Bella Photos

Old December 26th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Bella Photos

"Allan Smith" wrote in message
cybercat,

Clavamox will do that. Most antibiotics wiil alter the intestinal flora.
Diet changes can be disruptive as well.

Get some active-culture yogurt, and see if she likes it (don't bother with
sweetened, as cats can't taste sweet, or most fruits). Most cats will eat
it off a spoon or fingertip, but you can mix a small amount in with her
food. Try for a teaspoon-full once or twice a day.

The active cultures in the yogurt will replace the intestinal microbes
killed-off by the antibiotic. You should notice a significant difference
within 48 hours.

She just has gas, not the runs. But you're right, my older cat Gracie got
her URI and needed a round of Clavamox and she did get the runs for a couple
of days.

Old December 27th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (12/26/2009 3:45 PM):

The vet asked for a fecal sample, and it came back negative. It isn't so
much smelly poops, she just passes truly evil gas. Clouds and clouds of it.

Meep did that as a kitten. Our vet at the time suggested we put her on
adult food, which did help a little. What really helped was switching
her food away from Science Diet. At the time she was eating dry.

Tried a can of SD just recently, and she almost immediately became
Smelly Cat again. Phewy!

So, if Bella is on any kind of Science Diet, it might be worth trying a
different brand. Or trying the adult version rather than kitten food.

She's adorable, btw

jmc
Old December 27th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

That's a fact! For every clear photo I know I have 10 blurry ones! You
might be about due for a kitten again, eh Cheryl? Let me enable you

You can't! I've been that route. Kittens are so fun but they are like
having a baby in the house. Scarlett and Rhett took so much time and care,
but they were 2 sickly ones instead of one.

Actually, I sent an email about this girl.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=15309582

Call me the crazy cat lady and get it over with, if I take in another.

Old December 27th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote
Actually, I sent an email about this girl.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=15309582

Her story is heart rending. I hope you get her.

Call me the crazy cat lady and get it over with, if I take in another.

The only thing holding me back is my husband. Hell, I aspire to be the crazy
cat lady.

Old December 27th 09, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

Kelly,

Most, but not all, cats become lactose-intolerant at about 6 months. You can
still feed them things like yogurt and cheese, because the microbes have
already consumed the milk proteins, and what you're really eating is the
bugs that ate the milk. They are good sources of protein for cats.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Allan Smith" wrote in message
cybercat,

And to you and yours.

What lovely color - I've not often seen such a rich brown. Perhaps she
has a bit of Burmese in her.

Old December 27th 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

cyber,

It isn't so much about the diarrhea, but about the gut-bugs. There are many
different organisms present in the intestine, and they live in an ecology,
that, when out of balance, can produce undesirable effects.

The primary 'sweeteners' among them are lactobacillus acidophilus,and
lactobacillus bulgaricus, both found in active yougurt cultures, along with
streptococcus thermophilius. Most "probiotic" products contain those, plus
bifidobacterium.

Generally, it is the gram-positive rod-shaped bacteria that will sometimes
be overcome by the other bugs or antibiotics, to foul effect. Fortunately,
they are easy to replace.

If you don't want to use yogurt, you can go to the drugstore and buy a
product called Lactinex without a prescription (though it must is
refrigerated, as it is live, but inactive). It is designed to rebalance the
ecology in the human intestine, and works well for cats. Mix a little in
some moist food at room temperature.

Allan

Old December 28th 09, 08:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote
Actually, I sent an email about this girl.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=15309582

Her story is heart rending. I hope you get her.

Call me the crazy cat lady and get it over with, if I take in another.

The only thing holding me back is my husband. Hell, I aspire to be the
crazy cat lady.

Do you have a purple hat?

Old December 28th 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Allan Smith" wrote in message
Kelly,

Most, but not all, cats become lactose-intolerant at about 6 months. You
can still feed them things like yogurt and cheese, because the microbes
have already consumed the milk proteins, and what you're really eating is
the bugs that ate the milk. They are good sources of protein for cats.

That's good to know. :-)

Tonight they feasted on fresh raw chicken livers and canned Friskies Mixed
Grill. They both look like they ate baseballs. :-D I also ordered bone
meal and more Missing Link for them. Although they like raw meat the
don't care much for raw chicken bones. The other day we picked up Pro-Pet
Skin and Coat for them. I ordered Capstar for them (fleas) for this
spring. What do you think of that product? Even indoor pets here get
fleas thanks to the constant passage of wild animals through everyone's
property.

Fleas don't like to live on animals, but usually live in the rugs and
bedding, and hop on your cats just to feed.....I have found that frequent
vacuuming and washing their blankets and bedding will keep the flea count
down to an acceptable level.

Old December 28th 09, 10:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

Kelly,

I should add that "cat milk" is available in most stores. It is low-fat milk
that has had lactamase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose, added. Mine
enjoy a couple of ounces of Whiska's Cat Milk as a treat a few times a week,
and it doesn't bother them at all. There are other brands available, but
mine have a clear preference for Whiska's.

Some people aere lactose-intolerant as well, and you can find
reduced-lactose or lactose-free millk for people who are. Usually, it does
not cause problems in cats.

Allan

Old December 28th 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Allan Smith

Kelly,

Liver, and also heart and kidney, are good treats for cats on an otherwise
balanced diet, but keep the balance. Too much organ meat doesn't give them
the nutrients they need from muscle tissue. Mine ooccasionally get all three
organ meats as treats. I get it at the supermarket, divide it into
meal-sized portions, and repackage and freeze it.

Fleas, the scourge of critters, including us. The flea life-cycle is
complex, enabling them to survive most short-term solutions, but
understanding it provides several opportunities to interrupt it. For indoor
cats, the most likely source of fleas is the owner bringing them in from the
outdoors on clothing.

The flea has four stages in its life-cycle, and it takes about two weeks to
a couple of months to happen, depending on temperature and humidity. In
summer, two to three weeeks is sufficient, but it may take a couple of
months in winter (that's how fleas survive winter). Capstar is a good
product, as far as it goes. Keep in mind that Capstar only kills the adult
fleas on the cat and is short-acting, and that isn't always good enough
unless you give it every few days for an extended period (that can get
expensive).

An excellent article on fleas is available on Wikipedia, and the life-cycle
is described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea#Li...le_and_habitat
and also at
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dise...reeoffleas.htm
A graphic is at
http://blog.ecosmart.com/wp-content/flea_lifecycle.gif

The Wiki article describes several non-toxic methods to control fleas
through the various stages of life-cycle.

I've found the key is to intercept the life-cycle on the pet to prevent
fleas from establishing themselves in the home. The section "For the home"
mentions the long-acting larvacide and adulticide method using the cat to
"mop-up" the larva and adults, and that's what I use (my cats are
indoor-outdoor). I've found Advantage to be the most effective, and have had
excellent results by applying it roughly every four to six weeks from late
spring through summer, once in the fall, and once in mid-winter. Exact
timings will vary depending on the climate where you live.

In the interest of using Advantage as little as possible, I use a flea-comb
once a week or so to check for flea-dirt or adult fleas, and the schedule is
modified by the results. If you hold the fur up to a light, or over a sheet
of white paper, spread it apart, and notice black specks in it, that's a cue
to treat, even if off-schedule.

In Australia, flea products are non-prescription, and are quite a bit less
expensive than here (about 40 to 50 percent less). I've used both of the
following suppliers. Products are mailed, and usually arrive within 7 to 10
calendar days. Both have Capstar as well, for much less than you'll find it
here.

http://www.vidalspets.com/epages/vid...ocate%20Cat%22

http://www.petshed.com/products/item3622.asp

The product listed in the first link is a new one, and quite complete. Sold
in Europe as Advocate, and here as Advantage Multi, it even gets ear mites,
heartworms and intestinal worms as well. I have always found Bayer
Phamaceuticals to be a very ethical and conservative company, and I trust
their products.

Allan