Cell phones in the USA

Old January 29th 04, 12:57 AM
David Stevenson

Default Cell phones in the USA

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old January 29th 04, 01:17 AM
Hans Schrøder

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Nanki Poo: SI Bp+W B 10 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P B+ PA+ PL+ SC
Minke: SI W+Cp B 1 Y++ L-- W- C+

I don't get this, really, why do you want to have a US cell phone if you
live in Liverpool, England, UK?

Anyway, incoming calls are free, unless you have taken the phone abroad,
because then the caller pays for a domestic call, but you pay the difference
for going abroad.

--
Hans

Old January 29th 04, 02:07 AM
Yowie

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

Dunno about there, but here in Oz, you can buy a "pre-paid" mobile for about
$100, and then pay for your calls as you go (When you buy a "pre-paid"
phone, you usually get about $50 of call credit with it). Once your call
credit runs out, you have to buy some more, but call credit can last up to a
year.

The other way to go is to get onto a "plan". I paid nothing for my mobile
but have to pay $10 a month to the phone company whether I make calls or
not. For that $10, I get $5 worth of call credits a month, but they don't
"roll over", and its a *heinious* per minute rate. But since I don't make
alot of calls (about $5 worth a month) it the best "plan" for me. I'm
contracted to the phone company for 2 years under this deal, ie, I have to
pay my $10 every month for 24 months whether or not I use the phone, lose
it, buy another, or change phone companies.

Of course, this doens't help Dave at all...

Yowie

Old January 29th 04, 02:33 AM
badwilson

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

I don't know about the USA, but when we still lived in Canada, you did have
to pay for incoming calls. Here in Thailand, the person calling the cell
pays. Also in Canada, you used to be able to get free or very cheap cell
phones if you sign up for their 3 year plan. I don't know if they still
have that.
Speaking of cell phones, I just got a new one, a handy little tri-band
(Nokia 7210) that I can use anywhere in the world by just buying the local
sim card with a pay as you go plan.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old January 29th 04, 02:37 AM
David Stevenson

Hans Schrøder wrote
"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

I don't get this, really, why do you want to have a US cell phone if you
live in Liverpool, England, UK?

Because I want it for use in the USA [note the commendable restraint].

Anyway, incoming calls are free, unless you have taken the phone abroad,
because then the caller pays for a domestic call, but you pay the difference
for going abroad.

Are you sure this is the case in the USA?

Old January 29th 04, 02:48 AM
Jo Firey

I have no idea how long you will be in the USA or how often, but you can
sometimes rent a cell phone the same place you rent a car for the duration
of your stay.

Same with hotels, many will rent cell phones for a few days.

Jo

Old January 29th 04, 02:58 AM
John Biltz

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:57:37 -0800, David Stevenson wrote
(in message ):

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

There are all kinds of plans, some like that. Most of them tend to be
local or regional, it would help to know where you need it for. I am
guessing you will be travelling and want to have a phone you can be
called on. I have even heard of temporary throw away phones being
developed, but I don't know if it ever came out. The biggest problem
would be finding one that doesn't want a contract. Honestly the place
most likely to have it would be a place at the airport. I found this
doing a search tourist+cellular if you added the city to that it would
probably give you what you need. There were 110,000 hits.

http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/phones.html

Something I did not know was you can rent one by the day at most car
rentals. $5 to $10 bucks a day is normal

Cellular Telephones

There are two different types of cellular telephone systems in the USA:
The old analog system and the new digital system. Both systems are not
compatible with European telephone equipment. Some European Nokia
equipment can be made compatible by changing a "smart card". You better
buy such a card before departure, as they are difficult to find in the
US. Check the US roaming rates with your service provider. They may
charge you high prices.

You can rent cellular telephones at most car rental agencies. They
require a credit card deposit and charge about $5 t $10 per day rent, but
the on-air time can be very expensive. ($1.25 to $1.80 per minute) In the
US, you are charged for minutes of airtime on incoming calls as well as
for outgoing calls. When you travel away from the home cellular area, you
may be charged even higher roaming charges, and you will still need a
credit card or prepaid calling card to make long distance or
international calls.

You can purchase prepaid cellular calling cards from many service
providers with airtime rates of 30 cents to 70 cents a minute, but you
will be subjected to much higher roaming charges when you leave their
local calling area. The cards normally cover only your air-time, so you
will also need a credit card or prepaid calling card to cover
long-distance and international calls.

Old January 29th 04, 03:18 AM
Annie Wxill

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
Hans Schrøder wrote

Anyway, incoming calls are free, unless you have taken the phone abroad,
because then the caller pays for a domestic call, but you pay the

difference
for going abroad.

Are you sure this is the case in the USA?
David Stevenson

David,
I haven't looked at plans lately, but we buy a certain number of minutes and
both incoming and outgoing calls count toward time used. My husband and I
share a plan with two phones. When we call each other's cell, it counts as
incoming on one and outgoing on the other.
I suggest that you look on the Internet to find sites of cell phone
providers and look at the plans offered. Be sure to watch out for plans that
make you sign up for a period of time because the fees to drop out early can
be hefty. Also, you may have to buy a compatible phone, which would up the
costs.
I hope you have a good visit.
Annie, noting commendable restraint, indeed

Old January 29th 04, 04:01 AM
Victor Martinez

David Stevenson wrote:
Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?

We just got two free cell phones with a 2 yr contract with ATT. Top of
the line cell phones, with camera and all. We have a shared plan with a
heck of a lot more minutes than we can possibly use and nationwide long
distance/roaming.

Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

Yes, they count towards your minutes.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 29th 04, 04:08 AM
badwilson

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
Hans Schrøder wrote
"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

I don't get this, really, why do you want to have a US cell phone if you
live in Liverpool, England, UK?

Because I want it for use in the USA [note the commendable restraint].

I'd have to recommend a tri-band phone. That way you can use it at home in
England and when you get to the US you can just get one of those set number
of hours for a certain amount of money plans. You usually get a little sim
card and you can get plans for around $30. This way you can use it anywhere
you travel, if you happen to go to any other continents, you can always
bring your one phone. Your phone number would change from what it was in
England though.