there are attempts to ban it in many cities.

I guess you don't do escargot either.
The first time I tasted escargot was in Paris.
I had escargot many times since then.
But none measure up to the ones I had in Paris.

I recall trying snails in England when I was very young, but I don't
remember much about them except they were slimy.

I have found that many exotic foods are flavored with something or
other - many times garlic, and that's what people are thinking is
delicious. Many of the better restaurants here in Mexico flavor fish
and seafood with garlic, and folks rave about the dishes. Cilantro is
another seasoning used to flavor foods and turn them into a
"specialities".

Old March 2nd 15, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/1/2015 7:15 PM, Joy wrote:
On 3/1/2015 3:59 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message
[...]

When I was a child, and spent my summers in New Jersey,
our neighbors skinned turtles and made Turtle soup.
No thanks, but I did keep one shell.
Then, when my daughters were small I cooked rabbit...once.
They caught on that it was "Bunny" like the two pet bunnies we had in the
back yard, so never again.

Sylvia

We didn't have pet rabbits, so we didn't have that problem. However,
the one time my mother served us rabbit, we found it very greasy and
unappetizing.

Joy

I browned the rabbit pieces (Pel-Freez was the brand, don't know why
that sticks in my mind) with chopped onion and garlic, deglazed the pan
with a light red wine, added chicken stock and herbs and stewed it.
Pretty tasty!

We never had rabbits as pets. My aunt (now 92) had a pet rabbit when
she was a kid. It lived inside the house and was litterbox trained!

Jill
Old March 2nd 15, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/1/2015 7:33 PM, Rusty wrote:
On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:59:13 PM UTC-5, Sylvia M wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message

[...]

I had turtle soup once in a restaurant in New Orleans.
Didn't leave me with either a good or bad impression.
Just think it was pretty exotic.

Winnie

Yep, I had turtle soup at a "branch" of Owen Brennan's restaurant when I
lived in Memphis. It was delicious but not something I'd attempt to
make at home. I don't think they use sea turtles, BTW.

Jill
Old March 2nd 15, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/1/2015 5:53 PM, Rusty wrote:
There are also frogs legs in the market.
Again probably for the French Canadians.
I had frog legs once in a Chinese restaurant and
just love it. Have to figure out how to cook them. A cooking competition
on the Food channel tonight includes frog leg in an appetzer dish.

Winnie

There's a restaurant just a few miles from my house that serves frog
legs. The restaurant is appropriately named The Foolish Frog. They're
just dredged in seasoned flour and fried. I've never tried them.

Jill
Old March 3rd 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

There's a restaurant just a few miles from my house that serves frog
legs. The restaurant is appropriately named The Foolish Frog. They're
just dredged in seasoned flour and fried. I've never tried them.

Most frog legs on the market are from India and produced in an
unsustainable way with extreme cruelty (ripping the legs off
the live frog).

When I was in Penang I saw a stall selling Frog Porridge as its
primary specialty. I'll try most things once, but not that.
(I did have tinned frog legs many years ago before I knew how
they were produced. They tasted fine).

Old March 4th 15, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:58:49 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
I browned the rabbit pieces (Pel-Freez was the brand, don't know why
that sticks in my mind) with chopped onion and garlic, deglazed the pan
with a light red wine, added chicken stock and herbs and stewed it.
Pretty tasty!

We never had rabbits as pets. My aunt (now 92) had a pet rabbit when
she was a kid. It lived inside the house and was litterbox trained!

Reminds me of Pat Davis's rabbits! (Not the stewed rabbit, but the house
rabbit.) They unbelievably coexist peacefully with all the cats that she
has.
Old March 4th 15, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

wrote:
I browned the rabbit pieces (Pel-Freez was the brand, don't know why
that sticks in my mind) with chopped onion and garlic, deglazed the pan
with a light red wine, added chicken stock and herbs and stewed it.
Pretty tasty!

We never had rabbits as pets. My aunt (now 92) had a pet rabbit when
she was a kid. It lived inside the house and was litterbox trained!

Reminds me of Pat Davis's rabbits! (Not the stewed rabbit, but the house
rabbit.) They unbelievably coexist peacefully with all the cats that she
has.

Our Rabbit had no problem with neither cat nor dog.
The first day we had him, and let him loose in the yard, he ran right up to
Mousie, our grey cat at the time.
That's all it took for her to back off and stay out of his way for the rest
of his life.
He co-existed with our dog, but I don't recall that they ever cuddled
together.
All three lived long lives.

Old March 4th 15, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/3/2015 5:37 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
There's a restaurant just a few miles from my house that serves frog
legs. The restaurant is appropriately named The Foolish Frog. They're
just dredged in seasoned flour and fried. I've never tried them.

Most frog legs on the market are from India and produced in an
unsustainable way with extreme cruelty (ripping the legs off
the live frog).

That's horrific! I'm not sure but this restaurant tries to use locally
sourced food (South Carolina) so I don't think they're getting frog legs
from India. I could be wrong.

When I was in Penang I saw a stall selling Frog Porridge as its
primary specialty. I'll try most things once, but not that.
(I did have tinned frog legs many years ago before I knew how
they were produced. They tasted fine).

I don't remember much about Penang. We went there on vacation when Dad
was stationed in Bangkok. That was 45 years ago.

Jill
Old March 4th 15, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

coffee. She was saying that one of her dogs had had it's tail docked. I

said I thought it was now illegal in the uk and she said not if the dog
was a working dog and fetched the birds that had been shot on an organised
shoot. She said that the tails of such dogs often got caught in the
undergrowth so if they were going to be working in this way, then they had
their tails docked by a vet.

I am not against tail docking for working dogs. Spaniels especially as they
wag so much when they are working and their tails get damaged. I am not in
favour of docking for fashion.
Lenny the poodle had his tail docked for fashion 10 years ago. He doesn't
mind a jot. he has a good perfect tail

Old March 10th 15, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Mack A. Damia
wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 01:44:24 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Not seen a Bison yet but apparently there are some he I ate a
bisonburger. Not impressed, unlikely to catch on.

I ate a bison burger years ago. Actually, they called it "beefalo"
- seems it was a cross between some sort of bison or buffalo and
beef. I wasn't impressed, either.

Jill

I love venison though.

I like venison, too, although I haven't had any for many years. I
also enjoyed elk steaks with a friend whose boyfriend hunted but
that was many years ago.

Jill

never ate elk. We dont get them here. Is it like venison? I love
venison. and before anyone says it is not baby Bambi. I do not eat baby
animals. I dont do veal

Do you think that your cat has a soul? Do you think that all animals
have one? I think they do, so I am asking myself why the hell am I
eating meat?

I'm with you on this. I wouldn't eat meat if I lived alone but DH and
myself compromise, half our meals have no meat, we eat a lot of fish and
poultry and some red meat. I'm too lazy to prepare two different meals.

Judith

unless we give up milk, we have to eat the males that are produced. Here
they get two years grazing in a meadow before we eat them.
Poultry and fish is still the same as eating cows and sheep and pigs.