chester and the back door

Old February 21st 12, 05:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Default chester and the back door

we have been in the house about fifty days, he has worked out the back door,
i guess i didn't have it locked but when i turned my back he let himself and
MH out for an afternoon stroll, everyone is back in and safe now, Lee

Old February 22nd 12, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

he is very clever, in fact a bit too clever, MH is terribly amased by
chester, as MH is a cat that prefers to be a lap fungus and occasionally
play with a mousee... but then chester is mamazing to most people, chester
loves everyone and everyone loves chester, Lee
"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Storrmmee
wrote:
we have been in the house about fifty days, he has worked out the back
door, i guess i didn't have it locked but when i turned my back he let
himself and MH out for an afternoon stroll, everyone is back in and
safe now, Lee

What a clever boy. I bet MH thinks he's a fun friend.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old February 23rd 12, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

How did he do this? Can he operate doorknobs? I know some cats can.
Boyfie is able to open the door from my living room (where I leave him
overnight) to the stairs so he can wait, usually patiently, outside my
bedroom door for me to wake up. The moment he hears my breathing change, he
meows.
The door has a pull down type of lever, as do most of my internal doors but
I've never seen him bother with any of the other ones. Actually, I haven't
seen how he does it at all.
Tweed

Old February 23rd 12, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

How did he do this? Can he operate doorknobs? I know some cats can.
Boyfie is able to open the door from my living room (where I leave him
overnight) to the stairs so he can wait, usually patiently, outside my
bedroom door for me to wake up. The moment he hears my breathing change, he
meows.

My cats do this, too. But I've always wondered if it was the other way
around - they meow, causing me to start waking up.

--
Joyce

- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
- I wrote Disney and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney.
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old February 23rd 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
we have been in the house about fifty days, he has worked out the back
door, i guess i didn't have it locked but when i turned my back he let
himself and MH out for an afternoon stroll, everyone is back in and safe
now, Lee

My clothes-closets have heavy wooden sliding doors. They require a good
strong push from met to open them, yet Cendrillon (the smaller of my two
cats) has no problem at all with them, when she wants "in"! It's
astonishing what a determined cat can accomplish. (Of course, I had a
voice teacher whose Great Dane could open any unlocked door in their
house, but her mouth was big enough to fit around the standard knob and
turn it.)
Old February 23rd 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

(Of course, I had a
voice teacher whose Great Dane could open any unlocked door in their
house, but her mouth was big enough to fit around the standard knob and
turn it.)

What a great image!

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
Old February 23rd 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

How did he do this? Can he operate doorknobs? I know some cats can.
Boyfie is able to open the door from my living room (where I leave him
overnight) to the stairs so he can wait, usually patiently, outside my
bedroom door for me to wake up. The moment he hears my breathing
change, he
meows.

My cats do this, too. But I've always wondered if it was the other way
around - they meow, causing me to start waking up.

I don't think so, in my case. I am a very poor sleeper and I would wake
immediately if he meowed but he never seems to do it until I wake naturally,
which can be anytime within a 4 hour period.
If he was meowing to wake me up, I'd expect him to do it around the same
time every day.
Tweed

Old February 24th 12, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

the door in the kitchen
is a sliding glass door, two large paynes one of which moves in a track to
open and let you in/out, outside that is a screen that also slides, on the
screen is a plastic latch that you push down to lock it, and either he has
worked out how to push it up, or i didn't have it latched and he put his
claws in the tiny opening and just pulled the screen open...

dh said he has been watching me intently when i opened it and locked it, and
he has been spending lots of time on the chair i keep by the back door to
sit on...

he learned how to undo the one in the old house about two motnhs before it
burnt, and neither of us would have beleived it except dh saw him jump onto
the chair, put his paws up and in the finger slot open the latch and then
grab the edge with his claws extended and he was out the back before dh knew
what happened...

so i should have known he would work this one out as it is flatter and wider
so better for a mancat to get open, ;;;

as to those pull down handles, he is working on that as well. one of the
upgrades we chose was all the doors in the house have pull down handles
instead of doorknobs, only one closet and the furnace closet have bifold
doors, so he has been watching us use those very closely as well, so i am
grateful all of the outside doors open in, Lee"Christina Websell"

Old February 25th 12, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

yes he is, had you met him he would be a cat for you, he has all the pluses
of a cat, and a lot of the pluses of a dog, he comes when called, he sits,
he wants to go for walks, and he is content to sit next to you and purr, Lee