Persia's off her Feed

Old July 4th 12, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia's off her Feed

Persia was rather overweight for years. The prescription kibble seems to
have helped in that regard, although it took a while. But now she doesn't
seem to want to eat it. She fusses and complains and acts like she doesn't
have any food in her bowl. Now I'm worried. She'll gobble up a can of
Fancy Feast in an instant.

With the dry food, she doesn't throw up all over the (yikes! white) carpet
like she used to. But I'm not used to seeing her back down to about 10 lbs.
And she cries for food when the bowl of kibble is full. She's drinking
water, pooping and peeing normally. She's just off her food and I don't
know why. They do make a canned variety which I will try if they let me buy
just a few cans

I think a trip to the vet is in order. Fortunately the vet will make house
calls, albeit it costs extra. But that may be better than her vomiting in
the carrier. I really don't need a sick cat on top of trying to sell this
house ASAP.

Persia wanders into the living room and starts crying at the top of her
lungs. Lord knows I'd do anything to make her feel better. She sleeps with
me, she snuggles next to me on the couch. We play together with her toys.
I brush her. Other than not wanting to eat that food anymore (which is
stored in an airtight bin) I don't know what it is she wants. It could
possibly be her teeth. Maybe it hurts her to eat the dry kibble? She did
have a molar pulled a few years ago, before she had to have the radioactive
isotope therapy.

I'm asking for purrs for Persia. I really can't deal with the stress at
once.

Jill

Old July 4th 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs are on the way. I agree that getting a vet's opinion is a very good
idea. How great that your vet will make house calls. I wish I could find
one that did.

Joy

Old July 4th 12, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I'm asking for purrs for Persia. I really can't deal with the stress at
once.

Purrs for Persia. she is
getting toward elderly and might have kidney issues starting.

Don't panic.

Old July 5th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I'm asking for purrs for Persia. I really can't deal with the stress at
once.

Purrs for Persia. she is
getting toward elderly and might have kidney issues starting.

Don't panic.

Thanks for the purrs. I'm not panicking. Just wondering. She may just be
tired of the dry food. I know I'd get bored if I ate pretty much the same
thing day after day. I'm thinking this could possibly be a problem with her
teeth. And that can turn into something serious and yes, affect other
organs.

Persia gets so upset on the drive to the vet she gets very sick. I'll pay
extra for her vet to to come to my home to give her a "senior" work-up.
They have a van with portable equipment for all sorts of veterinary tests.
I really don't want to upset Persia more than necessary.

Jill

Old July 5th 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm with you, Jill! Now that I know Pickles is panicked by being put into a
cat carrier, I'm searching for a vet who will make house calls. Since she's
indoor-only, I'd rather have her skip her shots in the meantime, rather than
put her through that (dis)stress.

Joy

Old July 5th 12, 08:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

Persia was rather overweight for years. The prescription
kibble seems to have helped in that regard, although it took a
while. But now she doesn't seem to want to eat it. She fusses
and complains and acts like she doesn't have any food in her
bowl. Now I'm worried. She'll gobble up a can of Fancy Feast
in an instant.
I think a trip to the vet is in order...

Indeed. Purrs-a-plenty for Persia.

... It could possibly be her teeth. Maybe it hurts her to eat
the dry kibble?

That's quite likely. I'm sure the vet will check this out.

--
MatSav

Old July 5th 12, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I hope you can find one! This is a very small practice (one vet, her
partner who is the groomer, a couple of vet techs). I was quite surprised
to learn she makes house calls. The van has their very stylized logo
emblazoned on the side I'll give her a call this afternoon. First
there's a woman coming here to look at/hopefully buy my grandmother's china.
I really don't want to have to move it *again*.

Jill

Old July 5th 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Persia wanders into the living room and starts crying at the top
of her lungs. I don't know what it is she wants. [...] She did
have a molar pulled a few years ago, before she had to have the
radioactive isotope therapy.

Isn't random crying sometimes a symptom of thyroid disorder? Maybe
she needs her thyroid medication levels adjusted.

Old July 5th 12, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Persia wanders into the living room and starts crying at the top
of her lungs. I don't know what it is she wants. [...] She did
have a molar pulled a few years ago, before she had to have the
radioactive isotope therapy.

Isn't random crying sometimes a symptom of thyroid disorder? Maybe
she needs her thyroid medication levels adjusted.

She's not on thyroid medication. She was allergic to it. She had
radioactive isotope therapy and spent two weeks in a clinic. It's rare
there is a recurrence of this condition, but it can happen. I hope that's
not what this is. I can't afford another $900.

Jill

Old July 8th 12, 11:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Jill - how did the vet appointment go?

Joyce