Female cat simulating spraying (ie: Happy Butt)

Old May 12th 04, 12:06 AM
Shawn

Default Female cat simulating spraying (ie: Happy Butt)

Hiya,

My calico and my black tomcat both go through the motions of spraying -
tail straight up, twitching near the base. They're all fixed. Although
Harley, the calico, did go into heat once before she was fixed.

I can understand this with my male, but a female cat doing this?

Any thoughts?

Also, am I correct in understanding that this behavior is an indication
of the cat being happy, hence the term "happy butt?"

-- Shawn

Old May 12th 04, 08:03 AM
Fat Freddy

Our spayed female Fluffy does it when we are fixing her food.
The neighbor's neutered male Rocky does it when he comes to visit us.
Our neutered male Smokey does it when he is spraying.
Our neutered male Kitty never does it.

Old June 5th 04, 11:36 AM
Moggycat

Shawn wrote in message ...
Hiya,

My calico and my black tomcat both go through the motions of spraying -
tail straight up, twitching near the base. They're all fixed. Although
Harley, the calico, did go into heat once before she was fixed.

I can understand this with my male, but a female cat doing this?

Any thoughts?

Female cats will also spray, but less often than males. I've watched
a young spayed female called Squeak spray boundaries. It surprises a
lot of people that the girls can (and will) spray.

Also, am I correct in understanding that this behavior is an indication
of the cat being happy, hence the term "happy butt?"

Or "tail dancing" or "feather dancing" (in fluffy cats the tail looks
like a quivering feather). Affy did this when I got home from work -
her fluffy tail quivered and her back legs danced - it looked as
though she was so happy she would burst. Cindy's version ends up with
her tail arched over her back so it almost touches her ears.

--
Sarah
http://members.aol.com/moggycat/moggycat.htm