Cat Sitting Again, Since Sat 27th

Old October 31st 12, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cat Sitting Again, Since Sat 27th

So I'm cat sitting Schwartzie and Fedders again. I can probably stretch the
food until she returns next Saturday night

But even thought Hurricane Sandy blew right past here without much of a
ripple, it has affected the temperatures. As it pushed up the coast it met
cold fronts from the north. What had been wonderful 80 degree temps with
about 60F at night have plunged. It was barely 60F today and it's supposed
to get down to the mid-30's tonight. Brrrrr! The thing is, she had turned
her heating/air system off when she left. That was fine the first few days.
But not tonight! After I made sure "the boys" were in and settled, I turned
on the heating system. I didn't set it very high, about 60 degrees. I know
if I didn't turn it on it would get very chilly in that house overnight.
Hope she doesn't mind.

BTW, she's somewhere in Puerto Rico for the week. I don't know what the
weather is there but I'm thinking balmy and tropical. (She mentioned
something about packing shorts, tops and swimsuits.) I hope she packed
something warm if it doesn't warm up by the time she gets back

Also thanks to "Sandy", it's been very windy here. So it feels a lot colder
than it is. She likes me to get the cats to go outside as much as possible.
Schwartzie doesn't usually ask to be let out. He's become rather complacent
about just hanging out in the house, on her bed or the couch. Yesterday
evening, around 5:00, he asked me to let him out. Fedders was already
outside. Schwartzie only stayed out an hour. LOL "It's windy! It's cold!"
Yes it is, big guy I stepped out and called for Fedders. He came
running. I gave them some scritches, they went to have "dinner" I'd
already scooped the litterbox again. Okay good, both were in for the night!

So, I'm wondering if, in addition to turning on the heat... if it keeps
colder and windy like this, should I keep them in the house? If I let them
out and they aren't comfortable, I may not know about it for several hours.
I check on them several times a day.

I have no real experience with cats that go outside other than these two
guy. In the past, if they were out and didn't come when I called (last call
is around an hour after sundown), Lynn had told me not to worry if I can't
get them in. Let them stay out. She said they have their little hidey
holes and comfortable spots. Okay, that's great. Except on those cat
sitting occasions the weather was fantastic. Not a sudden cold snap like
this with high winds. I don't know if I should let the cats out.

Jill
In the past when I've let them out I've had trouble getting them to come
back inside. By 9PM I give up. It's too dark to see without carrying a
lantern and if they hadn't come by then, too bad. But it wasn't cold then.

Old October 31st 12, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

BTW, she's somewhere in Puerto Rico for the week. I don't know what the
weather is there but I'm thinking balmy and tropical.

It's a tropical location, yeah. But Sandy passed right over Cuba on its
way north, and that storm is hundreds of miles wide, so it probably touched
Puerto Rico in some fashion.

I have no real experience with cats that go outside other than these two
guy. In the past, if they were out and didn't come when I called (last call
is around an hour after sundown), Lynn had told me not to worry if I can't
get them in. Let them stay out. She said they have their little hidey
holes and comfortable spots. Okay, that's great. Except on those cat
sitting occasions the weather was fantastic. Not a sudden cold snap like
this with high winds. I don't know if I should let the cats out.

Too bad they don't have a cat door. I'm sure they'll be OK anyway. It's
not like the storm is hitting your area, at least!

--
Joyce
Old October 31st 12, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message ...

jmcquown wrote:

I have no real experience with cats that go outside other than these two
guy. In the past, if they were out and didn't come when I called (last
call
is around an hour after sundown), Lynn had told me not to worry if I can't
get them in. Let them stay out. She said they have their little hidey
holes and comfortable spots. Okay, that's great. Except on those cat
sitting occasions the weather was fantastic. Not a sudden cold snap like
this with high winds. I don't know if I should let the cats out.

Too bad they don't have a cat door. I'm sure they'll be OK anyway. It's
not like the storm is hitting your area, at least!

--
Joyce

The problem with a cat door here is the raccoons. If they're able to,
they'll walk right into your house. LOL Sure, she could get one of those
cat doors activated by a chip, except her cats don't wear collars. If it's
cold I'll keep them inside. It won't kill them. I'm over there two or
three times a day anyway.

She left me a note telling me there were fresh grapes in the fridge, take
them. Sorry to say, I don't like grapes. They looked so pretty! Rather
than just throw them away, I took them home and scattered them on the patio.
That was last night. This morning, they are all gone. I'm sure the
raccoons ate them. There's no natural fruit growing on this island so they
were probably thrilled!

Jill

Old October 31st 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
So I'm cat sitting Schwartzie and Fedders again. I can probably stretch
the food until she returns next Saturday night

In the past when I've let them out I've had trouble getting them to come
back inside. By 9PM I give up. It's too dark to see without carrying a
lantern and if they hadn't come by then, too bad. But it wasn't cold then.

If they're indoor-outdoor cats, Jill, nature has probably provided them
with a winter-weight fur coat, by now. (And cats are pretty savvy about
finding shelter, if they're really uncomfortable.) Do they know where
you live? If you're not around to let them into their own home, you may
find they meowing at YOUR door.
Old October 31st 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

m...

jmcquown wrote:
So I'm cat sitting Schwartzie and Fedders again. I can probably stretch
the food until she returns next Saturday night

In the past when I've let them out I've had trouble getting them to come
back inside. By 9PM I give up. It's too dark to see without carrying a
lantern and if they hadn't come by then, too bad. But it wasn't cold
then.

If they're indoor-outdoor cats, Jill, nature has probably provided them
with a winter-weight fur coat, by now. (And cats are pretty savvy about
finding shelter, if they're really uncomfortable.) Do they know where
you live? If you're not around to let them into their own home, you may
find they meowing at YOUR door.

LOLOL They know better than to meow at *my* door. If one of them ventures
onto the patio Persia hisses and goes all Halloween cat on them

Jill