Computer Help Please

Old June 6th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Computer Help Please

OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click on a
folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used to, the
computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right click and select
open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in my
circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the fix for
this myself.

So please, help anyone?

Jo

Old June 6th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click on a
folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used to, the
computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right click and select
open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in my
circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the fix for
this myself.

So please, help anyone?

Jo

Hi Jo -

Are you running XP or 2K? I know there are more folder controls in XP
than in 2000, and here at the office I'm only running 2000, but I'll
look at my XP machine when I get home and see if I can figure something
out.

The closest thing I can figure is, once you open My Documents, go to
Tools = Folder Options, and look under the General and View tabs. I'm
guessing that the control for that "search" action is being controlled
in there someplace, rather like in 2000, where one of the choices
allows you to launch folder windows in a separate process.

Just a thought that might point you in the direction of the complete
answer. Hope that helps somehow.

Purrs -

Chris, Tripper, Katie, and Hazard
Old June 7th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click on a
folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used to, the
computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right click and select
open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in my
circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the fix for
this myself.

So please, help anyone?

Let's start at the beginning. When was the last time you rebooted the
computer?

Meowmie Debby

Old June 7th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click on a
folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used to, the
computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right click and
select open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in my
circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the fix for
this myself.

So please, help anyone?

Jo

Another thing to consider even if it is 98 or XP (it is really more
dependent on the version of IE you use, really!). Whenever you use
Explorer, go up to the menu I believe options, sorry, I use linux! and make
sure your folder options are not set to "web". In which case it acts like
a browser. Also, be sure (open IE) that you don't have a google or yahoo
search you harddrive type of utility going. Both are upstanding citizens
in the often spyware infested world, but will go to doing "their thing" on
your hard drive and not just the web.
Old June 7th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"PixieDust413" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click on a
folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used to, the
computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right click and
select
open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in my
circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the fix for
this myself.

So please, help anyone?

Let's start at the beginning. When was the last time you rebooted the
computer?

Meowmie Debby

Reboot Almost every day,

System XP Home Edition

Its been doing this for about four months, was fine the prior couple of
years.

Suspect Grandsons or I hit some sort of inadvertent change.

Jo

Old June 7th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My computer does the exact same thing, Jo. Frustrating. I'm running XP
service pack 2. I think it started since the last update. Grrrr!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 7th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in
. com:

OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click
on a folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used
to, the computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right
click and select open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in
my circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the
fix for this myself.

So please, help anyone?

When you right click, does 'open' top the context menu? Left-clicking
generally defaults to the top item in the context menu. If it's 'open
with', there's no default. You can try resetting the defaults of all
folders, but that might be more irritating still, if you've got non-
default settings already in place.

Chak

--
You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
--Jeannette Rankin
Old June 7th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. com...
OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click on a
folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used to, the
computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right click and
select open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in my
circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the fix for
this myself.

So please, help anyone?

Jo

Are you using XP? If so, a possible "fix" (even though I don't know the
actual cause of the problem) is to use System Restore to go back to a point
in time when everything worked correctly.

MaryL

Old June 7th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Computer Help Please - THE FIX

Jo Firey wrote:
OK This is not a big deal but it is driving me crazy. When I click on a
folder in My Documents, instead of opening the folder as it used to, the
computer now opens a search of the folder. Yes I can right click and select
open, but this old dog isn't adjusting to new tricks.

Also mildly ticks me off as I used to be the go to computer person in my
circle, but that's now ancient history and I can't even find the fix for
this myself.

So please, help anyone?

Jo

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in
the registry if this problem occurs with folders:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

If this problem occurs with drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321186

Rich
(Koko's and Kady's dad)
Old June 7th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Rich C wrote:
Jo Firey wrote:
[...]

Rich C, you rock :-) That fixed it for me!