Store Brands?

Old February 20th 12, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Store Brands?

Normally during the week Persia eats prescription dry kibble. But she loves
her Sunday Fancy Feast Lately I've been sneaking in the store-brand
version of FF. It's about 5 cents less per can. Even less if it's on sale.
I read labels and I can't discern any difference. Persia doesn't seem to
mind. She still prances around yelling at me while I fill her bowl with
gooshy food. LOL She eats it up. Do you buy store brands as substitutes
for FF?

Jill

Old February 20th 12, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marv

I found more savings by just switching from Arm & Hammer litter to
cheaper Pet Pride, both for 'Multi-Cats.' Seems to clump just as well
and includes the "crystal deodorizers. I had tried a store brand a long
time ago without good results, but my current cats didn't seem to notice.

I also switched from cans of Friskies to the store brand (H.E.B.) for my
Sr. cat that had been more particular, but he eats just the same. Still
doesn't eat too much dry food (Cat Chow), while the younger one I just
'inherited' from a college student was raised on Friskies Indoor dry
food and won't touch the Cat Chow. So, when it's all gone won't buy any
more. Shesh!

And I quit any more vaccinations a few years ago since they never go
outdoors. Just have annual ck-up exams.

Neighbor's two outdoor cats share a can of moist food in the morning and
eat about a cup of dry food during the day.

Marv

Old February 20th 12, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Marv" wrote in message
I found more savings by just switching from Arm & Hammer litter to cheaper
Pet Pride, both for 'Multi-Cats.' Seems to clump just as well and includes
the "crystal deodorizers. I had tried a store brand a long time ago
without good results, but my current cats didn't seem to notice.

I buy Cat's Pride litter at Publix. It's a lot less expensive than Arm &
Hammer or Tidy Cats and clumps just as well. It's also in a larger
container so it lasts longer. (I didn't care for the strong scent of the
Arm & Hammer litter.)

I also switched from cans of Friskies to the store brand (H.E.B.) for my
Sr. cat that had been more particular, but he eats just the same. Still
doesn't eat too much dry food (Cat Chow), while the younger one I just
'inherited' from a college student was raised on Friskies Indoor dry food
and won't touch the Cat Chow. So, when it's all gone won't buy any more.
Shesh!

Picky picky!

And I quit any more vaccinations a few years ago since they never go
outdoors. Just have annual ck-up exams.

Yes, I think I'll talk to Persia's vet about no more vaccinations.

Old February 22nd 12, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Normally during the week Persia eats prescription dry kibble. But she
loves her Sunday Fancy Feast Lately I've been sneaking in the
store-brand version of FF. It's about 5 cents less per can. Even less if
it's on sale. I read labels and I can't discern any difference. Persia
doesn't seem to mind. She still prances around yelling at me while I fill
her bowl with gooshy food. LOL She eats it up. Do you buy store brands
as substitutes for FF?

If she likes store brands I would continue to buy it for her.
Boyfie has been tried out with store brands but he doesn't like them much.
He likes Whiskas pouches in any flavour they have, all of them, in any boxes
with all those different flavours unlike his cousin Tigger, who will only
agree to eat out of the Green Whiskas box with only 3 out of the 4 flavours
acceptable. Tigger will not eat the prawn flavour so sometimes he donates
it to Boyfie/
Boyfie thinks that having been a lost cat, it's best to eat everything you
can.

Old February 23rd 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

When Patches first adopted me, he'd eat everything in sight, and was
rather obese from freeloading all over the neighborhood where people fed
their cats outdoors. Once he realized there was always food there when
he wanted it, he slimmed down quite a bit. (Also learned to be finicky
in a very short period of time.)
Old February 23rd 12, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

When Patches first adopted me, he'd eat everything in sight, and was
rather obese from freeloading all over the neighborhood where people fed
their cats outdoors. Once he realized there was always food there when he
wanted it, he slimmed down quite a bit. (Also learned to be finicky in a
very short period of time.)

Finicky will come on when they realise there is always food and they can
choose what they like.
Finicky is not allowed here. Unless they are ill.

Old February 23rd 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

When Patches first adopted me, he'd eat everything in sight, and was
rather obese from freeloading all over the neighborhood where people fed
their cats outdoors. Once he realized there was always food there when
he wanted it, he slimmed down quite a bit. (Also learned to be finicky
in a very short period of time.)

That's interesting. It makes sense to me. It's common for people (and
cats, too, apparently) to binge when they've experienced hunger, and their
body "fears" scarcity - by which I mean that their body is on alert to do
whatever it can do to obtain calories, and to conserve the ones it has
already. Since people have the power of thought and reason, this impulse
has to be pretty strong to override common sense. And it is pretty strong
for a lot of people. Furthermore, your body doesn't know the difference
between voluntary and involuntary hunger. It just knows that it doesn't
have enough to live on and has to consume itself for energy.

I wouldn't be surprised if this mechanism is true for all mammals. I
don't know about birds. Reptiles have a totally different metabolism
because they need a lot less fuel than we warm-blooded creatures do.

--
Joyce

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
-- Joseph Wood Krutch

Old February 23rd 12, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2012-02-22 10:42 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
et wrote in message
When Patches first adopted me, he'd eat everything in sight, and was
rather obese from freeloading all over the neighborhood where people fed
their cats outdoors. Once he realized there was always food there when he
wanted it, he slimmed down quite a bit. (Also learned to be finicky in a
very short period of time.)

Finicky will come on when they realise there is always food and they can
choose what they like.
Finicky is not allowed here. Unless they are ill.

I have friends who had a cat some years back who practically defined
'finicky'. She (the cat, of course) would eat only tuna flavour of only
one particular brand. And then, that brand stopped manufacturing that
flavour! The humans went all over town collecting cans of it and
fortunately got enough to see her through her remaining time on earth.

I've always deliberately fed my cats a variety of food to avoid
finicky-ness. It doesn't always work - the current residents don't like
canned food, so I've given up buying it or even trying a new flavour for
them. But they'll eat any kind of dry food - some more happily and
quickly than others, perhaps, but they do eat it all.

--
Cheryl
Old February 23rd 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
When Patches first adopted me, he'd eat everything in sight, and was
rather obese from freeloading all over the neighborhood where people fed
their cats outdoors. Once he realized there was always food there when he
wanted it, he slimmed down quite a bit. (Also learned to be finicky in a
very short period of time.)

Finicky will come on when they realise there is always food and they can
choose what they like.
Finicky is not allowed here. Unless they are ill.

Well, I treat finicky cats like we were treated as kids: "If you don't
like what's served, you can wait for the next meal". (Being kids during
the Great Depression, hunger usually won out over finickiness.)